1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is league of legends homophobic?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by markosss, Jan 19, 2015.

1. markosss

I thought LOL was gay friendly because while loading it said that the tribunal vote against homophobic and racist behavior (or something like that I cant remember excacly what it said) But today I heard dr mundos taunt. I find it offensive, I cant bieleve they made him say that. I hope that I dident heard right what he said..:frowning2:

2. I'm pretty sure his taunt is
    "mundo thinks you're a big sissy"
    which I'm not sure would be homophobic because he just says that he thinks his opponents are weak and scared, which is kind of what you would expect in a competitive trashtalk type environment
    ... but I don't know it could be interpereted in many ways
    i personally don't find it homophobic but I'm interested in what others will have to say about it :wink:

3. Buttermilk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    According to the wiki, it says his taunt is "Mundo think you a big sissy! (laughs)". But yeah, my thoughts are along the lines of what oohkeagiechuu said.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe not the game itself, but the ethical level of many League of Legends players is pretty low.

I remember when the community was racist, sexist, homophobic and transphobic. Now they are just ableist.

5. markosss

I dident knew what the word exactly mean so I search it .wikipedia says " sissy is apejorative term for a boy or man who violates or does not meet the standard male gender role. Generally,sissy implies a lack of courage,strength,coordination,testosterone, male libido, and stoicism, which have traditionally been important to the male role. A man might also be considered a sissy for being interested in traditionally feminine hobbies or employment (e.g., being fond of fashion), displaying effeminate behavior (e.g. using hair products or displaying limp wrists), being unathletic, or being homosexual". So mundo says to his opponent that he looks like a big sissy and then laughts. I think thats pretty offensive. Also I agree that some members of the lol community are sexists , racists and homophobes but I dident expected the same from the game disigners.I really love the game so I hope this is used just to say that his opponent is weak.

#5 markosss, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  6. arkangel

Not as long as taric is in the game.:lol:

7. Lazuri

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I SINCERELY doubt Riot made Mundo's taunt to offend homosexuals and its intention should be clear to just about everybody. Game developers shouldn't have to walk on eggshells all the time in fear of offending people over what is ultimately harmless.

The players I agree are terrible, but it's out of Riot's control. LoL has almost 30 million unique users every day and it's impossible to police them all. Just report, block, move on and hope the toxic player is removed.

8. KingJude

Yeah, I've NEVER heard sissy used to refer to a homosexual. A sissy is just a coward... But I guess that Wikipedia article is quite misleading. I think what it means is that some people accuse gays of being 'sissies', but the word can be applied to anybody who's a coward.

9. markosss

Oh I see I dident knew how the word is used. I just searched it and found the article .I guess I was wrong :icon_redf

10. KingJude

Don't beat yourself up about it! That article is very misleading! Calling someone a sissy is still offensive, just not directly homophobic. Especially if English is your first language, it's an incredibly easy mistake to make, and if I learnt Greek, I'm sure I'd make some similar mistakes! More so than you, I'm sure, as your English is excellent! :icon_bigg

11. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me, my boyfriend and lots if out friends (gay and straight) play LoL. The game is great, the problem is that Riot doesn't ban enough ragers, so the community is extremely toxic against all kinds of people. However It is a fun game if you play with friends.

12. Lazuri

I agree.

But like I said before, the game gets like 30 million unique users daily, you can't police them all. That's why they put the tribunal in place but it's kind of broken TBH since the idiots who commit these offenses are the ones judging others like themselves. I honestly can't come up with a better system, though...

But if you play almost exclusively with friends like I do, you don't have to suffer toxic teammates, only opponents and they're much more manageable; just put on ignore and keep pissing him off with superior skills.

13. DoriaN

Sissy gets used as a slang in certain homosexual groups, but it's main word usage is to denote someone weak or coward.

To 95%+ of the world it has no slang outside that meaning, so no they are not homophobic.

Not everyone is out to get the gays =|

14. Q-Tip

I am. I hate them darn tootin butt munchers! How can they be happy?

15. markosss

Ty! :slight_smile: you are so kind!(*hug*)