1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed on age difference

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Mace, Oct 13, 2014.

1. pitabread514

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well I personally like mature people and enjoy spending time with those older then me. I think in the immediate, it will work out really good for both of you. It would be enjoyable to be with an older guy, I think. I guess its harder when you hit 60s and hes still in 30s. But why not worry about it then and live life for the moment...

2. BeingEarnest

I am VERY interested in this conversation. Are there thoughts on how to bridge the generational gap in such a relationship? Does it become an issue a the relationship progresses?

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How about this for some perspective -

My partner today, where we recently got engaged, is 27, and I am your age.

If I would have not known about the age differences, I do not think I would have been able to see any real differences in maturity, compassion, outlook on life. There are differences in life experiences given the age differences, but such experiences also happen if people are from different regions, cultures, careers, etc.

That said, my partner today has significantly more emotional intelligence than I do. He has an ability to understand what people are feeling and experiencing well beyond my own. However, his emotional intelligence is a counter balance to the additional life experience I bring to the table. Where I bring a better ability than him to anticipate based on past experiences. This not mean I have a crystal ball, but in the life game of chess, I think I can think ahead quite well. Given each of our strengths and weaknesses, I do believe we truly complement each other as a couple.

I would not be surprised if what I am experiencing is unique to our relationship. Although, we do love each other dearly, in a way I have never experienced before. And I am confident he feels the same.

But as any relationship, both parties need to truly fit together, have similar outlooks on life, have a chemistry that is connected, have careers which, while ours are completely different, actually compliment one another, etc..When all of these pieces fit and come together, then I believe the relationship can work putting age differences aside.

#23 OnTheHighway, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  4. Calamus1960

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you should go for it...

5. AAASAS

I also don't buy into the mature idea. Age doesn't mean you are mature. I get a long with older people fine, some of my good friends at work are well into their 50s, some 60s.

I'm actually pretty mature, even though I am very silly sometimes. My parents nearly went broke during highschool, my dad was diaginosed with cancer, I had to help my sister raise a child, I've been working full time basically since I was 18, I had bad acne in highschool(dealing with this matures you believe me), I lived in a chopped up car for 3 weeks when I was 17(was homeless), I have dealt with depression...etc.

I still get along fine with people my age that haven't gone through any of that. So again I don't buy into the idea that age dictates maturity level. I know plenty of 40 year olds that have had relatively boring, stable lives, who wouldn't know how to deal with half the shit I've dealt with. So age doesn't mean anything, experience does, sometimes younger people have actually experienced a lot of maturing things, making them actually surpass the maturity level of many middle aged adults.

As for the age difference, I do believe love is blind, but I also know reality.

My sister is 28, she is currently dating a 50 year old and is pregnant with his child. My dad trashed our house when he found out(literally trashed it), so it's not always seen as ok. To my parents he should know better than to date someone that young, and they will never accept it.

Not trying to discourage, just giving you a dose of reality, some people, including me, believe that it's impractical for the long term, to have such a large age difference. Fooling around is fine, but you will be an old man way before him. That is going to cause problems for the both of you. Don't you want to get old with someone around the same time as you? Also haven't you considered that the sexual attraction may go out the window when you are much older, he will be in his 40s and still considered sexually viable by most people, I think he would almost certainly leave at that point.

This isn't a slash at you, it's just reality, you godda think about yourself. Do you really think someone that is still physically fit and sexually attractive is going to want to stick with a 65 year old? I know the love will still be there, but sex is pretty important too.

In my opinion I'd rather age with someone who is aging, and not go through it alone.