1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biology or Chemistry?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Dec 5, 2013.

?

Biology or Chemistry?

1. Biology

17 vote(s)
    31.5%
  2. Chemistry

18 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I love both equally

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. I hate both of them

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. person57

So a lot of high school students took Biology and Chemistry in high school? Which subject do you prefer?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Math. Just kidding. I disliked both, but I could at least stand chemistry. Because there was math.

3. person57

Lol

4. Tzoa

I'm a sucker for polls... And I'm not sure why I voted. I never took chemistry, so I don't have a real informed opinion on it. I enjoyed biology, but I should add that I went to a hippy-ish school, so we went outside a lot and went on a ton of field trips.

5. Xochipilli

Ugh! Chemistry was my first C ever! Hated the class. Hated the teacher.
    Bio was much better. Don't remember much of anything though...
    :lol:

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I majored in biochemistry, and I love both. :slight_smile:

7. Foxface

definately bio for me

Foxface

8. Sarcastic Luck

Depends on the chemistry, since chemistry is a broad term. I enjoyed organic chemistry and biochemistry. Given that I also like biology..I guess I'll have to say both.

9. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I enjoy Chemistry but that's because it is more math intensive than biology.

10. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Biology=way less math
    But I only like chemistry cause the teacher is awesome.

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't really enjoy either in high school, but then, high school in general wasn't a pleasant experience for me. Took Biology again, in college, and enjoyed it greatly, made even more enjoyable by a passionate teacher and a few friends made in class. The fact that you studied living, breathing creatures, versus atoms, and a lot more reading and writing was involved probably helped, too. Ask me today, and I'll say Bio by a slight margin.

12. Skov

I had to take both in high school and definitely enjoyed chemistry more. I absolutely loved chemistry (probably because I had an awesome teacher). She helped me decide to be a chemical engineer. Sometimes the teacher can make or break the class

13. Hiems

In high school, I preferred chemistry over biology, mainly because my chemistry teacher was better at teaching. And I actually understood the material - both the math and the concepts.

In college, I preferred organic chemistry over general biology and general chemistry because the mechanisms for orgo (Sn1, Sn2, E1, E2, etc) were fun to do.

I've forgotten a lot of the material though for both chemistry classes though because now, a lot of my classes I am taking are biology based, e.g. physiology, biochemistry, immunology. The material is really interesting but it's just so much information to process >_<

14. Oddish

Oddish Guest

As a microbiology major, I'm inclined to say biology, but I really like both. I'm not nearly as skilled in chemistry, and I've had a lot of difficultly with organic (though it's taught me to draw polygons better.)

I'll have to say biology.

15. Ridiculous

Biology! My school teacher was vile however so I hated the class.

Physics is better than both though!

16. savannah99

I took both in high school plus a course in chemistry in college. I love chemistry, I think it's incredible. For me, biology pales in comparison because biology studies life, but life only comprises an unfathomably small fraction of what makes up the matter that we are able to recognize. Chemistry studies the things that make up literally everything in the universe, including but not limited to life.

Plus chemistry is big in astronomy and geology and I LOVE those fields.

17. Ridiculous

[​IMG]
    xkcd: Purity

18. Eevar

Of those 2, I prefer Chemistry. Physics was my favourite at school though, got an A in that. (B in chemistry, and C in biology).

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "I love both equally."

Although "love" is a stronger word than I'd use... "Like" or "tolerate" would be more accurate...

But that was based on my high school experience.

The best science class I ever took was 8th grade general science, which covered physics, chemistry, and biology. The teacher was fabulous--indeed, his name came up on a Facebook page dedicated to remembering my junior high,. There were a ton comments about how he was such a great teacher, and at least one person attributed his life path to this teacher...

20. Tim

Tim

I only had Biology in High School. xD I've always been fascinated by Chemistry though.

I had Biology AP my Freshman Year. The only AP class the school let me take. I felt no challenge in the classes I was given, so I never did homework, so I barely ever got higher than Ds or Fs, which in turn disqualified me from taking Chemistry in later years.

Then, just to prove the jackasses in the counseling department wrong, I purposely motivated myself to prove I know what the hell I'm doing and the classes bored me my senior year. Got the honor roll without even trying, lol. All my teachers and the counselors all asked me how the hell I did it.

It's like, maybe if you would have listened to me 3 years ago when I told you I wasn't being challenged, and you refused to put me into AP classes because they were full, then maybe I'd be one of your better students, even with all my absences. (I was sick 3-4 days a week)

But no, instead, you took a straight A+ student, who was only behind the top 3 GPAs in the middle school by like .1-.3 and that's because they had an extra credit class my family couldn't afford (not to mention my dad passed away that year and my grades didn't suffer, despite being thrown into a depression), and turned him into a D and F student who hated school.

And now I went off track. Lol. I like the idea behind Chemistry, but never took it. The only part of Biology I ever liked was the botany portion, which is the only time I ever felt motivated to do work in the class. My biology teacher got pissed at me, because I suddenly started getting A+s on all of his assignments and he accused me of cheating, lol.

So, just based on "practice," biology, as I never took Chemistry. But I think I'd like Chemistry.

I had a botany class my sophomore year, but I had to drop it because of my class schedule. It was impossible for any student, apart from someone on track who ran full speed, to reach the room my 4th period class was in from where the 3rd period botany class was. It was a good 10-15 minute walk, and wee were only given 3 minutes to walk to the next class. The other 2 people who were in good shape compared to me also had to drop the class for the same reason. Arriving 7-12 minutes late did not end well in Journalism.

#20 Tim, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013