1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make-up Thread

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Stacy in MA, May 1, 2014.

1. Kat 5

Chemistry? Water? Shaving cream? I use none of these. Been thinking about make-up though.

2. ThisIsTheKenneth

Out Status:
    All but family
    How do you shower... :icon_bigg

I've been thinking of using makeup too, mostly around the eyes. I don't know how to make it look non-raccoonish though!

3. BelleFromHell

Anyone know any good hypo-allergenic makeup brands? (preferrably under $100)
    I want to start wearing makeup, but my skin is SENSITIVE...

4. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    You can keep your isopropyl, just leave me some booze outside on the doorstep.....

5. Stacy in MA

If you fear the raccoon I would go easy on the eyeliner until you get the hang of things. You can always start small (a little mascara and maybe subtle, neutral eye shadow) and then add things as you figure out what you like and how to do it. To re-beat those dead horses, Youtube and practice are your friends!

6. Monika the Diva

On YouTube check out Michelle Phan. She gives REALLY good advice on how to use make up to get the looks that you need. I learned a lot of what I know from her.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pure ethanol is very flammable and not available to the general public. Vodka or other spirits are 40% abv and the majority is water which contributes to rusting.

70 ISP topical rubbing alcohol is sufficient to prevent oxidation. That's the stuff that costs 2 bucks at the local CVS.

8. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    Just ignore me, I make bad jokes when I feel compelled to open my mouth and make strange noises come out.

Sometimes I don't know what to say, but know I want to say something and ^^^ this happens.

9. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Nah, I got you were quipping. You'll just have to excuse our New England schoolmarm, she's of a serious bent of mind. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Manta

Other things you can try are using a dark brown instead of black eyeliner, particularly if you are very pale like me, and going inside the eyelashes. One technique that is difficult but has great results once mastered is using a sharp eye pencil or liquid eyeliner to place dots between each eyelash on the bottom lid. If done well it looks like a lighter line or shading from a short distance and helps break up the raccoon feel.

Tinning the lines as you come towards the nose also help, and making the line on the bottom lid tapper off sooner than the top looks gentler than bringing it all the way in. A lot of girls do very little on the bottom because putting it on too heavily there can look weighty if the top is light or like a raccoon it the top is heavy.

11. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love makeup but I know next to nothing about it. Anybody know if you can combine blue and pink

12. ThisIsTheKenneth

Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you I am ridiculously pale and will definitely try using brown!

13. Stacy in MA

You definitely can but it's not usually going to be a subtle look :icon_wink. I did a quick search on Youtube and here is one I thought looked pretty

Spring 2013 Makeup Tutorial

If I were combining pink and blue and wanted to be more subtle I might use soft pinks on the lid and maybe some bright blue liner on the bottom waterline or maybe use a darker blue in the crease.

14. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  15. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

One thing I'm interested to try (still need to explore LadyBlacksoul's link) is a technique to make my eyes look more almond-shaped. This is a look I've always wanted for myself. As it is, my eyes kind of droop downward slightly at the corners, which makes me look somewhat tired. (I often am, but that's beside the point. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) And of course, as I posted earlier in the thread, recently purchased some false lashes, so interested to see what they will do for my droopy eyes. (World, can you just stand freakin' still for a bit so I can do the things I want to do? Ugh.)

16. NoaWinchester

I don't like to wear makeup, because I'm not 100% comfortable with it - I'm not really feminine most of the time and I'm still confused about my gender identity, but I do wear some because I'm uncomfortable with the way my face looks (with and without it. Let's not get into that).
    However, I like makeup on other people. Kirstie's makeup in the Daft Punk Medley was indeed gorgeous, she's so fucking beautiful (major PTX fan over here). :slight_smile:

17. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What's best lipstick or lipgloss

18. Stacy in MA

<yoda>stick or gloss, whatever happy makes you, wear you should, there is no best</yoda>

You can also combine them. If you want to make your lips appear fuller, you can always use lipstick and then put a little bit of gloss in the center of the bottom lip and a tiny bit in the middle of the two tallest parts of your upper lip. The shimmer of the gloss can give the illusion of depth making the lips as whole appear larger.