1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fat Acceptance: Helpful or Hurtful?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tabitha, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nothing wrong with being big, sometimes it's naturally healthier for an individual. I honestly wish I was told that as a kid, so I wouldn't become self conscious about myself and fall into a horrible cycle of becoming, ironically enough, an emotional eater.

Fat shaming is horrible and needs to be curbed.

Edit: I'm not saying being morbidly obese, like "My 600 Pound Life" is healthy, but this whole "epidemic" on obesity is overblown and people like George Clooney and Michael Jordan are considered overweight/obese according to the BMI. It's dangerous and puts a horrible spin on what people need to mould themselves into. Some people, depending on their body type, have a hard time gaining/losing weight, and it's almost impossible to reach a "healthy size" according to the BMI. Even when I was 110-115 pounds, I was still almost overweight. Two of my cousins can't gain weight for the life of them and are underweight--screwed over by the charts doctors use.

#61 Daydreamer1, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. CyanChachki

I totally agree with Imnotreallysure. Fat shaming is terrible and I have fallen victim to it many times. It doesn't do anything but make me want to eat more. It makes me feel terrible about my condition and depressed because I allowed myself to get this far. I do want to make a positive change. I want to lose weight but it's like an addiction. You can want to do it and try to take the steps but getting off of any kind of bad food is hard and distressing.

But we shouldn't encourage it either. Instead, we should encourage people in a nice, positive way to get in shape and be healthy. It's made me angry, numerous times that they don't have anything for people with over eating issues but rather just let them sort it out on their own as if there's nothing to worry about because it's not as easy as getting up off the couch and going for a walk or driving to the pool and doing laps. It's really not and that's something that everyone needs to understand.

3. BloodFlame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Very touchy subject. I do believe that people should live the way they want. But it's hard for me to pretend that it's healthy when a person can't walk or has lots of conditions caused by their obesity.

But the thing is, I feel that some people with their opinion of fat girls is very skewed. I do believe you can be healthy and carry a bit of weight. I feel that as long as the person can move, that's all that matters. I only say that because I feel it must be hard to not be able to move when you're morbidly obese.

4. Tabitha

Tabitha Guest

Okay, on a lighter note we went shopping today and she made this face - then proceeded to go, "hey, hey, hey" like Fat Albert. So at least she has a sense of humor about it lol

Minimal effort to make that face too lol

Attached Files:

5. Tabitha

Tabitha Guest

Didn't like the crown of flowers I gave her lol

Attached Files:

6. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not only overweight, but obese. I know this and I have been working on it, but it is so hard. I have lost between 75&100 pounds, but I still have another 80 that I want to lose, and the BMI says I need to lose 130, not going to happen.

7. Tabitha

Tabitha Guest

Oh, that's nothing! My friend is at least 350 lbs overweight! Super obese!

8. Silver Springs

I think it is absolutely ridiculous... My parents an their families have all struggled with weight issues (though I'm a little think myself), and they have never treated it as anything less than a significant health issue which should be fought, not meekly accepted.

9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I don't know. I mean, I know it's not good for me being overweight. I'm not morbidly obese but I know my fat collects in areas that aren't exactly the safest or best (like my gut), and I've had a lot of problems with eating and gaining weight since I was a kid.

I guess, thinking back, if I'd grown up hearing my mom say "you know, I'm concerned about your health and I want to help you", that would have been one thing. But it was always "oh, you're going to be as fat as me and you don't want that. You could've been attractive and it's a shame. Why haven't you lost the weight yet? You're lazy."

That all came from a woman who literally ate nothing but pizza and spaghetti while I was growing up...

I know there's a lot I could do better. I need to get out more. I need to eat better.

But I feel like being fat or overweight shouldn't be treated as some moral failing or a sign that someone's a failure at being a human being. Some people are naturally going to be bigger. Other people just might need some guidance in helping them shed the weight or improving their lifestyle.