1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to ask if I can dye my hair

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MtnFr3sh, Dec 3, 2014.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay, so, like last year, I'm going on a month long trip to a summer "camp" at an area university geared towards college prep and stuff.

Something I've been into lately is unnatural hair color. I've been putting a little streak of temporary color in my hair because that's the most I can get away with at my school, and even then sometimes I get caught.

Thing is, my mom doesn't really like that I do it. Mainly because people have asked her if I'm gay because of it. And she doesn't know how to respond. I mean, my closet is made of glass, and almost anybody can tell, and nobody at my school really cares. My attitude is, I would like to just be honest with people and not make a big deal about it. If people ask, I'd like to tell them instead of lie.

Anyway, this thing is a month long, and I'd love to take the opportunity since I'm going to ask off of work that whole month, if I should use some "Semi permanent" hair color that lasts 6-12 washes. Since I'm going to have to go back to work when it's over.

Anyway, here's what the colors look like, I have two choices

1. Manic Panic Rockability Blue
    [​IMG]

Which gives off this color (from a customer review, so I know it's right)
    [​IMG]

Then, there's the other color that I'd like if I can't wear blue. I like red, but not BRIGHT red, I have reddish/bondish with slight tones of brown (I will not be bleaching my hair first)

So:

2. Manic Panic Vampire Red
    [​IMG]

Which produces this color on real hair

[​IMG]

Keep in mind, I'm a guy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I just like these unnatural colors, I'd really, really like to do this.

So, how do I ask my mom? Som I'd probably end up asking if I could do the red color anyway. I'd just like the possibility to do so... If I do the red, that means I won't have to worry about it as much when I go back to work.
    So... yeah...
    I'm just asking you guys how in advance so I won't have to worry about it later.

Thanks guys!!

2. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

You don't. You show up one day with your hair dyed and let the world deal with it because you are punk like that.

[​IMG]

#2 Rawrzilla, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
  3. MusicislifeXD

Be a rebel. Bye.

Real talk though, I think maybe if you ask her this:

"Ma. In the grand scheme of things, would this be the end of the world? Are people gonna dye if I do this?" (Did ya see what I did there?) "I'm gonna be gone most of the time it's coloured anyway, so it's even a more perfect time right now." "It's just hair."

Anyway, these are just a few suggestions. I really hope it works out for you!

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I got my earring while still in high school, I just showed up with it at home. Of course there was a bit of a argument, but that quickly past.

5. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I strongly support this notion.
    It's your life, your body, your hair.

6. shinji

shinji Guest

Don't ask her, just inform her of your own decision. You are after all old enough to at least decide on stuff such as these, on your own. While your mom can show disapproval, she has no right to force you to do something, that is against your own wishes.

I think red would look better on you. Also, don't bleach your hair, ever...

7. ajsivy

My high school doesn't really care my hair has some blonde in it right now and I'm planning something more dramatic over winter break. But I think you should do it and I really like the blue so go for it

8. Angelus

Angelus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ive dyed my hair several times in 5 years. Say fuck it and do something you love !!

Obviously make sure to do it correctly and make sure your not allergic to its contents.

And GO CRAZY!!

My hair was long and black colored until I cut it all off , when it grows out some more ill be dying mine electric blue baby!!!

9. DinelodiiGitli

I've actually used Manic Panic. Word of warning though:
    I have dark blonde/light brown hair and the blue looks darker than that when I dye my hair. It's best to leave it in longer than it says. No worries since it's conditioner based it won't hurt your hair.
    Have fun. (!)

10. Hexagon

You apologise later. Or better not, don't apologise.

11. Quiet Raven

I agree with those who say don't ask. I don't know your mother though. Some people can be difficult. If you think your mother will react strongly if you just do it, maybe you can try by first politely telling her how much you want to do it, and asking her what reasons there are to be against it. And just counter them. You said you don't mind people knowing your gay, so can't your mother just say "yes" if people ask? Though I would probably say something more like, "Yes, but what does hair color have to do with being gay?"

If she still dissaproves, well... Do it anyway. And just say, "it's my hair, not yours."

#11 Quiet Raven, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  12. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm wanting to know how to ask because she would go crazy. Not like, get mad or anything. Just really disappointed, and I hate seeing her like that more than anything else. I'd like to ask. Because she would bring up the "Are you trying to look gay?" thing she always does...

I say she does this because when we were picking out a new leather jacket, she asked if I was trying to pick one that looked gay (It's just a normal leather jacket). I was a little surprised, so I asked why. She said because there's the one ugly kid at my school who's always wearing shit that looks weird. Then she said because I'm always wearing color in my hair (Since which, I've not completely stopped, but am only doing it on occasion now.)

And that's just an ordeal that I don't really want to go through. That's why I have a backup color, if she says no to blue, then I say red...

I understand all of the "Do it anyway" comments, but, if I just do it anyway. She won't be happy, not mad at me, just cry in "private" in her bedroom, just loud enough for me to hear sobbing, then I might either ignore it, or go and ask what's wrong, then she refuses to tell me... So, that's why I'm asking instead of just doing it.

She seems to think EVERYTHING I do that's not normal is to look gay... So, thanks, but, some advise on legit asking would be better :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm still 17, not an "adult" yet... (Though 17 is the age of consent in my state lol)

13. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

No, you're not getting any advice on how to "ask" from me, sorry.

She needs to come to terms with you being gay someday, and realise that the way you like to dress has nothing to do with it. The sooner she does that, the better. And sometimes a punch to the gut (You dyeing your hair) is the best way to speed that process up.

If that topic DOES come up, just tell her there's more to you than your orientation, and if she forgot about that - Since she seems to focus on all "gay" aspects ever since you came out. Is that a fair way to treat your son?

Her sobbing in her room might be an important part of coming to terms with the orientation of her son, besides, you wouldn't believe how many people do that just to make someone feel guilty - You don't have ANY reason to feel guilty, no matter how she reacts to your dyed hair.

#13 Black Raven, Dec 4, 2014
  14. BelleFromHell

Be rebellious. Do what you want with your own hair and body.

I say Rockabilly Blue. I actually almost dyed mine that color, but I'd have to bleach first, and I just don't have the money or patience.

15. Quiet Raven

What Black Raven said. I wholeheartedly agree.

Sometimes what you do will dissapoint people. But you can't base all your decisions on whether others approve or not. Even if we are talking about family or friends.
    Do what makes you happy.

You are 17, that is old enough to make your own decisions on hair style.

#15 Quiet Raven, Dec 4, 2014