Do you want a monogamous relationship? Why?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Burnedcloset, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm okay with one but personally it's not ideal for me, but it's perfectly okay, I just have the capacity to love many people! Polyamory is more my ideal. :slight_smile: I'd rather not have separate relationships though, I'd rather it be more like a family! Idk... Something like that!

2. thekillingmoon

I wasn't expressing approval or disapproval of polyamorous relationships, so I will ask you again to please stop putting words in my mouth. I don't care what other people do. So you're saying I'm not allowed to have an opinion on how love works? That's too bad because I do and I don't see how that invalidates anyone's relationship. I'm not asking you to agree with it.

3. Hexagon

Sure, you're allowed an opinion. It just happens to be invalidating to others. Could you provide an alternative suggestion of what the piece I quoted could imply? I'm afraid I can't read it in any way that doesn't imply polyamorous relationships are inferior.

I'll put it more simply. You are saying that you don't believe a person can love more than one person at the same time to the same degree. Correct? Most people would say that love is the primary factor in determining the quality of the relationship, so by that logic, poly relationships have a lower quality than mono relationships. That is inherently invalidating to anyone in a poly relationship.

And I wasn't putting words in your mouth, I was quoting, then interpreting your words as best I could. A large portion of what people are communicating isn't stated directly, and this must be taken into account when understanding, and disagreeing, with someone's position.

#43 Hexagon, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  4. tscott

Monogamy. It's that with which I'm comfortable.

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Monogamy works for some, Poly works for others. Neither is right or wrong, so there's no need to bash either side.

Monogamous people are not that way because of 'social constructs', they're that way because It's who they are internally. Many even try poly and it doesn't work for them. I hate when poly people make this argument; or else should we say that all heterosexual people are only that way because of social constructs too and they'll discover they like being in same sex relationships if they 'stop being so close minded toward them'?

It's the same with poly people; not everyone can be monogamous, It's not in their nature. It's not bad or a 'slutty' thing, it just means they're happier with more than one person.

I'm monogamous yes, but that doesn't mean I don't understand why open relationships and poly exist for some people, and I -have- defended it against many people who are morally opposed to it.

Regardless if someone is mono or poly they have to understand their relationship style works for THEM and to STOP trying to over analyze why the other side isn't like them.

6. Aquilo

People are perfectly able to have multiple strong emotional bonds with multiple family members and friends, so I don't see why you couldn't love more than one person. Although I understand that for some people either monogamy or polygamy would be more preferred.

But I think I'd prefer a monogamous or possibly an open relationship. It would be too much trouble for me to find a third person, so I think it'd depend on what my partner would want.

#46 Aquilo, Dec 10, 2014
  7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

For me sex and romance/love are closely linked and my limited experience so far has not included a single instance of being attracted to more than 1 person at a time.
    So, it might be possible that I will be in a non-monogamous relationship in the future, if I happen to find two people who love me and each other.
    But I don't think it's likely.

Fully support those who are though. The more love the better! :icon_wink

8. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I could and would honestly contemplate a polygamous relationship if the opportunity ever came along. Of course, I'd have to be attracted to all other parties involved in it.

But monogamous relationships are just as good, IMO.

9. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer one person to love. But I'd be open to the idea of my special someone having another partner.

10. Ryujin

I think I'm open to both, possibly more comfortable in a polyamourous relationship, but also happy with a monogamous relationship.

11. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think you can love more than one person, and Id gladly be in a relationship with someone who was polyamorous etc, but personally, I would prefer a monogamous relationship, but who knows?

12. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

[​IMG]

You believe what you believe, you see what you like to see.

I know what I know, and I see what I see.

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    She is entitled to her opinion I think you should respect that raven it's remember that time you told me to leave that other person alone because we saw bisexuality two different ways .
    I think you should take your own advice .
    She likes monogamous relationships and you like poly relationships both of you should just do what feels right to you . maybe poly relationships doesn't work for her like it does for you . Some people can be poly others can't .
    Why don't we just accept that and stop bashing one another for it .

14. littlemonster11

Personally, I'd prefer being in a monogamous relationship, due to my personality. Besides me getting jealous easily, I don't think I could mentally handle a polygamous relationship. Hell, it's already stressful enough being in a monogamous one. :lol: But seriously, I can see myself settling down with one person, so yeah.

I respect anybody who is open to polyamory, however. Black Raven's post in the beginning of the thread made a very good point on it.

15. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I'm sorry Stocking, I'm afraid I can't do that.

As Hexagon pointed out, she's not just sharing her opinion, she is literally saying she does not believe even OTHERS are able to love more than one person. This implies that while she generally doesn't care if others have poly relationships, she does not think those who do can actually love all in that relationship like a monogamous person loves just one, hence she degrades poly relationship for those who do attempt (and succeed at) them.

I can absolutely accept poly not working out for some/most people, and if someone prefers monogamy, but I won't have anyone telling me who and how many I can love at a time.

I simply know better. I've been there, I experienced it, I -did- what she thinks is impossible.
    That's why haters gonna hate, and she's just a poor, bitter git in my opinion.

#55 Black Raven, Dec 10, 2014
  16. thekillingmoon

It meant I don't see how it's possible, hence I don't believe it personally. Didn't say anyone's relationship was inferior or that people in poly relationships were incapable of love. Frankly I don't care enough about this topic to debate it. You have your opinion, I have mine. Let's leave it at that.

17. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

If you don't care enough to debate, there's the door! :smilewave

Don't let it hit you on the arse on your way out.

18. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Polyamory? Sure why not! I think I'm the perfect candidate for it.

19. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well you're right you know what works better for you than one one else I agree
    but I don't think she was against anyone else having poly relationships .

20. thekillingmoon

Funny I don't remember when I told you anything. Gotta love it when people resort to personal insults because they don't like your opinion. Don't worry this will be my last post in this thread, being a keyboard warrior is not my idea of time well spent.