Where my car peeps at?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Data, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That is highway. It was around 31 highway stock, but the mods reduced it some. Not as much as I thought it would, though. I just run premium (93 octane). I can get 18 MPG city if I want to, but I usually don't want to. lol

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Late to this discussion, but I can't help but note that hot cars have become ridiculously expensive these days. I had a 1969 427 Corvette I paid $5600 new for; today an equivalent performance Vette would be 10 times that price (in inflated dollars, of course). I currently have a 2002 Miata that makes 142 stated horsepower, and an FJR 1300 Yamaha that makes 145 stated horsepower which cost half as much. Needless to say, the same HP goes a lot faster accelerating a 650 lb bike than it does a 2700 lb car. If you like acceleration and have a limited real-world budget, there is no comparison between the bang-for-buck of a motorcycle versus a car. Not many cars will do 0-100 in less than 7 seconds, and the ones that will will also break the bank, at the dealership and at the gas pump. There is also no comparison between the sensation of 150+ mph on a bike and the same speed in a closed car. Come over to the "dark side" for your performance thrills and use the car for rainy days and grocery runs. :lol:

PS 49 mpg ridden sanely on the highway, more like 40 around town

#42 Yossarian, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  3. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah, cars seem to be about 10 times the price they were in the 60's.

I just recently sold my CBR 600 F4i. The performance for the price is hard to beat, but there's still something about having that kind of performance in a car. I've had both my car and bike over 150 MPH. My bike 152, and my car 158. And I can say I enjoyed the high speed run in my car just as much as the bike. Though, I've only ever done it once with each. Just too dangerous to do around here.

My bikes 50 MPG average was definitely a plus!

4. Data

Data Guest

I USED to ride nothing but a motorcycle. 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500. It made 55 horsepower. It was fast enough for me! I only weigh 135lbs. Then I got into a horrific accident which was a hit and run that left me all broken and in a wheelchair for 6 months, crutches for 3 months, and a cane for 3 months. Bikes are fun, but the cagers will kill you. Ride like you're gonna slide. I'm lucky to be alive. My gear saved me from much worse, and my helmet is the only reason I still exist.

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear about your accident; can happen to any of us, unfortunately. But, this is the 18th motorcycle I have owned over a 50 year time span, and I have never been hit by a car on any of them. I did crash a couple of times on the racetrack, but I don't count those as traffic crashes, just part of the price to play, and I was of course wearing full leathers and helmet so suffered minor injury damage. I think the worst thing that ever happened to motorcycle safety is the ubiquitous availability of cellular telephones and smartphones, and the ubiquitous availability of people dumb enough to try to use them while driving.

6. Data

Data Guest

Agreed 1,000,000% distracted driving is the biker's worst enemy. It's funny, one of my friends has been riding for 30 years, and with no helmet. He has never gone down. I was riding for 2 years, and that truck hits me at 40 mph and dashes. Just a roll of the dice I guess.

I may get back on a bike at some point, but the wounds are still too fresh. The feeling of bouncing off the truck, looking down at my leg all broken and twisted, and the PT that followed are all too recent as of now.

An R6 was in my sights before the crash though. :grin: A pretty neat bike for sure.

Keep the rubber side down Yossarian. :wink:

7. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ouch! 40 mph? Damn.

Never even had a close call on my bike. I've seen a couple close ones, though, with the people I was riding with. Mostly on the highway with people in cars that don't look when they change lanes.

There's definitely a risk riding bikes. But there usually is for anything fun.

8. Doorway

I was going to get my dad's 1999 BMW 750il, nicknamed "The Landmaster" by one of my brother's, as my first car (dad drove it up til 2004 before buying another BMW, then my oldest brother drove it til 2009, and then my other brother got it). A real monster of a car-massive frame, 320HP V12 engine, and the handling and cornering of a small yacht (or the Landmaster from Starfox 64, if you will). It was comfy as hell on long road trips, though.:icon_bigg

It was also the first car I ever drove, when I was 12 or 13. Basically, it was the IRL version of that scene in Sixteen Candles where the geeky kid drives Jake's girlfriend home in his dad's Rolls Royce. My oldest brother (who was at college) got a text from my other brother bragging about being hammered at a friend's New Year's party, so he had me bike across town to drive my brother home because my parents were asleep and would've skinned him alive if they knew. I reached the house, *persuaded* him into giving me the keys, and threw him in the back seat. It was fun, exciting, and godd*mn terrifying. The fact that cars moved when they idled in Drive threw me off, and the loose handling freaked me out (my only prior driving experiences were with golf carts and those arcade machines). By some miracle, I managed to drive home without crashing, arousing suspicion, or my brother vomiting in the back seat, and to this day I've never told my parents about that incident.

Unfortunately, the same brother decided to start driving it like a stick shift even though it was an automatic (because "stick shifts are for REAL drivers, man!" :rolle: ). As you could guess, this basically destroyed the transmission, and the car had to be junked. Still, getting 15 years and over 200k miles out of a car's pretty damn respectable. So, instead I'm getting my mom's 2009 Honda CR-V, which has a working transmission. It's nice and all, but it's just too big for just driving to school and work, and it's not really a very...God I hate myself for saying this..."cool car". I go to a school where kids routinely get Jags and Lexuses (Lexii??) for their 16th birthday, so being a dorky kid with a geeky car is a bit damning. I remember how my brothers' social lives took tremendous swings for the better after they got that BMW, and I'm just so damn scared of being made fun of or being a loner in school. It also has a problem where it locks, but it doesn't unlock :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

/tl;dr Doorway's a spoiled douchebag

9. Data

Data Guest

The CR-V isn't exactly a cool car, but I do love me that K series engine.

The fact is, most people who are impressed simply by a brand or the price tag of a car are shallow, and don't impress me that much. I drive a Mercedes, but not simply because it's a Benz. In fact, it's 30 years old. I drive it because it's reliable, durable, and easily repaired (by me). I have dressed it up to make ME love it, not others. My friends who are into Jap imports don't appreciate it like I do. I don't care. I love my 190 for exactly what it is, and I don't care that my friends would love to replace it with a 240sx.

You'll find that most people who are impressed by Jags and Land Rovers, VWs and Audis, even old exotic sportcars like the Countach, don't really know what they're talking about. They just like it because it's expensive. If you've ever worked on a Jaguar or Land Rover (owned by the same company), you'd know they fall apart after 5 years or so. VW and Audi (the VAG group) tend to be dealer-only serviceable and after they get to their 2nd or 3rd owner they're falling apart also because the first owner didn't take it to the dealer regularly. The Countach used to be one of my favorite exotics. Once I saw a video of the interior and how it actually was to drive, I said "that's fucking horrible" and never thought twice about it.

So it's easier said than done, but coming from someone in the business and someone who went through HS already, don't feel pressured to drive an uber-expensive or fancy car just to impress others. Drive that CR-V because it will impress you with how reliable it is and how long it will last. I can almost guarantee you your friends' Jags will have been junked by the time your CR-V hits 150k miles. They will have junked the Jag, traded in the new VW, sold the new Audi, and leased a new MB by the time your CR-V hits 300K.

10. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with data in regards to a more affordable, well engineered and built car. Even Chevy makes cars that will log ridiculous miles with only the simplest of routine maintenance. The easiest thing to make your car last long is recommended oil changes. Don't skimp because it won't save you money.