Is 30 too late?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by oscarneedslove, Sep 4, 2014.

1. FindingLouie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    30 is awesome. Perfect timing for you. Lots and lots of life to live. I think the same for myself at 45!

2. oscarneedslove

Thanks to everyone who replied. I really feel less lonely after all these replies and feel like I've met you all. Thanks guys.

This is what I need I guess. build my own support network of friends in a non-sexualised environment. I think mostly people have self confidence issues while coming out and this would be really helpful for us. Unfortunately, I live in middle of nowhere in a very conservative area but I will try to drive to big cities(200miles at least). The problem is I have to work on weekends to because I am a scientist and need to work harder on weekends to be able to stay in the US(US immigration system has been really a big nightmare to me). I have been living here in the states for about 7 years and I am really scared that I would have to go back to the homophobic country I was born.:icon_sad:

3. calgary

I completely remember thinking the same thing. I'm still working on it but definitely don't feel it's too late at all anymore. Slowly, you stop looking back with regret and start looking forward for opportunities

4. kimsen

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have the same issue as am turning 31 soon and trying to come out to my self before coming out to others . It's really hard and I guess I will need to change all my life style and friends

5. Calica

Never too late to come out
    Im Not out at 28, hopefully soon the courage will come!!!

6. TakeMe2Church

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm coming out at 47! It's never too late to be you! Is there a family involved? Wife and/or kids?

7. kimsen

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's never late but it's more complicated

8. Henry656

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Came out at 62. Never knew I was gay until six months before that. I am living with my man now for past eight months and have come out to my wife of 28 years and my daughter who is 27, two weeks after meeting my man. We are divorcing but she understands. It is never too late until you get to the Pearly Gates.
    I never felt more happier, energetic, nor loved until now. It kinda explains my uneasiness in dealing with women all my life, although I was never felt turned on by men until I was 61.5 years old.

9. pranbran

I came out (both to myself and to friends) at 28 - I don't think 30 is too late at all. Everyone discovers themselves and learns to accept themselves at their own pace. There's never a time that is "Too Late" as far as I'm concerned.

10. zxcv29

zxcv29 Guest

No way am 45 and just coming terms with it. Enjoy.

11. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Never too late, hiding things, certainly who you truly are destroys the soul over time.

12. TheStormInside

I only started questioning at 30, and am now just barely in the beginning steps of coming out at 31. As you can see, you're definitely not alone! Everyone realizes these things in their own time, at their own pace. So if you're 30 and coming out now, that means something has aligned within yourself and your life, and now is the right time for you.

13. Candide

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've only recently started questioning/realising at age 27 :slight_smile: I once naively thought that people realise they're gay from a very young age. Some people do, but I was very wrong to think that's the case for everyone.

14. a1rborne

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I used to ask myself the same question. I came out to myself at 32-34 (it took years!), at the beginning of last year I started to attend a coming out group, in April last year at 35 I came out to my mum and my brother, in June-August I told all my friends! And now I have a cute and caring boyfriend and I'm happier than ever before!!! I can even bring him home. Initially, coming out took a lot of nerves, but it turned out much better than expected. With hindsight I should have come out earlier, but it was for sure not too late :slight_smile:

15. celatracy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm 52 but have to go back to when I was 34 in 1996 and thinking back then it was too late. Too late because I was given the chance to come out previously but denied it, had already with the same woman 8 years, was just starting what I thought would be my permanent career and felt stuck with it all- while at the same time all this new information about my true self was available online in private. "If only this information, or the internet had been out 8 years before", I kept saying. Now, the guilt just seems to grow as I get older, as I get more attached to my wife, her in-laws, my community and my church. So I can understand where 30 might feel too late, especally with today's LGBT crowd coming out at puberty and some T's even coming out at age 3!

16. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the EC moderators frequently says that coming out later in life, at 30 or 40 or 50 or later, is like finding yourself at the gates of Disney World in early afternoon with a free pass to everything. You can complain about the fact that you missed out on the whole morning, or you can get yourself in there and have some fun! 30 isn't too late, and neither is 50 or 70, to be who you are and live the life you want.

17. Candace

There is never a time that's too late to come out, in my opinion. :slight_smile:

18. adrum

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There seem to be a lot of people on this thread who, like me, are making this all happen at 30-31... For me turning 30 gave me a bit of a mid-life crisis where I could no longer ignore the nagging feelings of regret and unauthenticity of the life I was living. The reality that I had wasted my 20s in a marriage that I really didn't want hit me hard, and has driven me to the decision to come out and change my entire life.

I reckon this could be a common thing. Either way, let's get ready to bury the past and move forward into the life that we want hey?

19. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes is does seem common with the exception of deep in the closet guys like me... I think of what might have been... but IT'S TIME TO MOVE FORWARD.