How old do you think the universe is?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gaynerd64, Jul 25, 2014.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In most of the industrialised world that is true, But in America 52% of people are Creationists. Level of support for evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Which isn't quite a fringe position.

2. Yosia

2014 duh!

Like i think its forever old, always existed and no explanation why.

3. Tardis221B

I've personally had with a friend like this. Albeit we were both in 5th grade at the time but still . . . I was talking to her at recess about dinosaurs and how there is fossil evidence that they existed millions of years ago, and she simply replied, completely serious, "Satan put them there."

I just stopped talking at that point and changed the subject, I knew I wouldn't get anywhere with her.

4. Sabot Kitty

Young-Earth Creationists, or Old-Earth Creationists? It doesn't say, and I think YEC could probably be counted as at least a minority position.

5. Joelouis

So we've got a little way to go then, anyway!

6. Moonhammer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually went to a Christian school (never believed in it though) and even the most religious there accept science, and didn't believe in the stories in the bible.

7. Cass

Idk why religious people think the world is so young, there's not really a mention of that in the bible. It's at least a few million years old I'm guessing. Idk though

8. One Man Army

Young Earth Creationists (YECs) arrived at the date of approximately 6,000 years old by counting the genealogies in the Bible, even those that contradict each other.

On the basis that God created the Earth 6,000 years ago, YECs assume that the Universe is also of the same age because God created everything in six days. Then He took the next day off work and played Skyrim all day.

Now obviously the book of Genesis is supposed to be taken completely literally, because a prominent group of Evangelical Christians say so, and they know best. Other parts of the Bible can be re-interpreted in light of modern culture and knowledge, but not Genesis.

:eusa_doh:

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course it's not 6,000 years old. With all the knowledge we have about the world we live in, it's extremely foolish to propose such a thing, no matter how faithful you are to any given religion. Having faith shouldn't require us to take complete leave of our senses.

One doesn't need to be a gifted scientist to know that we're living on a planet that is many millions of years old.

10. the haunted

I don't care much either, but I definitely think it's billions of years old.

11. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    its like billions of years old it was millions before people began counting .

12. Hexagon

I think it it is beginning as I'm writing this. I challenge any of you to prove me wrong.

13. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Honestly you can show the facts or evidence and some still believe otherwise. 13.8 billion years it is, the universe is ancient, at least in terms of our short 20, 000 or so days on an average human life span. We've only been here for a split second if that, on the entire scale of the universe's age.

14. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

The universe was made in 1996 when I was born, all other opinions are invalid.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahh, solipsism. A cool philosophy. :grin:

I subscribe to the cosmological conclusion that it's billions of years old. As for the matrix in which this universe exists (the multiverse out of which it spawned if the theory is true), I have no idea, especially because the idea of time passing becomes very strange at that point.

16. mangotree

The universe doesn't revolve around the sun 365 1/4 times per year, so traditional units of time measurement don't apply (in my opinion).

So I'm going to say 1 Megayear.

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    10,000 years old

18. Jwis

I'll go with current science and say 14 billion or so. This may change in the future, we probably are wrong with it (maybe not who knows).

It's been around for billions of years, but it likely has trillions of years left. I personally believe in the death of the universe by the continual expansion. The universe in my eyes will be dead when the last proton decays.

Or when the alien who's science project we are decides to flush us down their toilet.

Either works for me!

19. PaganPoetry

it is super old probably

20. Data

Data Guest

14.8 billion years old. There is a wide margin of error here though. Part of the issue is the fact that we can't even SEE the universe past a certain point (the point where the universe cooled down enough to where matter condensed out of pure energy, and the opaque universe became transparent to photons). This is why we can't see the big bang. It's shrouded by all the primordial radiation. We have a fairly accurate estimate though, so it's somewhere close to that age. It could be older or younger, but not by that much.