1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can heterosexual cis people be LGBT experts?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PlantSoul, Jul 7, 2014.

1. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, they can do a lot of research and have a lot of knowledge on the topic, but they can't exactly understand what it's like to be non-heterosexual or non-cisgender.

Like, I know a lot about transgender people from stuff I've read online and people I've talked to, but I'll never be able to fully understand what being transgender is like because I can't experience it.

2. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on what you mean by 'expert'. If by 'LGBT expert' you mean the person fully understands what it's like to be an LGBT person, I'd say no. A heterosexual cis person can only partly understand what it's like to be an LGBT by imagining what it may be like to be in an LGBT person's shoes.

If by 'LGBT expert' you mean they have a very good understanding of the issues that LGBT people face in our society, I'd say yes. Such an expertise can be achieved through academic studies.

However, growing up in a gay neighborhood and having lots of LGBT relatives alone doesn't make one an 'LGBT expert' in either sense.

Additionally, just because one letter of the broad LGBT+ umbrella describes you doesn't mean you can understand what it's like to be someone who falls under any of the other letters. For example, being a cis gay man doesn't mean you can understand what it's like to be a cis lesbian woman or trans man.

3. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    lol no!

4. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Can a human be a plant's expert? Yes and they dont even have leafs growing in their skin... Of course its easier for an Lgtb person to be an expert on lgtb issues, but anyone ho decides to study a topic carefully and interacts directly with the elements of the topic, canbecome an expert on that.

5. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I will say, resoundingly, NO. i don't believe it's possible. I also don't think that just because one embodies the experience, one is, or can be an expert either. Empathy, insight, knowledge, education (not necessarily in that order, lol), are required qualities, too.

6. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    based on my experience no matter how hard they try they just don't get it

7. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think it's hard for anyone to be an "expert" on what it means to be LGBT, but that it is possible to have an educated sense of particular characteristics of LGBT sociology (e.g., statistics, problems common to a certain identity which are less readily applicable to most other groups, etc.). I also believe that someone can be a very open-minded individual with a strong sociological background in LGBT issues, but that part of approaching an ethnic, socioeconomic, sexual, or other minority group entails acknowledging that, should you differ from any such group in its pivotal characteristic - that is, that which classifies the group as a minority - your perspective is inherently limited.

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I want to say yes, but It's hard for me to. I believe all heterosexual people are heterosexist in some way; even if they might not be aware of it. I mean, it's extremely hard to not be that way when you grow up in a heterosexual culture.

What I hate is straight 'allies' who use so and so to justify their bullshit. Happened with a therapist of mine. She thought she was such a great straight ally because she supported gay marriage, yet she believed lesbians couldn't have a 'emotional' sexual experience because only a penis could change who you are and makes you fall in love with your partner.

9. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah I see, thank you.

10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, my secular counselor knew how how to deal with bi issues, but my pastor friend did not understand. "Why can't you first date a woman and just remain loyal to her and avoid men and not give into that attraction?" He accepted me, but I don't think he realized how bisexuality worked.

So, some can, some cannot.

11. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree.
    The best kind of therapist is a helpful therapist. Their gender and sexuality is irrelevant.
    There's some types of knowledge that can only be gained by experience (e.g. the pain of a burn, how it feels to be stung by a bee, etc.), but as Nick07 said, "no one will know exactly how you are feeling".

12. CyanChachki

I think that to an extended point they can, just like psychiatric therapists are experts on disorders that they don't have to an extent. It's all by study, they know what they know based on seeing others or reading up on it. Personally, I don't believe that anyone genuinely knows anything until they've either been through it or have had/still have it.

As for an LGBTQ expert that's both heterosexual and cis, I feel that they have to be homosexual and/or transgender to truly understand what they go through on a daily basis and only then will they be a genuine expert. Though I believe that if you're asking about therapists that will help you get through your journey as a transgender, then I suppose a heterosexual cis therapist would be the best. If it where the other way around, the therapist would have too much heart and let everyone get through the process without question because they do understand what it's like and therefore, would be more supportive while a heterosexual cis would check through everything to really make sure..

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear this "Well, you can't experience it unless you've lived it" crap all the time and, at least in my opinion, that's just what it is... crap.

One of the most common places it comes up is in the addiction treatment field, where addicts will often disrepect the input and advice of therapists or counselors who are not recovering addicts. As one of my friends, himself a 25 year ex-addicts says, that's ridiculous. People who have learned to live happy, healthy lives don't have to know about and live dysfunction in order to help others through it.

And the exact same thing applies to therapy and therapists. If therapists could only provide expertise on things they'd personally experienced, no therapist would be able to see *any* client because... no therapist has been through all (or even most) of the things that their clients have.

The key is empathy, combined with understanding and theoretical underpinnings. The best therapist I had out of five was a straight female, then in her early 50s, married with kids. Her specialty, I found out years later, was adolescent social adjustment. But she was simply amazing. She had very little knowledge of LGBT issues when I started seeing her, but as I realized that I was gay and started coming out... she stepped up to the plate, read, studied, talked to other therapists... and did an incredible job. Not once did I ever feel she didn't understand.

I've been in professional trainings with hundreds of therapists. I've had deep conversations (in a professional, not therapeutic, context) with probably dozens. And I've come to understand that it is not lived experience, but insight and understanding and empathy that allows the best therapists to do what they do.

And, for that matter, I've met and talked to a lot of downright abysmally bad therapists who were gay and specialized in gay clients. These people were worse than no therapist at all. Why? Because they were still so wounded, and so isolated and immersed in their gay environments that they had no outside perspective.

Now... that said, there are certainly a lot of therapists who are straight who are abysmally bad and suck as well. The key is whether the therapist is willing to own where his or her strengths or weaknesses are. A good therapist should welcome the question about where their own weaknesses, blind spots, or filters are, and when you find a therapist willing to honestly address this, you've found someone who's done their work. That, above all else, is what's necessary to provide great therapy to a client, gay or straight.

14. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I feel like the problem is that my therapists just don't understand. I usually get cis hetero women who are gay allies and 'skilled' in gay areas, but I still endure a lot of lesbian misogyny from them, and don't feel safe discussing my feelings to them.

15. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, met my new therapist at the LGBT center today. She is bi, smart, empathetic, and nice. Score one for the "home" team. :slight_smile:

16. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I've found a new therapist that is a lesbian. I could be wrong, but she strikes me as being knowledgeable. The previous one is/was "odd". I remember the topic of being trans getting brought up and she gave me such a pointed look that was accompanied with a such a piercing tone… I was quick to dispel the question and she started going on about how that was "good" because otherwise, it would've have been another matter. I wonder how she would have treated me if I had said "Yes."

She also seemed very inclined to steer me into coming to the conclusion that I was a lesbian. One minute I'm talking about questioning my sexuality and the next thing I know, I am a lesbian. No alternatives. She seemed happy… I think that is a rather weird stance to come from by a supposedly straight person. :confused:

---------- Post added 11th Jul 2014 at 09:38 PM ----------

I don't blame you. I remember as a kid, I was seeing this male psychiatrist. My family asked him to ask me about my tomboy inclinations and my refusal to wear a purse. I doubt highly that this guy was an LGBT expert, nor do I think he had any good morels. Anyway, at the end of the session, he asks my family to come in. He tells them everything that I said, and then all three of them proceed to jump on me (figuratively) and accuse me of things because I didn't like acting female.

I think that for now on, that I am just going to stick with doctors that are actually apart of the community, unless they are good friends of mine.

---------- Post added 11th Jul 2014 at 09:43 PM ----------

She made the insinuation more than once. Actually, she toted herself as being a respected member of her field and an expert on issues that were practically a mile long. How she became this respected on anything, I don't know. I really don't think she knew whatever the fuck it was that she was doing. She did a lot of things that speak of a questionable therapeutic practice.

17. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes, I think so.

18. Yes, but not an excellent one. LOL even I'm not completely educated about the LGBT community, particularly the T part.

You don't always need to be in that particular group to understand it. I'm not even a expert on my own ethnic background.

19. Foxface

Friggin finally!

I am sorry but I find it quite offensive that people can just write off a therapist without knowing them. As Chip stated someone can get deep enough into the world of their clients to learn, feel and walk their walk. I am not saying it isn't a bit more difficult because it probably is. I specialize in anxiety and I suffer anxiety so yeah I can feel it. Not that I can feel it MORE than another therapist...rather I just got to feel it faster than others.

Any therapist or ally can walk in shoes that aren't theirs. It is possible.

If anything, taking the time to learn to walk the walk is an amazing and deep experience.

I don't know what it is to suffer PTSD but I counsel people with it and make a difference. I am not schizophrenic but I do therapy with people who have it and I am told I do fine

But of course I am not perfect...but it's all about taking the time to learn

but there is one thing people are not seeing here...and it is very real

There is such a thing as over-empathy and it happens a lot

People who are gay and counseling someone who is gay. People who suffer depression and counsel people with depression. They start to get this idea that they 'know' the experiences of their client. They throw out the learning experience and decide that because they live in the 'same world' that they know exactly what their client is going through...and it's just as dangerous

The reality is...

NOBODY is an expert on ANYONE else but yes people can be experts on LGBT issues with enough practice. The truth of the therapeutic relationship is getting to know that person, not just the world within that they walk.

Just please, give therapists a chance and don't judge prematurely...they may know your world much than you imagine but no they won't know 'you' specifically. That takes time

as far as an individual therapist...yes they can be bad, but yes they can be experts and know the walk a lot

20. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, if they talk to and studied hundreds if not thousands of LGBT people. Then they will probably know more about being LGBT than most LGBT people.