1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Firefox CEO supported ban gay marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Nikky DoUrden, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Reptillian

And now, they're bringing politics to their browser. Ok, I gotta say this, in a perfect world, political stances of each individuals should not affect the performance of each companies while all individuals keeps politics out of their work. In other words, I believe Mozilla should keep politics out of the discussion and stick to actually doing what they're suppose to be doing which is working with the browser software. But no, it had to interfere.

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    True so true

3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

The problem is, this is not just a matter of politics. That's the problem. For the anti-gay side, being opposed to marriage equality and gay rights really just appears to be a matter of politics. For actual gay people though, it is not just a matter of political differences, it is a matter of civil rights, of being treated with human dignity and equality under the law. The anti-gay side is not affected at all by same-sex marriage, so of course for them they believe it is just a matter of political differences. But it is NOT, it is so much more than just politics, it's a matter of human rights that directly affects our lives.

If Mr. Eich were just a big proponent of tax cuts for the rich and trickle-down economics, I would say alright, I disagree strongly with his politics, but that shouldn't affect his leadership of the company or affect the overall vision and image of the company. But donating money to deny civil rights to gay couples, that's a totally different story. Can you imagine if Mr. Eich had donated money to fund a campaign promoting racial segregation? Civil rights are not mere politics.

4. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I screenshot this on my computer earlier today. :slight_smile: I never use Firefox anyways. It works horribly on my PC. It will still fun deleting it. It was a waste of space.

[​IMG]

5. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find the over-reaction to this to be a bit excessive. Sure the guy is a POS for being against gay marriage, but it's not like he was using his position at mozilla to influence things or was using company funds to donate to anti-gay causes or something.

6. Nikky DoUrden

In my point of view, I don't want to use a product that the one that leads it, is a real biggot, for me its like accepting his opinion >.>
    I agree its worse to have a president with those kind of opinion (putin), but I do really expect from people in place of power not to have this sort of discrimination opinion..

7. blueberrymuffin

Well thanks for the info. I've used it for years and gonna be switching now (but not to IE)

8. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
  9. Daydream Harp

Cool to hear, also now I don't have to feel dirty for using Firefox anymore which is a nice bonus =P

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Wow forget the boycotts all you have to do these days is piss off the internet and your career is over...

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And it's safe to fire up Firefox again...

Oh, wait, I forgot: Firefox runs at the speed of frozen molasses on this computer. :lol: (OK. Not that bad. But Chromium runs faster than Firefox on this machine.)

12. Aldrick

Here is the message from Executive Chairwoman Mitchell Baker.

This sends a positive message beyond just Mozilla. It sends a message to other companies, and the need for them to be on the right side of history and equality.

13. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

All's well that ends well. :slight_smile:

Sorry for Mr. Eich, appreciate the contributions he has made to computing, but his contributions to causes of denying civil rights to other human beings made him unacceptable as the CEO and public face of Mozilla.

I never uninstalled Firefox, and never intended to, it's still my main browser, but now I don't even need to feel a tinge of guilt about continuing to use it.

14. markosss

I was always using it.but now that I know that firefox is against my rights I will stop.google chrome is much better!!

15. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Might as well use torch then. It's based on Google Chrome but without the Google Tracking, faster downloads, and a built in torrent and music manager.

16. DMark69

The browser wars take a new level. I'm actually surprised anyone with a choice still uses IE (Corporate worlds still leave it as your only choice most of the time). I switched away from IE for Netscape Navigator nearly 20 years ago. IE even decided to change their standard and broke the website of the Equality Organization I belong to. Firefox, Chrome and Safari still work fine, just the last two revisions of IE don't work.
    Firefox is not as good as it once was, it was an improvement as it no longer tried to be an email client, a browser, and other things as IE, and Navigator were doing at the time. I still sometimes use it and have it installed, but use mostly chrome now.
    Having said all that, is it right for someone to be fired for his beliefs? I don't think it is, any more than it is right for one of us to be fired for being gay. He is, or was the public image of his company, and that does account for something. Think about it though if you were forced to resign because you believed in LGBT rights, would that be fair, even if you were ceo? Yes, I know he has resigned, and he was probably told to by the board, making it a firing. The opinions he was being grilled for were even 6 years old. In that time public opinion has changed a lot, and his opinion may have as well.

17. Daydream Harp

Actually, it got fixed just now

18. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You know speed is also dependant on what you have on a browser, your computer itself, etc. FireFox is just as viable as Opera or Chrome or whatever. Every browser has it's pros and cons, especially when it comes to developing for browsers.

Anyways, it's funny to see people flip-flop once more.

19. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With the recent news, it's kind of fitting that I updated my Firefox browser about the same time the news got out.

20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know the computer itself is a huge issue. This machine is far from cutting edge, and Firefox is not the only software that is less than thrilled with the "working environment."

If I had the budget for something made since Obama took office, it's quite possible that I would not notice any real speed difference between Firefox and other browsers.

At least, I did manage to upgrade past the Pentium III I was using 2 years ago...