1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Coming Out' without emotions...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Haim, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Haim

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Updated - 6 months out...

I haven't been on here in ages, but I felt like I wanted to put up a little update. As it's been almost 6 months since I came out to my immediate family and more than 6 months since I came out to my close friends.

Firstly I understand I was 'blessed' in that my family is quite supportive and even if they hadn't been I am financially independent and had great support from friends. So I know some people aren't lucky enough to be in circumstances where they can come out.

But I just wanted to say that since I have come out, and I know it's a massive cliché, but a weight I didn't even know I was carrying on my shoulders is gone. I've gained a confidence in knowing who I am and having people close to me know who I am. Not having to filter what I say to sound straight (didn't even know I was doing it until I didn't have to) is such a relief.

I've had people who don't know me that well at work comment on how happy I've been looking recently. And coincidentally I've stopped emotional eating (something else I didn't really realise I was doing) and am now the same weight I was in high school...

I've had the confidence to dress tomboy femme when I feel like it. And although I get remarks from my mum about looking lesbian :rolle:, something that stopped me dressing like that before, I really have been enjoying it.

Plus I've gone to a few Pride events and discovered the big lesbian community that is Tumblr, so finding 'my people' has really helped.

I know I haven't stopped 'coming out', but I think that goes for everyone on here. So I'll deal with the rest as they come, knowing I have a great support network.

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

this is such a happy story and an encouragement to all of us. thank you for sharing this update. and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!