1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG sexism!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BookDragon, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Axxel

Axxel Guest

Things like this make me really glad I grew up with male role models who couldn't care less about this kind of thing.

2. Karabeara

I had an eighth of an inch stubble in my armpits and my mom's all like " are you growing it out to braid it " which is absurd since she didn't even let my start shaving until it was way longer than that. People say its your choice then they tease you all the time if you don't. The sexism is ridiculous. > : (

3. ThisIsTheKenneth

Out Status:
    All but family
    Anyone else remember all of those Carl Jr's commercials?

4. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Of course a company that is making razors will say that body hair doesn't look good on a woman. Same as companies that make razors for men make all those commercials where men only get attention from women after they've got completely smooth faces. It's not sexism, it's just a commercial, marketing. Stop being so overly sensitive.

Sure, making a claim that without shaving you become a man overnight is downright stupid, but they would make the same kind of claims if they targeted men not women. They aren't sexist, they are just trying to sell their crap.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to disagree, because their is a significant difference between selling your crap and blatant sexism.

Now if I want to sell a razor all I have to do is tell you that it shaves well and that your legs will get smooth. At a push I can say that shaved legs look good.

The difference is here instead of that, we have an advert shaming people for NOT doing it. You DON'T look good if you don't do this. Or in the case of the US version 'You look like a MAN if you don't do this'.

As I said in the original post I don/t have a problem with most adverts that says you look BETTER with something, otherwise I'd be on a crusade against all beauty products. But this one specifies that you CAN NOT LOOK GOOD without it, and that's not OK.

Moreover if you had men's adverts that told them that they couldn't possibly look good without a product then it's a sexist advert. Doing it to more than one gender doesn't make it ok. Selling through shame is a really disgusting practice. It certainly isn't being 'over sensitive' to point it out.

6. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for mentioning this because it seems whenever these kind of ads pop up people instantaneously just assume there's only these sexist ads towards women. I remember an ad for a razor for men that can shave body hair and all that delightful stuff. It mentioned how women only like men with no kind of body hair and that hair anywhere other than your face is disgusting.

Also, how does everyone feel about ads for face cleaning products and the like, that always have a girl using it? Even worse when they market the good products exclusively to girls and create a stigma that guys don't need 'feminine' products to wash their face. I can still remember the time I bought a Normaderm (?) product and the cashier told it was a women's product.

7. BornAnew

Wow that is just awful! I'd recommend sending in complaints about the advert, it's the only way this kind of stuff is gonna stop.

I remember having a big conversation about this last month with a friend. She was basically sick & tired of being judged for not shaving her legs, it used to stop her from going to some social events (like beach parties etc)...she said it's not fair girls are expected to do this, it's such a big hassle...and the worst part is other girls judge you the most if you don't do it (obviously not all girls would but she felt like often other perfectly made up girls made the biggest deal out of it!).

They just need to tone these adverts slightly differently, mens shaving adverts don't ever come across as preachy or sexist (although there are some exceptions like the guy above mentioned)

8. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think you fully understand the concept of sexism. If both sexes are told that without shaving their hair they are ugly - that is not sexism. If both are told that they have to look their best, otherwise no dates - that is not sexism. And that's exactly what is happening.

Shaming? I have never felt shamed by tv ads. However, I have noticed that many people, primarily women of course, are trying to victimize first themselves and then also everyone else. But remember - it's just a commercial, just marketing, people are trying to make money, they are not after you and aren't trying to turn the whole world against you, and don't even care if you ever use their product as long as you keep buying it.

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

10. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What is the problem in this? Ok, it is not a very good commercial, sure, but why are you making such a big deal out of it and dragging sexism into it? They are not saying that men are by far more intelligent than women and that's a fact, they are making a mere normative statement, expressing their taste - men with some stubble on face look fine, women with hair all over them don't. I haven't seen the commercial but I bet that guys in their commercials don't have full on body hair, not even beards. Standards are the same for both, it's not sexism, it's mere play with language, words, images.

Maybe the problem is that you see ads as authority persons that are telling you things? From the way you write it seems you're describing your mother or a lover giving you a lesson. You are way too emotionally invested in those ads.

No, they would call you insane. If all people are criticized for a trait, biological or whatever else, it is not an issue of discrimination.

11. PurpleGrey

Saw the US version. I'm on the fence on that. On the one hand, I can see how it could even be tested on a sample audience of women and still make it to the air, but on the other hand, who the hell feels like a dude after one day of not shaving? Personally, I have to literally resemble a guy, legwise, before I feel self conscious about it, but that's just me.

All that aside, I do see this attitude towards hair on tv all the time. My sister's kid shows, for example, showed a bit where one girl had pencil-thin brows with no perceivable strays, and yet another girl character acted as if they were caterpillar brows. Even went so far as to say, quote, "speaking of deforestation" when advising her to pluck. Okay, this might be a tangent, and maybe the people in charge of wardrobe and makeup and the like don't know shit about how a character should look, given the context, but it still pisses me off.

12. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My initial response to this is 'I made a post on a support website because i noticed an advert that rubbed me the wrong way, I'm not calling for the company to be shut down', hardly 'such a big deal', but I'll elaborate.

I won't deny that I have a serious problem with reinforcing beauty ideals. I don't have a problem with people wanting to look good, but I do have a problem with people going out and presenting the idea that if you DON'T look good, you are somehow wrong.

The reason I dragged sexism into this was because in 2 days worth of adverts I saw this advert telling me that if I didn't get rid of all my body hair I look ugly, but not once did I see an advert for men do the same. I saw plenty of adverts for male products that said "Use this and good things will happen", I didn't see any (and am struggling to think of many) that used the message "If you DON'T use this, BAD things will happen". That's why I called sexism. In terms of the broader discussion on marketing ethics, I concede that sexism might not come into it as readily, but since I started talking about a specific advert and not advertising as a whole I don't see how bringing up sexism is an issue.

Again, I feel the need to point out that just because it happens the other way as well doesn't mean the individual examples aren't wrong. However I see your point. Perhaps it would have been better for me to title this as "Selling using shame", but as I've explained before I had reasons for me title.

Adverts are what they are. They are a message intended to be seen an acted on. Now as we both know the intended message of this was "Buy a razor" but at the same time it sent out another message "If you don't shave you're weird". I probably ought to point out that I'm clearly not the only one who thought this since the advert got pulled from TV long before I heard about it for exactly the same reasons. Yes, you can look for a hidden horrible message in almost anything, but in this case it was literally the tag line.

Selling me something by saying "look your best - use PRODUCT" is still sending me a message that without it I don't look my best, or that I could easily look BETTER than I do, but I have to work to get that. Not very hard, but I have to twist words and get it. This advert literally tells you that not using the product means you don't look good. Their is implication and there is telling you outright. I know that most people think that body hair isn't great, but that doesn't mean that it has to be reinforced to people that it's OK to think people are ugly if they have it.

No, they would call you insane. If all people are criticized for a trait, biological or whatever else, it is not an issue of discrimination.

So you are telling me that if I walked up to the nearest black guy and said to him "Sir, did you know your skin colour is WRONG, I can change that for you if you pay me, then you won't be ugly" that I'm not going to get called out for it?

Change the word skin colour for almost anything you like. Just because it isn't 'discrimination' doesn't make it OK to do, especially not on a wide scale.

13. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I watced the US one. Honestly I'm not very surprised that it was pulled, USA is the land of over the top PC thanks to (among other groups of people) the laughable Gloria Steinem wing of feminism. The commercial was funny, nothing wrong with it. If women get their psyche traumatized by a commercial like that and get depressed, think that they are ugly or whatever else you claim happens to them due to this supposed shaming - they need to see a good doctor. We're not going to turn the whole world into one big mental hospital with soft walls.

Are you deliberately doing this? Let me quote myself, with the important part in bold:

14. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow! Living in the u.s. I haven't had the chance to see that commercial. It's advertising and people will do anything they can to sell their product. It's all about the money.

15. CosmicNautilus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh my gosh, I hate that advert so much >.< It's like: "B*tch, shut dafuq up! I look beautiful how I am" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Love how the 'beauty' industry just makes its fortune off making women feel insecure. I actually think we are moving backwards in terms of gender equality sometimes. (Especially considering we live in a society where 'gender equality' seems to be a term applied solely to the status of women in relation to men. When realistically, men don't have all the rights women have either, and trans, queer, and intersex people get virtually no recognition within the term gender equality.)

16. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Nautilus, is that Beethoven in your avatar? Looks like a stylized Beethoven silhouette.

(Thinking if I perform any more thread hijacks today, Captain Philips is going to come looking for me.)