1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with LGBT Movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ninerw, Nov 28, 2013.

1. staychill

staychill Guest

They usually seem really corny and fake. But then again, most romantic films don't exactly appeal to me.

2. sammy1

The movies I have watched that are considered LGBT were all SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fake and I HATED Them! So far I havnt been able to find a relatable or slightly realistic LGBT movie :frowning2: anyone have any suggestions for me?

3. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's an older movie that came out when I was a teenager and not allowed to watch those kinds of movies, "But I'm a cheerleader", about conversion therapy. I got to see it when I went to college. My former same sex partner thought it was funny, but she never knew anyone who had conversion therapy forced on them. I however had a hard time seeing the humor in most of it, because my first same sex girlfriend wanted me to come out of the closet with her, and I refused. We broke up and she came out with another girl. My own mother suggested to her parents to send her to a conversion therapy camp. When she came home she told me what went on there, and it wasn't funny at all. It was almost like a prison environment, and you couldn't just decide to leave without claiming you were "cured". The parents spent a lot of money, and expected results.

They were constantly watched, and the front gate had a fence with barb wire, "for their protection" to "keep them safe from people" They were even told not to go out in the woods alone, due to bears.

There was no simulated hetro sex with body suits, but one of the male "therapists" privately told her the reason she didn't like teenage boys was because she needed to be with a real man first. And of course he could help her out with that, if she was nice to him. She asked him wasn't that a sin, fornication before marriage, and he said yes, but that was a lessor sin than being gay.
    This was the same guy that told another girl that it was better to die a hetrosexual than live as a lesbian, because the straight soul will go to heaven, and the lesbian will burn in hell forever. After that, she decided she'd fake being cured to the other therapists just to get the hell out of there.

4. biggayguy

What?! You don't like Torch Song Trilogy? It's practically autobiographical for Harvey Feirstein.

#24 biggayguy, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see much depth and development in either the sexual chemistry or the deep feelings in most mainstream box office releases. I've probably seen 5 mainstream gay themed movies, and a few others with subplots. What I do see, instead, is the strife the protagonists go through, often on a societal level, or in the maneuvering they have to make around their personal circumstances.

If you take "Making Love" and "Brokeback Mountain," there is a parallel: one in the pairing seems to want to be in an exclusive relationship and settle down ... and the other still has a streak that will sow more oats. And the geographic settings were vastly different. Ah, yes, the world is a village.

6. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    From a non-biased film critic point of view, the ones that are romantic are your basic romance movies just with a forbidden love feel to it that basically is overplayed and overused, they just seem so much similar; nothing really special about them.

As for other LGBT films that are NOT Romantic, they are all the same, person struggles with the opposite sex, realizes they might be homosexual, tries to deny it, commits suicide, people remember and speak about the person in their honor. Predictable and makes it seem like homosexuals are not people and their sexuality is all they are and ever will be; something that LGBT have tried to put a stop to!

7. ninerw

But what about the emotional context? How do you feel after watching these movies? Do ever find yourself pining for something like them even though it's not Happily Ever After, but more like Happy For Now?

I guess that's where I am coming from. Rarely have I seen a gay movie that hasn't made me wish I was somewhat a part of it. There are a few out there that I hate because of the cheapness and trashyness, but in reality the good/decent ones are always super sentimental. For a not-out guy like me, I find that to be the most troubling aspect of LGBT movies. They always pull on some chord and it is always the same chord. It's far different from your average Hollywood, mainstream film.

8. AAASAS

There's none I have enjoyed watching.

Two hot guys fall in love, or one hot guy is a hooker, it's all the same.

9. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Pretty much all LGBT movies (and books) are derivative, cringe-worthy gay versions of the Lifetime "movie of the week," with little aesthetic value or ambition. Their issue is that they focus too much on particular aspects of gay life, instead trying to explore more universal themes from a gay perspective (which could even make them more appealing to non-gay audiences). Even looking at something like Weekend, which I thought was OK upon my first viewing (but I now realize it is basically two gay guys fucking, snorting drugs and complaining about how hard it is to be gay), it pales so much in comparison to the Before series, which it tries to rip off and which is a much more insightful exploration into human romantic relationships.

As many here have already mentioned, the whole forbidden love story and self discovery is way overused in LGBT cinema. They also tend too have way too many sex scenes, and sex scenes only really work in ridiculous things like Basic Instinct and Wild Things. But in most movies, especially those that try to be more "serious," sex scenes are just awkward and gratuitous (one reason why I'm dreading watching Blue Is the Warmest Colour).

Brokeback Mountain turned out OK largely due to the talent behind it, but the story isn't that special. Angels in America (both the play and the TV miniseries) is probably the best LGBT-themed fiction product out there, and it's no surprise that Harold Bloom included the play in his Western Canon, among the greatest works of literature ever created (I think there were also some older books by gay European authors on there too).

10. Mrtambourineman

Beautiful thing had a happy ending if I remembered rightly. I just watched monster pies which was depressing. I really liked Latter Days which had a kind of happy ending. I wish in geography club, they had ended up together. I hate the ones where theyre in love but one of them tries to kill himself or they dont end up together..so sad.