1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by waitwhat, Jan 24, 2015.

?

Do you want to get married one day?

1. Yes

60 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. I don't know

30 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Other

8 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. SomeLeviathan

no, I hope to end up in a long term committed relationship with someone which will probably culminate in a common law marriage but I don't really see myself ever propose to anyone myself.

this also isn't as important because I can just keep my last name, but I'm going into academia, so I need to keep my name recognition when publishing papers and stuff. that isn't a barrier that is not impossible to overcome but it's something I have to think about.

2. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely. I've always wanted to have a family. The only thing that's changed since then is the gender of my partner and where my children come from. I would prefer to elope, but maybe I'll have a small ceremony for family/friends.

3. juliegt6

Financially, marriage is an awful thing if it leads to divorce. That said I love my partner and we both are hoping this relationship is the one. Whether we get married or not, I'd love to spend the rest of my life with her.

If I got married it would be simple and cheap. Keep it under 1k total.

4. Tohru-Chan

Maybe some day. But it wouldn't bother me to live common-law, which is kind of like being married but without the messy divorces ;D

5. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I ever did get married, it would be for the legal/financial benefits and nothing more.

And as far as the ceremony goes...frankly, there wouldn't be one. I hate the idea of a big, over-the-top ceremony with friends and family present (or anyone) present. I don't understand why I should flaunt my love for another person in front of everyone I know. I feel like it's a private thing that I should keep between me and my partner only. And the fact that it would be between me and another guy rather than a woman just makes the whole thing even more awkward for me. And yes, I know it shouldn't be that way, and the fact that I feel that way is telling of all the homophobia still in society and that I still have internalized, but for better or for worse, it's there and I don't think it's going anywhere soon.

I don't mean to put anyone who likes the idea of a wedding ceremony down. If someone else likes the idea of having a big ceremony with friends and family present, that's fine and I don't judge anyone for feeling that way. I'm not saying that how I feel is the right way or the only way to feel about this subject, it's just my personal preferences.

6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely a yes! Kabuki explained it perfectly: we'll have a simple matrimony first, and we'll do a more formal ceremony later. We want to get married as soon as possible. :icon_bigg

7. Rosie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. Mostly for the pretty dress, though. And the cake. And the dances. Ok, the whole experience of a wedding day is just something that I'd love to have one day... soon...

8. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Probably not.

9. timo

I don't know, maybe. We'll see.

I would have to move back to the Netherlands for it though. Or could I, as a Dutch person, marry there while I'm still living somewhere else? :/

10. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not to fussed about it right now but I do think I would like to get married one day.

11. Joelouis

Yes, definitely.

12. Rainbows~Exist

Definitely. But only with the person I love... I don't want to marry someone who I'll become indifferent to.

13. CrazyAwkward

I don't know. Growing up I was always very against the idea. Marriage was just a piece of paper, something I didn't need to prove I was committed to someone for the long haul. But as I got older I kinda started to see the appeal of marriage. I think it's a nice gesture. I guess if the right person came along I would. I don't think I'd want a huge blowout thing though, if that ever happens.

14. SonicBoom

I don't see myself getting married in the near future.

Maybe one day.

15. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see why I wouldn't, with it being legal here and all. If I ever meet someone who meshes well with me (and who can actually put up with my bad jokes) and who I really love, I'd have no problem devoting my life to them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

As for the actual ceremony... Okay, call me a cheeseball, but I've always thought it would be awesome to get married by one of those Elvis impersonators. Eloping to fucking Vegas. How much fun would that be?

16. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm open to getting married. I wouldn't want to go all out on the celebrations. I certainly don't want to get married in the courthouse. I would like a small private wedding. Honestly, I probably wouldn't invite any of my relatives. Even if I were marrying a guy, I still wouldn't want them to be there.

17. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Possibly.

It would have to be as low-key as possible though, as I hate being in the limelight for anything. The biggest reason I hate my birthday is because family members and friends treat is as 'my day', which causes far too much attention to be shifted on to me. >.<

18. tscott

I was married for 25 years. I still love my ex. I enjoy being married the stability, companionship, affection - love. It's difficult at times, but if you're committed you endure and grow. If I don't find the right person, then I wouldn't get married. It's as simple and as complicated as that.

19. iiimee

I don't know. If I really like somebody and thing we could make it work, I would like to get married. However... they must respect my... refusal of being entered vaginally. I also don't know if we'd adopt kids or not. In all honesty, I don't know if I'd be a good parent, though I'd try my hardest to be! But if my partner doesn't want kids, I am SUPER ok with that... Seriously, toddlers annoy me. -_-

20. JT7314

:grin:small wedding....or...eloping....but i still want to wear the dress!