1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fell in love with a girl

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Snever2late, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Tallu

Haha, Waterfall your comment reminded me of that scene in Liar Liar where Jim Carrey tries to make himself looked mugged so he can get out of court duty. Someone walks in the bathroom and asks what he is doing. Jim Carrey bellows, “I’m kickin’ my own ass, do you mind?” Lol, that is how I feel this week. I’m so upset I let myself feel second rate for as long as I did. We had some wonderfully charged creative moments, and honestly I would have been happy as just friends. We are long distance after all. But the fact that everything had to have a condition, a shroud of anonymity, well…it’s just silly and hurtful. Not gonna go there again with anyone.

2. Snever2late

You ladies have given me a lot of food for thought. I can see now that although I love this girl, I do have her and the potential relationship on a pedestal. On the one hand, after not hearing from her for a few days I was feeling like something was missing. When she got back, I realized it was this sort of pure joy and laughter. Talking to her really makes me feel good. On the other hand, a real relationship would have so many hurdles to overcome, and because it's still secret and hidden we haven't had to deal with any of them. So even though what we have is real, it is by its nature ephemeral. I do still really feel that she's my soulmate, and that we belong together. But I also have to accept that she can't give me what I need right now. I told her as much yesterday, when I was having a really emotional time with my husband being really bitter about our separation and making plans to move out, and just feeling really scared about doing this on my own with a 1year old. She wasn't able to take the time out of her day to really give me the support I needed, she's not able to be there physically to support me with what I'm going through. It sort of made me realize that, even though I would drop anything to help her out, she 's not available to reciprocate that. It actually made me feel even lonelier, and acknowledge that maybe I rely on her too much for emotional support. And that's not fair to either of us. So I told her I have to pull away a bit from being so open with her.

I think ultimately everything is sort of lumping itself together in my life, and I have to focus elsewhere for the time being. I can love her without obsessing about her constantly. I have to. I'm maybe falling in the middle on this. I still want to stay connected, but I also want to learn to value myself. You all are right, we all deserve to have someone willing and available to love us wholly and completely. In order to have that I have to figure out and clean up my life, so that I'm able to demand and accept that love, and to love myself. Whether it's this girl or another, the time is not right to pour myself into another relationship at the moment.

I love you ladies, and this thread (&&&)

3. Tallu

Snever2late, it's sort of like hanging off a cliff by a daisy sprig, isn't it? You're in emotional crisis and you need a hand to pull you up, but all you get is a tenuous, pretty flower (or is it a weed after all?) It's the golden days where you can float into the clouds just on a sweet word or passing flirtation that make us hang on to that daisy. My arms just got tired.

You have a lot of more pressing issues with your impending separation and ultimately you have to face them alone, whether your friend is a part or your life or not. It's going to be very hard but imagine how strong you will emerge when it is all said and done. By then you might realize you no longer even want or need this person. Or, if things work out, you'll be able to love each other without co-dependence. The biggest test will be the peace after the storm. Maybe you two were in love. Maybe you were both fueled by the crises in your lives at the time. But we both know love has to be defined by more than that.

I'll be around this weekend if you want to chat. I'm thinking good thoughts for you! :slight_smile:

4. Snever2late

Thanks Tallu, it's exactly like that! I feel like I'm reaching out for her to save me, and ultimately I just feel like I'm being weak and bothersome. That's not a great feeling.

You're right, I have to just deal with my other stuff and see whatever comes on the other side of it. Part of what had me panicking about her, I think, was wondering if that's what it was--just both of us going through something at the same time and clinging to one another because we were at the same place. It feels like more than that, but maybe that's all it was meant to be - a sweet, sweet wake up call.

I'd love to chat this weekend and also hear more about your story. Thinking of you too, stay positive! (*hug*)

5. Tallu

It could very well be more than that, and I don’t want my wariness to make you doubt her intentions. It’s not a one size fits all kind of experience. And YES, I HATE feeling weak and needy. I work in a supervisory administrative position in the arts. I’ve directed many plays. I‘ve had the confidence to act myself in pretty demanding roles. I’ve done okay for someone that was painfully bashful as a kid. Eve’s stand-offishness and inability to be a complete friend brought back all those old insecurities. By day I seem confident and enthusiastic about life, but underneath I’m a sad little girl again. It’s lucky my days are so long right now. I can’t dwell as much as my heart wants to.

6. stella99

Hi ladies, thanks for this thread. Your experiences have given me so much food for thought. I differ from you in that my crush has never reciprocated any feelings although I'm sure she knows how I feel. That makes me feel even sillier for feeling this way for so long.

You at least have a relationship to consider and to decide to continue or not or keep your head high by walking away. It must be so difficult to hold back when its the last thing you want to do, especially when your feelings haven't been ingored. I know how I'm feeling pulling back from something completely one sided so I can't imagine making a concious effort to stop contact when its a two way relationship. Following your head and not your heart is one of the hardest things I have ever done, I'ml sure you'll agree.

Be strong. Things have a way of working out. I just think one day I'll look back and won't even be able to remember how retched I feel. Hard to imagine now, I know, but I know it will happen.

7. Snever2late

Stella99 - you should never feel silly for any emotion or feelings you have. Just because you don't feel that they have been reciprocated doesn't make them any less valid or painful. They're possibly more painful because you haven't had a sort of resolution or outlet for what you're feeling... Please feel free and comfortable expressing your feelings here--we're all here for you!

I agree, going with your head is one of the hardest things to do, especially when it's not your natural inclination. Things will work out the way they're supposed to, or at least the way they will. It's important to keep you're heart open though, and not close yourself off from feeling just because you've been hurt before. I know you, and all of us really, will find happiness with someone who will be everything we need. In the meantime we've all made such wonderful friends who we can rely on and share this experience with. I'll be thinking of you, keep your head up and feel free to reach out if you want to chat!

8. P25

P25 Guest

Stella99 I am with Ya girl. Going on twenty years. I had a "relationship" with my BFF since high school. Thought having her in my life in any way was better than not at all. I was so wrong. It was torture. I agree not having a defined relationship without an end, no closure, no goodbye is hard. She had to know. Mine had to know how I felt. I dropped more than enough clues and the fact that she was still around after my little hints I figured she may have felt the same...my ex it's a guessing game. We are both married to men, kids, and two years ago for the last time she broke my heart. I hate that she ended things on her terms-told me life was simpler without me in it. Now I go on every day with a gapping wound caused by her.

Head over heart is very very hard. Takes skill. We can't help who we love but we can help our behavior and out response to their lack of respect. We deserve more. Not heartache. In the long run we may always love them...but we know that they can't have us Bc of what they have done and they have treated us. We deserve the pedestal....not the floor where they can walk all over us.

You ladies are amazing! Let the healing begin. Lots of love here.

9. stargzrlily

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just joined this forum and can identify with your situation so much. I will eventually get around to posting my story, but for now just wanted to show support and sympathy.

10. bi2me

Welcome! There are so many supportive people here. :slight_smile:

11. Snever2late

Okay, I need to vent on what just happened. Don't feel like you have to read it. Short story - I caved. Very long story? Read on.

It's been a couple of weeks since I spoke to "S" and I had been doing okay. It has gotten a little less painful, I still think about her and feel her energy and dream about her all the time. But fewer tears, and I thought I was moving forward and could handle just being around her at work.

Wrong. She completely ignored me in the most rude way. Wouldn't look at me, didn't say a word to me all night (I'm her supervisor and am literally 10 feet away from her the whole time. So at the end of the night we closed up and she walked away and I literally started sobbing. It's just so much stress to be around her and not even have her acknowledge my presence. I feel completely pathetic, I promise.

So afterwards I sent her an email just sort of asking again why she's acting this way, does she really hate me that much, and what did I do to deserve being treated like this. She responded "I don't hate you..." that was it. Then I asked why she's doing it and she said "I don't want to talk about this anymore, I'm not doing this anymore, I need you to respect that decision and leave it at that. We don't need to communicate outside of work." So me, being me, said that I thought that it's unfair that I don't get to say what I need to say to bring me closure, and she refused to talk to me about it. So I just sent her a long-a** email. If you've made it this far, and decide to keep going, tell me if it was too much?

Okay, clearly you're going to do what you're going to do, and whatever I want and need doesn't matter. But I'm going to say what I need to say anyway, even though clearly this is not the way I want it.

I have given everything I could to be here for you in whatever way you needed. I gave up a lot, maybe more than you know, including my pride. I feel pretty ridiculous to tell you the truth.

But I did it in good faith, believing the things you said to me from the beginning. I wanted to and tried to show you what real love was, first as a lover, then when you needed to shift gears, as a friend. It was you who crossed the line initially, and you kept crossing it, despite everything you said. So I don't know for certain what your reasoning is, but I can only assume it's because it's harder than you thought to keep me at arms length.

If this was real, as you kept saying it was, then it's not that easy to just let go, and it's not going to just go away. And you're making a mistake. It feels so unfair that for so long you had so much to say to me, and now nothing when it matters. Every day you put a smile on my face, even when all I wanted to do was cry.

I was always 100% real with you, so ultimately I don't have any regrets, because there's not much about my actions and feelings that I would change. And it sucks that you can't do the same for me. I can still feel you though. I can feel the way your hand fit in mine, and the way your lips felt against mine when you told me you loved me. And I can still hear your voice begging me not to stop. I never would have, if I had any choice in the matter.

I never would have cut someone out the way that you have me. Not without a damn good reason and an explanation. Maybe we're just built differently. The thing that sucks is that what you want, I have to live with. I can't force you to talk to me, to explain anything to me, or to change your mind.

I want you in my life, in whatever way. But I don't need you in it. You've shown me how deeply it's possible to feel for and connect with someone, and you've shown me that maybe I let my walls down too easily. They're all up now, so maybe I'm a stronger person for it.

I know you're going to miss me and think of me. If it was real, if it all wasn't some elaborate game for you. I don't believe it was, but I could be wrong. The whole time you've gotten exactly what you wanted. Maybe it was more than you bargained for.

I'm still going to love you though. Despite everything, you'll always have that. And when you decide that maybe that's something you want in your life, in whatever form that takes, let me know. Hopefully it won't be too late. I miss the hell out of you, but even I have my limits. So I guess I lied one time. And that was when I said I wouldn't let you push me out of your life. I can only fight so much when I'm the only one fighting. I'll still be here, mentally and physically. But you wanted me gone, and now I am... but that's on you, not on me.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

I feel weak and pathetic for even contacting her, and now I've gone and went off on the whole situation. Why am I so ridiculous? :tears::icon_redf:***::bang:

12. P25

P25 Guest

Snever2late-ur are certainly not ridiculous, ur in love. I feel it in ur words. I know the feeling. Believe me my situation went on for two decades. I have written an email very similar and it's ok that you sent that, but let be the only one. Don't Chase her. You're better than that. People who choose not to be in our life, it is truly their loss. Unfortunately we cannot force someone to act reasonably, explain their behavior or provide us the closure we so desperately want and probably deserve. I don't have closure from my situation. She ended things, on her terms, cut me off and abandoned me making me feel thrown away---after 20 years. It was devastating. And I am sorry that you have to work with her...it must be so hard. But I truly believe the best thing you can do right now and be strong and stand ur ground. You said ur peace...I know its hard and emotionally draining when you open urself up and then receiving silence in return. As much as it hurts, time does heal the wounds...makes the hurt fade away. You will always love her, I still love mine, but we cannot force someone to see our value---So as hard as it is. Let her be. There is obviously something going on with her and at this point she is not willing to share or explain anything. You are worth so much more and she truly will
    Regret letting you go. Believe me...I have been there for twenty years. Mine has come looking for me several times after she "broke up" With me. My situation is a bit diff-we are both married with children so things are complicated. But the simplest fact is a common thread with a lot of us-we fell in love. We were giving and open with our love and willing to put in the work to make things happen. People have their reasons for their behaviors. However irrational they own and accept them. You're a gem, she lost her chance to hold onto you, the precious commodity...own ur value. Her behavior and lack of kindness and decency in providing you with closure is her issue not urs. Good luck :slight_smile: I know it's so difficult. I am here is you ever need to talk.

13. Really

Snever2late,

For what it's worth, you don't seem ridiculous to me. The email actually reads as quite level-headed despite the emotions that are portrayed within. You sound like you have the strength of character to get past this and I'm betting you will "recover" faster than you think.

14. waterfall

waterfall Guest

This is the exact same thing that my "crush" said to me-- also in an email!!! So exact that I couldn't believe it when I read it! Right down to the "respecting my decision"! It almost sounds scripted…she seemed to be so smooth at ending the relationship without a qualm, that I even wondered if this was not the first time she had done this?
    I felt weak and pathetic and still do some days but as time goes on the pain does start to go away. I believe I am a stronger and resolved to never be hurt like that again. I will be more cautious…. if there is a next time.
    I know exactly how you are feeling and it must make it even harder for you because you have to work with her. Maybe you can take some comfort in the fact that you are certainly not alone and I believe your reaction was pretty normal. The only thing we are guilty of is loving someone more than they deserved to be loved. Take this life experience with you and use it to be stronger and less vulnerable but not to shut out the possibility of ever meeting someone that will love you the way you love them.
    Stay connected to us all….we will be here for you whenever you need us! (*hug*)

15. Snever2late

P25 - I cannot imagine how painful that must have been after 20 years. I am so sorry that happened to you, but you're right. Whatever way they treat us is their problem, and ultimately I suppose she wasn't the person I thought she was if she could treat me like that. I feel like I have been chasing her, and getting no where. I guess that's what makes me feel so stupid. But I'm just going to move on and try to put her out of my mind.

Really - Thank you. I tend to be very stream of consciousness when I write, so it was originally a lot more scattered. I did have a couple of weeks to think about all the things I was holding back from saying because I knew it would alienate her further. I hope that I have the strength to do that. But when I stop caring, I really stop. I'm not there yet, clearly. And I'm sure it will always hurt, even when I get over her.

Man, I hated that "respect my decision." I actually asked in a previous email why does she feel that her decision deserves to be respected when she has disrespected me in every way possible. She was ending things...I have nothing to lose, and really nothing to gain by doing it her way!

You're right, I have learned to maybe grow up a little emotionally and hold back a little bit. But I believe we will all find our people someday...these experiences were just getting us ready for the real deal. And they probably know they didn't deserve us in the first place. I will be here to share and hear everyone else's trials and triumphs. I love you ladies, and the EC family. I'm so happy I found this place and this support, just in time for when I would need it the most! (&&&) Thank you guys!

16. bi2me

Just wanted to let you know that your letter was beautiful. It made me tear up. I hope you find someone who respects you and deserves your respect in return.

17. Tallu

Oh, how devastating! You poor dear vulnerable soul! That Three Dog Night song "Easy To Be Hard" is in my head now. The one from "Hair."

How can people be so heartless
    You know I'm hung up on you
    Easy to be proud, easy to say no...

Sigh. I'll write more in just a minute. I'm at work. Came in late because I can't shake whatever crud is in my chest and nose. Blech!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeXcaRYNlSQ

18. Frkldbklvr45

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That was just so perfectly written Snever2late. I can only offer a hug and some encouragement to keep on the path your on. Your value as a person shines through and gives me hope to stay my course. I too hope to get to that value in me. one day...one day....

19. stella99

Well said Snever2late.

I so wish you could have had the chance to say this in person but at least you got your message across. I don't get this 'i don't want to talk about it' attitude. Given your history together is it really too much to ask to be civil to each other. To have a civilised grown up conversation. it is especially difficult for you working with her and having to see her every day. I know!

I feel your pain. Take care.

20. Snever2late

Oh my, Tallu. This made me lol for real, because it's just so perfect. An excellent song and band. Thank you for that! And I hope you feel better fast, it's that time of year it seems.

frkldbklvr45 - You do have that worth in you, I promise. We all do. It's hard to remember that or feel that sometimes though, because I don't always feel that way. Maybe that's why I've been willing to settle for less in all my relationships. Not anymore. Thank you so much for that though, that was really sweet.

Stella99 - I agree. I don't understand "cutting people off" or "falling back." If someone was worth bringing into your life, and have been good to you, why the need to just never speak again. Clearly not mature enough to handle a face-to-face, grown-up conversation. But it's so damn frustrating because I really felt like I needed to see if she was even feeling anything, had any emotion whatsoever. Is it a generational thing? I don't know, but I find it so disrespectful to treat people like they are just expendable commodities.

You all are great. I'll be okay, eventually, but I'm glad we all have one another to turn to and relate with!