The Awkward Questions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tardis2020, Nov 26, 2014.

1. L0ser

I get it all the time and I try to laugh and change subject so I don't end up saying something like "Well, I could always get a boyfriend, there's this really cute guy I've got my eye on."

Although I bet the looks on their faces would be funny

2. ajsivy

I don't really have any problems with the holiday season as far as I know my entire family is accepting of whatever. It's actually exiting I will see people I have not seen in like years

3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i've been getting " your gonna find another woman....." since the split 18 months ago. even before i came out to myself my response was/is; is "whoever i end up with it's gotta be better than what i had......" leaving it completely gender neutral. ive been getting this from family and co-workers.

4. Hemlock

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I usually just laugh, brush it off, maybe blush a little, and wait for someone to change the subject :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I got asked this question, I used to say that I was focusing on school, and that I did not need the distraction of a significant other. That usually got them to stop asking me questions. Although, they would pick on me from time to time :slight_smile:

6. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Oh my god.. I hate those questions! I sit there with scorching hatred for the fact that I have to lie and grit my teeth. I am planning on coming out next Christmas or next year sometime but seriously when I get the question ''When are you getting a boyfriend'' I just want to throw up. I feel like there's this big lie in the room when I say stuff like ''oh i'm not interested in getting a boyfriend'' or ''i'm busy with other stuff no guys have caught my interest.'' I just feel like saying ''OH YEAH ABOUT THAT I'M A LESBIAN AND AM WAITING FOR THE RIGHT GIRL TO COME ALONG.'' I have absolutely no attraction towards guys so when they ask me when i'm going to get a boyfriend it feels so.. just argh. So annoying!

I will eventually shock them all when I come out :slight_smile: Their beautiful cousin/granddaughter/niece will finally be honest about her love for women. And they will all either get the fuck over it or get out of my life.

7. Quiet Raven

Agreed. My dad is always on my back about getting a girlfriend. And even though a girlfriend is what I want, it is still extremely annoying that he keeps bringing it up.

I just ignore him. I literally just don't say anything until he just changes the subject. I discovered that talking to him about it is useless so I don't even try anymore.

8. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's just rude to ask, just like asking "when are you going to have kids?"
    I man, no one ever asked when I am going to have a boyfriend, but if they would, I'd just ignore them and step away

9. ChameleonSoul

I just tell them that I'm busy with school and work or that I'm not looking for a girlfriend. Even though what they think and what I'm really saying aren't the same, it's not like I'm completely lying to them.

10. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh boy, that question always comes up with my family...my uncle and my cousin are always bothering me about girls and it irritates me to no end.

Luckily my cousin's a cool guy, and if he brings the subject up when no one else is around, I'll just tell him I'm gay and I know for a fact that he'll be cool with it.

My uncle? He's told me that gays are "sick bastards," "a bunch of perverts," and he got pissed off when he found out that one of my teachers in high school was gay. I don't know what I'll do about him...

But either way, it'll be even more awkward this year than it has been in previous years because I came out to my immediate family back in September, so they'll all know when everyone else is asking those questions...

11. Takine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah I am as bad with women as I am with men

12. thekillingmoon

Act uninterested and try to change the subject. Definitely not discussing my romantic interests with my family, they wouldn't understand.

13. Randomcloud

I say "I don't have one...I don't want one" and change the topic as they "tut tut" me... lol.

I'm not comfortable with telling any of my family members apart from my parents (who already know) about my sexuality. They're pretty judgmental even when they don't realize it.

14. TheStormInside

Any time I have a male friend or acquaintance my mom has to know the "details," heh. I was just visiting last week and I got the "So what's J's story? He seems like a nice guy.. does he have a girlfriend...?" :dry: It's annoying, but I do understand she just wants to know what's going on in my life and wants me to find someone.

I also got the "Any boyfriend?" question from a few other relatives. I generally just say "No, not really. I've got a good group of friends though, and I'm busy with work" and move on. Making a big deal out of it will only make them focus on it more. At my age and with my abysmal dating record my family also doesn't seem to expect much, anyway. When I was younger I did get more thorough questioning from some of them, but I think at this point my being single is more expected.

15. DawnM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thankfully I don't get that question. The people that would ask don't want me to grow up, and they're more concerned with heckling me about a career and college. But if it does come up I'm going to brush it off and just tell them "Oh, you know. No one serious." The less I tell them the better, and they'll make up their own stories about what I'm doing.

16. Adarya

My grandparents and boy-obsessed cousins almost always ask me when I'm going to get a boyfriend or if I already have one. I'm known to take my schoolwork extremely seriously, so that is normally what I fall back on every time they ask me. I say something along the lines of "I don't have time for boys when I have my classes + activities, and no one has caught my attention" and leave it at that.

They then accuse me of being too serious about school and that I'm not getting the "high school experience" when I'm not dating. But oh well.

17. SittinInTheDark

Right Now: Minneapolis llll Usually: New York City
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, I am definitely expecting questions like "so, you have a date yet?" meaning a date w a guy, or "boyfriend?". Especially from my family. I think my grandma has already asked. Awkward. I just answered, "Nah." *sigh*

18. jnarinami

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I just smile and nod. Then quickly walk away.

19. cherry tree

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My parents don't ask anymore, but my grandparents ask every single time I see them. They also love to mention my age and that I must be looking for someone really special because I'm still single.
    One time it got a bit awkward (again), and I was sitting there, wanting to dig a whole and disappear and my mum said something like "she's taking her time and one day she'll find the right boyfriend or girlfriend". I don't think that anyone but me even heard her including the possibility of a girlfriend but it meant so much to me :slight_smile:

20. antibinary

My family let's me manage my own relationships so I don't get stupid questions. I'm not ready for that kind of commitment anyway.