1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the REAL percentage of homosexuals in America?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JStevens96, Apr 27, 2014.

1. DMark69

The following is from the Kinsey Reports that were done in 1948, and 1953. It is the source of the 10% number, and states that 10% of males are more or less exclusively homosexual, and 8% of males were exclusively homosexual for at least 3 years between ages 16 and 55. It also states that 37% of males had at least some over homosexual experience to orgasm.

This report having been taken so long ago, in such a conservative time, are probably conservative numbers. If Alfred Kinsey were able to make the same study today, I would be on the numbers being higher.

The Kinsey Institute - Reference - Bibliographies - Homosexuality [Related Resources]

People who study kinsey will also usually tell you that only 10% are exclusively Heterosexual as well.

#21 DMark69, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  2. Techno Kid

I would not put it at over 10% personally. : 3

3. Kreiger

I guess the place to start measuring more accurately today would be the gay friendly places. I've heard San Francisco's something like 11% non-straight.

4. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

10% is one of the estimates without including those in the closet. But alright, if you'se say so. Lol

5. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hawaii has a reported LGBT rate of around 5% and D.C. around 10%. Having said that I think that around these numbers are a good standard to use. Why? HI and D.C. are very liberal places where being gay isn't a big deal. In fact I feel like gay people are loved more in Hawaii sometimes. Anyways putting into a fact that there's people that are not positive about their sexuality or are lying, i'd say around 7-10% is a good number. It's not like being liberal makes you gay (sorry to burst your bubble McConnell and Bill O Riley) nor is there a chemical that's making everyone gay. Out of my friends at least 1 out of 10 of my friends is openly gay (not that I purposely hang out with gay people).

6. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    3-5% gay I'd guess.

I think the number of people capable of getting with both sexes is higher, perhaps 10-20%.

Sadly I think the number of kinsey 3's is probably lower, more like 1-2%

Trans, less than 1%

7. 101DeadRoses

Around where I live there are two, maybe three gay/bi people that are openly gay, and they are FAR apart, so very few. But with tolerance increasing, maybe the 11% is going up to maybe more like 13%, maybe more.

8. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I think 5% is sort of accurate for gay people that are 5 or 6 in the kinsey scale, but for bi people and people that are mostly hetero but flexible, that might indeed be a lot more.

9. antimacy

I agree with this. There are also tons of people still in the closet, so I don't think polls will ever be totally accurate.

10. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say around 10% no less than 8 no more than 12

11. blueberrymuffin

The same polls have indicated that about 4% are gay but 12% have experimented. So do you really go by "willing to get with the same sex"? People will lie in anonymous polls even, but the bigger misleading factor i think is the number who lie to themselves. Denial can be powerful. Why would someone who is truly hetero experiment?

At the same time, in a class of 30 to say there's 1-2 who are clearly gay seems about right. From observation it seems like 5% minimum and 10% max.

12. fluxstate

I go to a school where a common complaint is the lack of available straight males so it's not exactly a representative sample. Many of the LQBTQIA at my school are out and we have a number of students who are transitioning or are living as their chosen gender.

Still, I think the number of folks who are homosexual is probably closer to 10%, but I feel like other non-binary identities is probably much higher. Particularly for people who are MOSTLY heterosexual but pretend they are only "straight". Also there are a lot of identities like asexuality that can "pass as normal".

13. Ditz

I think it would be round about the 5% mark... Just looking at population numbers in my city... 10% would be pushing it and I honestly can't say if I had to fill a hall with 1000 people that 100 would be gay, if that where true there would be waaaaaayyyyyy more dating options available...

14. blueberrymuffin

15. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Seems in outnumbered when it comes to my opinion, lol. Maybe 20% is too much.

16. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think we will ever know until/unless there is no longer open discrimination which discourages people from investigating their own sexuality. Too many of us just "go with the flow", and being gay right now is going upstream. Based on the people I see personally who are willing to say, it is closer to 5% than 10%, in the current environment.

17. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just don't think there's any way of knowing from personal experience, because while indeed we are everywhere, gay people--especially out people--statistically tend to self-select toward certain areas. The fact of the matter is that in my day to day life probably 30-40% of the people I encounter are gay. For most of my twenties a good 75-80% of the people I encountered in my day-to-day life were gay--it says a lot about the places I have lived and the circles I move in but very little about the makeup of the population as a whole. Frankly, some of those areas where it seems like no one is gay, it may be because when they come out they move to other places. I'm from Utah. My partner is from Oklahoma. In fact, back in the day when almost everyone I knew was gay it always surprised me when I found out someone was actually from here.:lol:

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  19. I'd say it's so much more because with all the LGBTQs I see here and on Tumblr and on Youtube, there must be SO much more that are in the closet or haven't discovered themselves yet. So, yeah, I say around 15%!