1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Falling hard for minor friend and I think it is mutual. What do I do!?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Wilzyax, May 29, 2014.

1. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Okey
    I can't bear with this feelings anymore. I do not exactelly know what I am asking, or if anyone has any help to offer me, but I really need some outside thoughts on this one.

It all started half a year ago, I became friends with a boy which is still one year under age, also a minor. In the start this didn't bug me, but as I started to develope feelings for him it become a problem, exspecilly since this feelings are growing stronger for each single day.

Now we are best friends, and since we have become so close, so fast, most of our friends mock us for being gay for each other or a couple. Even someone had told us that we look "cute" together, so this is not me imagen things, or?

So why does our friendship draw so much attention?
    We are constantly hanging around each other, and we always end up in each others company when we are hanging out with other friends, usally ending up in a corner for ourselfs; just the two of us talking, ignoring all the rest.

He is very touchy with me, always finding excuses to touch me. He can put his hand on my shoulder when talking to me, tickeling me when I do somethings stupid, and don't mind if our legs or arms are brushed up against each other, just to say a few.

We always keep eye contact as long as we can, until one of us smile or laugh, breaking it off. And occasionally when we stared at each other we end up with our faces pressed up against one another, so close that not just our noses touches, but also our foreheads.

We also say the gayest things around each other, but he always brush it off with "but I am not gay". He can look me in the eyes, taking hold of my hand and tell me how he will never leave me. And of course that is really sweet, but seriously does straight guys making jokes like that?!?
    In the start he was very homophobic, telling how gross and "wrong" it was to be gay, but now he does not seem to be. Actually, now he does not have any problems with gays, sure he still think it is wrong (All his, and mine family as well; are christians), but he say that he has no problem anymore of accepting gays for being gay.

And it hasn't been a single day (the two last months) that we haven't talked or seen each other. And we always have something to talk about, and if it weren't for our parents or our families I guess we could have talked through the whole night, not getting bored. And when he does stuff without me, he usually tell how much it sucked, and that I should have been there too.

But my problem now is that I do really like him, but still I am afraid since he is a minor. I do want to show him that I am into him, but without going too far? (I think)?

Usually when we are cuddimg or wrestling, ending up in intimate positions he always excusing himself, telling me that he is sorry, and that he isn't gay. It's like he think I am afraid of gays, even tought I told him I do not mind it.

The biggest problem of him saying how he isn't gay, is that He initiate alot of things that I read as gay.

We were changing after using a bubblebath in the yard of a friend, he told me that if I weren't a boy he would have shared the shower with me, nude. And he has told me how he think public showers are embarrassing, but when we are showering or changing infront of each other he does not seem to mind, not making any effort to cover up more personal parts. And we are planning on a sleepover with a friend soon, and he asked me if we could share a double mattress that he could bring with him. His excuse was that there is a less chance for any of us ending up falling on the floor, off the mattress; because it was much "bigger" than two singles. And I actually WANT to share a mattress with him, but something tell me that if we do he will cuddle up against me. And what do I do then? He is still one year under age, and what do I do if he catch me having a boner for him, or even worse, that HE initiate to some sort of sexual action.... I don't want to do anything illegal, but also I don't want to act like I am homophobic or not interested.

So is he gay or just a very very touchy feely guy? He does not act like this with anyone else, but is that just because we are so good friends? Or are there something more?
    How do I show him I like him without saying (because he will just brush it off if I tell him), and how far can I go without doing something really stupid?
    Please help :slight_smile:

2. Hyaline

Ugh. That is rough. I was in that situation in reverse...Drove me crazy that he kept me at a distance until I was 18...

OK...I would ask him if he likes you. The "But I am not gay" thing seems like a defense mechanism to keep his social status amongst his friends, you included. Now, he might say yes, he might say no, he might say "I don't know". if he waivers, it would be your chance to say "well, I ask because I like you".. or something similar...

as far as sharing a bed, well, you are treading on thin ice there. If you can, try to avoid it. Certainly keep your hands to yourself at least until he is of legal age and reciprocates. I have shared beds with other guys before and never had any touchy feely. So it is plenty possible, but in your case, I suspect you'll spend the better part of the night awake wondering if he is sleeping/awake etc. if the situation is as sexually tense as you say, odds are neither of you will sleep.

Does he know about you? or does he have any reason to suspect you are gay? Maybe start there and see where it goes.. admitting you like him too might be a place to start.. "I've never felt so close to another person" "I am so lucky to have you in my life" etc...

but be a big boy and mind your manners, but the day he is legal and willing, kiss the heck out of him, you know...and the rest of it.. :slight_smile:

3. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It does seem like hes gay, and i think hes hiding feelings for you and does he know your bi or not?

4. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No, he does not know that, or the more proper way to say it; he does not want to hear it. At several occasions he have asked or more confirmed: "but you aren't gay", or "you can't be gay". So it is pretty much hopeless to tell him so, unless he makes a move on me first :/

---------- Post added 30th May 2014 at 04:37 AM ----------

Okay
    Can I just ask, since you were in a similar situation; How did this distance affected you? Did it work out, were it for the best? And if you could look back now, what would be the best for keeping YOU interested when you were still under the age of 18?

Because I understand that any sexual action are inproperate, but are there others ways I can show him that I like him?

#4 Wilzyax, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, you don't say how old you are, but if it's only a couple of years, check your state laws. Some states recognize a "Romeo and Juliet" law where relationships and sexual activity are not illegal if there is no more than 3 years difference.

But more importantly, I'd say with a pretty high degree of confidence that he is gay and still struggling with accepting it himself, so I would tread very, very carefully.

If the sleepover does happen, and (assuming it were legal) if something sexual were to happen, even if just mutual masturbation... He may feel tremendous shame about it if he isn't ready to accept it, and with a religious upbringing, that could damage your friendship.

It does seem that he is interested but I would suggest just moving very slowly. A year isn't that long a time, and perhaps that will give him time to come closer to accepting himself.

Also, if you aren't fully out, and you two do decide you are dating... It's going to put a strain in the relationship for both of you to be in the closet so you need to think about the implications for yourself as well.

6. Hyaline

I originally met him when I was 14 and he was 22. I don't want to share too many details but basically he was a leader and I was one of a group of boys around that same age that went out camping. I was attracted to him after a few months. He was already treating me different than the other guys and I certainly got more of his attention than anyone else. I don't think anyone noticed really. I talked about him endlessly and as I got closer to 18, I came to terms with having a huge crush on him. Because there were many times just he and I went camping and we slept in close quarters, I tended to talk in my sleep and he overheard me basically having a sexual dream about another friend who I named aloud. This basically let him know for sure I was into guys. I also tended to answer questions while I was sleeping and on a different night he actually asked me. (He told me all this years later).

Sometime after I graduated HS, we were hanging out and had gone out for an overnight camping trip in the local mountains. He fessed up he knew about me and we had a really great night together. (And lots more after that).

Long term, he had issues that can't be overlooked (I've touched on them elsewhere on here but in short he is a pathological liar). They were deal breakers and even though I felt a huge loss when he was finally out of my life, I was happy to move on. Oddly, he lives less than 100yards from our house with his wife and son. We have tried several times over the years to rekindle the friendship and it just isn't the same.

In my case, I wasn't out and certainly didn't know any other gay people. While I had done just about everything two guys can do up to that point, I hadn't considered myself gay or straight. It wasn't until later that I realized what was going on and gave myself the gay label.

To answer your questions, because I was so enamored with him, it would have taken a lot to sway my interest. I didn't really have anyone else I was interested in at that point (other than drooling over a few boys at school that were never interested).
    He was the big brother I never had and like lots of big brothers, we hang on their every world looking for their approval. I suspect it will be the same for you. Give him the attention he craves when times allows it. Odds are, he will eat it up.

Looking back I am glad he waited until I was of age or at least old enough to have a bit of a clue. Being close to him sparks very fond memories.

#6 Hyaline, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  7. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi thanks for sharing your story, that means a lot for me :slight_smile:
    But I've got a second questions, or I am just wondering. If I understood you right; you said you didn't have a clue or weren't old enough to understand. And this older boy, he was not interested in you like romantical, or am I misunderstood?

My problem is that I think this boy I am falling for are very much aware of his actions towards me, even though he try to hide this. A few days ago he told me: "I think we should stop with the cuddling and touchy feeling". So I asked him "How come?" And he said "Because it makes us gay". And I told him that "I do not mind, and that, and that I didn't care what others might think of it". So we are still very close, and he still touches me and cuddles me after that little conversation. So I know that he think of this actions as gay, but he still does them. And now I can't stop thinking of him, and I just know that he is someone I always wants near me in my life.
    And about the big brother thing, most of his friends are mine friends, because he thinks that most of the guys at his age are too immature (he is kinda old for his age). When I am the completely oppsite, hell it is almost not possible to tell that I am older than him, so the age difference is 't the main problem.... But what bugs me is that he is still underage....
    So do you think there is any chance that this relationship could last?

---------- Post added 30th May 2014 at 04:05 PM ----------

The age of conscience in my country are 16, he is 15, as I am 20. In the start the age gap really bugged me, I even had a struggle with myself accepting him as a friend (in the start). What I've learned was that the age didn't matter, as he was mutual for his age, as I am the opposite. I am not directely childish, but most people guess my age to be 16 to 17, so don't exactelly look old for my age. My crush however could easly go as 16-17, and he does not have any close friend at his age, because he thinks they are so immature. So most of his friends are either my age, or 2-3 years older than him.
    So I don't think the difference are a problem for me, but the fact that he is still underage, and so much younger than I thought scares me. Because I sometimes forget that he is underage.
    I am not out to anyone at the moment, I feel like I need confidence and a push to do it. But there is a voice that tells me that he could be the one, helping me taking that step.
    So I do not know if this thoughts are your perspectives on my case, but anyways thanks for your help :slight_smile:

8. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm....

It's tough to know what to do in this situation.
    I think it might help if you found out what his feelings really are. As in, if he really likes you romantically. You could probably just ask him this.... or maybe come out to him, and ask if he was thinking about not being straight etc. Or just tell him you're starting to like him, but that you're not sure how he's feeling.

If it turns out that he does like you... well... How long will it be until he turns 16?

9. Hyaline

For me, I knew that I wanted to be around him and be near him all the time. As far as romantic, I don't think I had put my feelings for him together as being more than just brotherly admiration. I didn't occur to me till later that I loved him. (Yes, I used the "l" word.) There were circumstances that happened after we were buds and were intimate that caused me to walk away from us being friends...

As far as the age gap, there was a bit more of a gap with us and likely we were on the same emotional level at the time we were "buds"... The gap never bothered me at all, it was nice to have someone older take an interest in what I was doing. So I ate up all the attention.

My advice is to be cautious. be honest with him. 15 is a tough time for guys as you know. We are figuring out who we are at that time and it can be tough to come to the realization that your concept of yourself might be different. Especially true if you come to the realization that you are gay.

Honestly, I am happy for you, enjoy your time together...

10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Woah. Sorry to say, but hold it right there. 5 years age difference at the age of 15 is way, way, way out of the question. 3 years difference at 17 is pushing it, but 15 and 20 is simply not OK. The developmental differences between a 15 and a 20 year old are phenomenally different, and, legal or not, this would not be a healthy relationship.

I would very strongly suggest against any sort of anything that in any way furthers the feelings either of you have for the other (which may be difficult to do at this stage, I understand.) But if you honestly care about him, then being in a relationship with him at this point isn't going to be in his best interest.

The power dynamics introduced by the age difference will be too great to overcome, and the relationship won't be balanced.

I'm sorry to come off so strongly on this, and I know that it isn' twhat you want to hear... but I am confident it's the right choice.

My guess is that part of the reason for the draw both of you have for each other is because you are both closeted (if, in fact, he's gay, which seems likely.) Once you come out, I think things will change pretty significantly for you, and if/when he is ready to come out, the same will happen for him. I wish I could advise you differently, but, at least in my opinion, dialing back the friendship, at least for 4 or 5 years, is necessary if you want the possibility of a relationship that can be healthy.

11. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    He does not turn 16 before next year, but I do not feel the need to rush things, so I guess that's okay by me.

---------- Post added 31st May 2014 at 07:11 AM ----------

I will do my best, and taking it all slow. I don't know how things will work out, but I know that I won't accept losing or damage my friendship to him because of my feelings.

---------- Post added 31st May 2014 at 07:16 AM ----------

Whoa, I am thankful for your opinion, but can I just ask you; how you can be so confident and certain that this won't work out? Any personal experience?
    Anyway I do know that I have to take everything slow, and sure will. But I just wonder how you can be so "sure" that our friendship isn't healthy, despite the fact that you do not know any of us.....
    But anyway, thanks for reply :slight_smile:

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From a developmental perspective, people below a certain age lack certain basic skills, abilities, and competencies. Someone at 15 doesn't even have full brain development yet. Many personality attributes are just forming. From a social psychology perspective, the way in which a 15 year old socially interacts is completely different than the way a 20 year old intereacts. And finally, to a 15 year old, a 20 year old looks like a parent or teacher or adult figure; 5 years age difference is a lifetime to someone of that age.

This is all really soundly documented in personality and developmental theory.

Can you get in a relationship that he'll go along with? Sure. Will it be dysfunctional? Almost without a doubt. Will it likely negatively impact his psychological development? Very likely.

13. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I hope I does not sound childish or stubborn for this, but I have to disagree to some point with you. Jay Geidd find that the limbistic system of the human brain are fully developed at the age of 15. By this means that the frame of mind and emotions reaction-pattern in the human brain are completely developed by this age.
    My understanding is that you have set your mind at deciding that this relationship will be dysfunctional because of the age-gap. And you also state that the interaction are different from age 15 to 20, but however the cognitive skills for interactions aren't set by age (something I think you should know). Remember that people do interact different with different kind of people, based on either context or cognitive level. A am a student, and in the subject I am studying I might have a high cognitive level, but that does not mean I am high cognitive in other terms or contexts. So when you tell me our ways of interactions are "completely" different because of our age, you also say that cognitivism are measured by age and not what you actually have learned or experienced! Something I think is a completely wrong and closed mind-set.
    The prefrontal cortex however aren't developed in boys before the age 25-26. The prefrontal cortex as you might know has nothing to do with interaction, but the ability to think of different outcomes and consequences of our actions.
    So we are both between the space where our limbistic system are developed, and the process of development in our prefrontal cortex hasn't started yet, so technically by " psychological" terms we are both at the same level.
    I think you have mistaken the prefrontal cortex with the limbistic system. Because you are talking about how we are interacting on different levels, and how our cognition are different as a result of our age. But that would only be right if one of us hadn't developed the limbistic system, which aren't the case in this situation.
    I do not know how old you are, or what your references are, but I can assure you I know what I am talking about. Just to clear things, I didn't ask because I had a problem with the age-gap, but I asked for advices on how I should act so I could make this friendship last (without doing anything that were against the law). Of course I appreciate all feedback and help, but I appreciate that when someone are referring to science; that they do not get too subjective and that they also are getting their facts right. My prefer and first language aren't English, but I hope you get my point.
    However I will not rush things, and of course I would not initiate anything unless he initiate approval at first. So I do see what you mean, even thought I do disagree with you telling me that my friendship with him is "dysfunctional".

14. Hyaline

I admire and typically agree with what Chip says. In this case, I had 8 years apart and I don't feel that my development was hindered by my relationship with someone 8 years my senior. But the parallels to the OPs story are strikingly similar. My friend was socially immature for his age and still kinda is a kid in a grown up body. So perhaps I might have been the older "acting" one.

As with any social situation, there will always be outlying cases where the people involved fit outside the typical. It is possible that you and he are in that place.

My advice is still to be careful and not do anything until he is old enough to be of age at which time he can make the decision for himself. But if it was me, I'd sit him down and talk with him about it, being open and honest and gauge his reaction. My worry would be that youd both be in a vulnerable situation like a sleepover and do something that one of you might regret later because you felt pressured into it. Especially with the age dynamic.

I say for now, enjoy his company and continue to be his friend. But set boundaries you both can live with until such time as you both mutually want to change them.

15. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks, Yeah I guess we are both a little bit out of the standards. Him acting mature for his age, when I have no problem acting "childish" when it isn't necressary for me being "old". But thanks for the tip, I will keep him as a close friend for now, because nothing is worth losing this kind of friendship. But I do not want scare him with taking the big conversation, but would it be an idea to take small pep-talks about this. Leaving small hint and expressing myself in small amounts at the time?? :slight_smile:

16. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There might be physical development of the limbic (not limbistic) system by age 15, but nobody credible in the fields of developmental or adolescent psychology believes that personalty, emotional development, or any other parts of brain development are complete by 15 or even by 18. In fact, the more recent research indicates that some aspects of brain function and decisionmaking aren't fully developed until somewhere around 25.

Based on the above, apparently not.

Because clearly, based on your post above, you have a deep and complete knowledge of this area of study.

You know, as the adult in the situation, your role is not to let him make the decisions, but to make them yourself. What you're essentially saying here is you're abdicating your own responsibility and passing the buck to someone who isn't emotionally mature enough to make such a decision. That's a rationalization. I can't tell you what to do, but I will point out that while you're arguing the age gap isn't an issue, you pointed out in the first post that your initial concerns were about the age difference... and now you're arguing that it's irrelevant.

I think your initial concerns were on the mark, you came here hoping for validation, didn't get it, and now aren't happy with the advice you were given. So all I can say is... if what you care about are your own interests and not his (which seems likely), then there isn't much I or anyone else can do about that, other than to suggest you rethink things (and perhaps do a bit more research on social and psychological development.)

Just to be clear... I never said your friendship was dysfunctional. On the contrary, people can and do have many friendships that cross decades and generations, and those can be rich, fulfilling and valuable to both parties. It is when we cross the line from friendship into relationship that the problems arise.

17. emc2

It seems that he is at odds with himself. On one hand, he likes cuddling and touching you (and other stuff a person who is in love would do - am I right about this?). But on the other hand, when you try to reciprocate, he withdraws by giving all sorts of excuses. I think he is confused about/with himself, his own sexuality. He is probably in denial stage. He doesn't want to think that he may be gay. At 15, he will be going through a lot more changes within himself, emotionally and mentally. So, it would be better to continue with the cuddling and touchy-feely stage and not beyond this stage until he is ready (after he is in the legal age). Not to sound gloomy but you may have to wait a couple of years more.

With regards to the sleepover, I think it would be best not to sleep on the same mattress with him. It may lead to something you may regret later. However, if you are unable to sleep on another mattress, do keep your hands to yourself. Unless he understands and accepts who he is himself (and of legal age), don't go to the next stage.

I hope everything works out for you.:slight_smile:

18. olides84

All I can say is that in my opinion, it seems you are on the right track with your feelings that you must be careful until he's of legal age. I don't really understand - why you can't share with him that you are bisexual? And if that revelation opens the door to both of you wanting to go from friendship to relationship, then you can share with him your concerns about legalities, age difference and anything else.

And by the way, I'd suggest taking the advice from folks here that give you their personal experiences or that seem to really be paying attention to your situation and your questions. Be cautious about advice from those who consider you and your friend mere numbers (the numbers being 15 and 20 in this instance) which can simply be entered into a mathematical function that spits out results like dysfunction, emotional immaturity, etc. And then belittle you repeatedly when you respond with a different view (um, yes, I'm talking about Chip's last post, which if directed to me would make me fume).

19. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi chill off dude, no need to use "master suppression techniques" on me, that's just weak!
    You clearly have a different view on things than I am, but no need to be grumpy. You say I am "hoping for validation, didn't get it, and now aren't happy with the advice I've got"!?
    First off, I thought this was a supportive forum, but it's clearly not with you as an admin attacking me. Does it makes you feel great, ripping on me, or what?
    And second, if you havn't noticed, every other reply I've got on this tread have been supportive and positive. Your the first one stating how "wrong" I am, but you know so much better than everyone else I guess, since your an admin and all.
    And yes, I posted a tread earlier, were the age-gap were an issue for me, but as time go by I learn more about my friend and about myself, and noe the age-gap isn't a issue for me anymore, so YES age gap is kind of irrelevant for me now.
    And do we really have to base everything on logic? I mean, I asked help on this forum not to know what "statestics" say, but I wanted to hear what others in maybe similar situations had learned through experience.
    And last, NO I do not push the responsibilie away on this kid, but if we are developing a relationship in a few years from now, I do not want to make that disicion alone, but want that to be something that we both chooses to do, and a statement we both find together.
    And just so you know, a friend of my mother got into a realationship with a 20 year old when she were only 14, and now they have been married for 30 years. So how does that fit with your so glory psycological view on life?
    Anyway I've learned a lot through this tread, and got many helpful advice on what to do in this friendship; that I do take with me. Just to clear things I am not here because I want a relationship right now, but I want to keep this friendship strong, in case it can grow to something more some years from now. And hopefully that would work, and if there won't be anything more that's fine, because I am not her for just myself. The most important thing for now is to make this friendship last, which were my reason for posting this tread in the first place.

---------- Post added 31st May 2014 at 03:17 PM ----------

Yeah, I do not want to rush things, but things has developed so fast between us the last two months, so I just had to clear my mind I guess. Of course I won't let anything happen before he is ready, or if it's meant to be. Anyway first priority keep this close friendship with him :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 31st May 2014 at 03:23 PM ----------

Hi thanks :slight_smile:
    Yeah, I think I might have to tell him I am bi, and hopefully it can help him sort things out for himself. And I really appriciate everyone that shared their personal experience, and thanks for the support.
    Yeah chips last post really pissed me off, most because he does not know me or my friend in person, so I found his reply a little harsh, but I think I have a better feeling now for how I can go on with this friendship. Thanks to your and all the other good advices I've got :slight_smile: