Why do people think that makeup makes you shallow?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by puppiesarecute, Dec 7, 2014.

1. puppiesarecute

I know this is partially a good thing, but I think that it's also unconventionally double standarded, at my my school, if they view you as male and you wear makeup then most people are like "it's great that you are expressing who you are on the inside, f*ck gender roles!", but if you are viewed as female, wearing makeup makes you shallow. It's just like, am I not allowed to present myself to the world the way I want to be seen? Must I go out insecure and not really feeling like myself? Am I not allowed to express myself? It's weird and reversed and not everyone does this, but there are just some people who just act like they are so much better than me and other girls who wear makeup. Like it makes me a conformist. Some people just don't understand that I don't wear makeup to cover up insecurities, I wear make to be more of myself. Sometimes I don't wear makeup. Sometimes I look in the mirror and it reflects my image of myself. But sometimes, that image has gold eyeshadow and silver eyeliner, or pink lipgloss, or berry lipstick, or black eyeliner, and why should anyone stop me from being who I feel I am? Or from being that image? Why does that make me shallow?

2. shinji

shinji Guest

Having had worked with a lot of models and a few makeup artists, i can tell you one thing. If you aren't doing a photoshoot, then go by this rule:

"Makeup should be used to enhance natural beauty, not as a shield to hide all your beautiful features behind."

Regardless of gender, makeup in excess will make you look shallow.

3. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In the school I was in, a boy wearing makeup would have got reactions like "wow what a creepy weirdo". Not that it was allowed anyway, makeup was strictly forbidden for anyone, girls and boys. But I guess some people think that girls who wear makeup are too obsessed with the way they look and not who they are as human beings, which is why they're considered shalllow... I don't know, this is just a guess. And while that's certainly true of some people, it's definitely not true of everyone. So I guess it's just one of those silly mindsets that some people have.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wonder that to I enjoy wearing make up but I would hear talk like this all the time about how people who wear make up are shallow or how it's bad and your a better woman if you don't like make up .

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know; I think it's silly.

6. Candace

It's the same thing as saying that wearing a tie, a nice dress, or jewelry makes you look shallow. It makes you look nice (not that you wouldn't be without it), but supposedly they do.

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A male will get weird looks and maybe comments ANYWHERE for wearing makeup. Most people will not applaud them for "expressing themselves." Also, I don't think many people think females who wear makeup are shallow. Almost all females wear makeup that I know, at least to some degree. If you have too much makeup on I think people see you as spending a disproportionate amount of time on your looks, which makes you vain, which makes you shallow. So, most of my experiences are not the same as yours. Females are not bashed for wearing makeup, in general, unless its extreme.

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They do at my school.

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm guessing even at my university, there would be some odd looks. I'm guessing its unlikely that there would be any comments except maybe overhearing people talking amongst themselves. Probably the majority would just glance quickly, think "that's different (mostly neutral)" and go on about their day. You definitely wouldn't blend in. It would be interesting too see how many applaud them. Even then, applauding someone is pointing out that its "different" and if I wore makeup to express myself I would rather people say nothing, as if it were the norm. In the middle and high schools I went to, you would surely have been ridiculed... maybe things have changed. I'm getting old!

10. GayBoyBG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I dislike make up for both men and women. But I dont think it makes anyone shallow.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Makeup for me does two things. My skin texture may be fine but it is patchy.

Also I have nice eyes, but eyeliner and eyeshadow accentuates them. Also proper shading of makeup gives me a more feminine face. Trust me I wish I was a flawless faced female...

12. puppiesarecute

Yeah I know that's why I think my school's awesome, I'm not saying at all that males have it better in anyway makeup wise. That would be really idiotic. I'm sorry if I gave off that impression. It's just the lack of it at my school has sort of made me see how judgmental people can be regardless of gender. And I don't where too much make up at all, usually I wear none or barely any, it's just like this group of girls who shame all girls for wearing any amount of makeup. I think it's also kind of not that uncommon for people to do this.

---------- Post added 7th Dec 2014 at 10:21 PM ----------

Yeah also there is nothing wrong with accentuating you're natural beauty and the argument that they make is that it's shallow to care that much about you're appearance. Ugh it's so annoying.

---------- Post added 7th Dec 2014 at 10:23 PM ----------

exactly!

#12 puppiesarecute, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  13. White Knight

^This. I doubt I would express it better.

14. Hexagon

I suppose it's because it's a concern with one's physical appearance. But when people wear make-up who according to society, aren't supposed to, then it's viewed differently, either as wrong or as courageous.

I'm not saying make-up is actually shallow. Assuming it's in reasonable doses.

15. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My cousin really goes overkill with it. Like, she has 3 pounds of makeup on. I love her, but it does seem to attract really shallow guys in my opinion. Going overkill on the makeup for either males or females is quite a turn off to me. It's a free world, but that's just how my attractions go.

16. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Funny. People who say wearing make-up is shallow. Aren't they shallow themselves? They are judging others because of their looks, aren't they? How deep is that? Some people are too keen on making themselves look better by bashing others instead of trying to understand and be open. It's scary to not know something and admit it but that would be deep and wise if you ask me. In this case some people don't underdand why someone likes to wear make-up. Instead of finding out why they just jump to judge. It's very human but still nasty.

17. Hexagon

I disagree. I don't think they're judging others for their looks, but by how they behave, their (supposed) vanity, their habits and so on.

18. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe that too. It's also very common to see certain things and forget others when there is prejudice or strong stereotypes. If people expect to see some people for example vain they tend to exaggerate things that support their theory and dismiss other things. And if some person actually is pretty vain it's easy to generalize.

19. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't take any notice. I wear lipgloss because I like the way it looks and feels. You just be yourself because that's the best person you can be. A wonderful unique person

20. thekillingmoon

Nothing wrong with makeup when it's not overdone. A lot of make up can look inappropriate in certain situations. You can't assume things about someone's personality just because they are wearing makeup though.