1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT from another countries!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by swifter, Aug 12, 2013.

1. swifter

swifter Guest

Hello! i was wondering if there are any other guys that live/were born in different countries, i grew up in a hispanic country and then moved to sweet and cold like ice cream Canada :3. i speak spanish though i confuse some words with english ;-; i can't say i'm proud of my country because of how its people are, and it ain't safe for LGBTs to be there at the moment :/ . since i came to Canada i have only met a gay grown man who is from my country and he is pretty masculine (and kind of hot!) i don't talk to him that often because my parents are... well... homophobes

But i find it hurting how other LGBT members that were born in here can treat you and the ones i met the time i was in the USA, sure they are nice to me but they all see me as an aphrodisiac or another fetish, rather than just another person...

well let us begin!(&&&)

Now it's time for me to be the detective xD! where are you from? did you grow up there? are you proud of it? do you speak/know the language? is it legal/safe to be LGBT? have you met another LGBT from that country?

P.S: i am not and was not illegally living here! and yes i am a citizen! i got my citizenship last year thanks to mah daddeh x3!

2. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ... No one would imply you are illigaly in Canada,its almost impossible to be illegaly in Canada,and if you are,you will be deported,with respect of some sort.

3. Martjain

Argentina! I live here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Well, talking about rights, it's very gay friendly fortunately. Though some people are not quite there yet. There is much ignorance about the subject :frowning2: But in general, after you come out to them, they turn more and more supportive :slight_smile: I haven't met any LGBT person IRL, but I found one here on EC :grin:
    And yes, I speak the language obviously cause I live here hehe :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. FucSoc

FucSoc Guest

I don't want to say where I come from, but yea I grew up there, know the language and sorta proud of it.. It's totally fine to be LGBT, although there is homophobia, and I have met another LGBT

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm from Texas, grew up in Texas, it's not safe in certain parts I'd imagine but the part where I am is very LGBT friendly so I like it very much. I've met several people that are LGBT.

P.S I know you said country and I named a state, but if you lived in Texas you'd know why I did that.

6. Hexagon

Why would I care about your citizenship status?

Anyway, I'm in the uk. Used to live in spain. I can say without a doubt that the uk is a xenophobic racist shithole.

7. Bowtiesandstuff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Born in China live in Australia. I'm pretty sure in most parts of China if you were gay you would probably get disowned and would be a disgrace to the whole family and your ancestors. Australia is awesome.

8. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, has the UK given you that impression? I've lived here all my life and apart from the occasional asshole, I haven't seen much racism. But that might be because I not from a another country hence may be unable to see it.

9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

And I was half considering moving there. :\

Never lived outside of US myself, which isn't much better much as we pretend otherwise.

10. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rêves de New York et des blazers...
    I don't quite agree with what Hexagon said, tbh. But then again, it may be just the part of the UK that I live in where I'm lucky that I don't see much racism/xenophobia. Definitely heard it though, although more from older people. I would say actually that Spain have a bigger problem with racism than Britain does, especially regarding black football players and chants and whatever. It's probably a matter of where you go in Britain, and I don't doubt for one second that there are xenophobic areas of the UK (and I can think of a few places off the top of my head). And there is, admittedly, the rise of the UK Independence Party, which basically wants us out of the EU, and will no doubt promote British workers, British jobs crap. But to say the whole of the UK is xenophobic and crap is a bit of an unfair generalisation -.-

11. Hexagon

In response to the posters who commented on my post, have you heard the government recently? Not Byron, since your not privy to our tv. But seriously? Those goddamn 'go home vans'? Or the idiot politicians making stupid claims about shops to satisfy the raging masses who seem to be under the impression that everyone from eastern europe is demon spawn.

12. Hun

Hun

I was born in Miskolc in Hungary, but I moved to America at a very young age.

13. SchwulIstCool

And they're knobhead politicians? Judging an entire country by the vitriolic bollocks they spew is a little bit generalising.

14. Hexagon

They wouldn't do it if the public weren't asking for it. They're trying to fuel a fire, and they wouldn't be able to if there wasn't anything there already.

15. timo

First things first:
    No one is illegal, it's insane that some have more privilege than others to live in certain places. The earth belongs to everyone.

I'm in the Netherlands. On the surface it seems like a tolerant country but when you start digging into people's opinions you'll find out it's not all roses. And while a lot of people are accepting of LGBT there's still a lot of ignorance and hate, mostly in rural areas.

16. SchwulIstCool

I still think it unjust that the entire country's being written off here as a massive no-go area for foreign people. Let's at least cut some of us a little bit of slack. 15 years ago, when Section 28 was still in force, and was not repealed by the Major government, does that mean that the entire country thought LGBTs were an abomination? The situation was not peaches and cream for gay people in the UK, admittedly, but I'm fairly sure the entire country wasn't in agreement with the law.

17. Sayu

I don't want to say where I'm from specifically, but well, it's a Central European country and yeah, I've been born here, can speak my native language (which is not English) and being LGBT is safe, but there are basically no pro-LGBT rights or laws, so you can't marry a same-sex person or adopt a child with them. Nothing like that, unfortunately.

18. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I'm from Dominican Republic. We are not the most homophobic or transphobic country, or at least not the most violently homophobic or transphobic, i have seen flamboyant LGTB people in the street walking but usually they only get nasty jokes or comments.

But still quite homophobic on verbal and legal and on opinion and media portrayal level, and there have been some cases of hate crimes.

In the capital city of this country the fiscal have closed many gay bars and supressed many small LGTB reunions. At the gay pride of last year some policemen stopped parade and said he would only let it continue if they give him the flag (a rainbow version of our national flag).

We also have this "lovely" outspoken cardenal: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/curre...dor-faggot;-now-caught-pedophile-scandal.html

The LGTB here is kind of descreet, i have only found LGTB people after i made friends with a bisexual friend as her know most of them at our college. But outside there people are fully in the closet usually.

Information wise our country is bad in the LGTB Topic, most people have strong stereotypes toward LGTB. For example,they hold the belief that all gay guys are effeminate, and most people including LGB are oblivious regarding transgender people, actually i probably know more than the friend i mentioned before, a few months ago i found out that she didnt knew that a MTF can be attracted to women, hell, she doesnt probably know entirely what MtF means or what is dysphoria.

And that my friends is the current state of my country regarding LGTB: desinformed outside LGTB and even inside, full of stereotypes, super homophobic cardinal, no civil union, a desorganized LGTB community and no strong institution to help them.(actually all institutions here n any possible areas are very blah).

Not the worst, but certainly not the best in a million year.

But i think we have hope of one day improving in this regard. I'm intending to create a little LGTB group for debating, talking, informing and at some point doing activism( i'm just a student, so i cannot create a big organization.not even a medium sized one).

Let se what happens.

#18 Straight ally, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  19. Hexagon

I understand your point, and I'm not suggesting that a single law reflects the opinions of every single person in a country. I'm just saying that the amount of hatred I can sense for those who weren't born in the uk sickens me. Friends of mine have described some of their experiences with people hating them and treating them unfairly just because they come from another country, and you should hear the way my own family talks. As I said above, there is a lot of hatred, and politicians use it. Not to mention the fact that the news won't present any alternate viewpoint (not suggesting that doesn't mean there is one). It basically contributes to absolutely everything you hear on the subject of immigration being overwhelmingly hostile and hate-filled.

20. RebelD

I have never been outside of Africa before so I can't really compare South Africa with the rest of the world, but I guess it depends on the part of SA you're in (unfortunately I live in a more conservative area). For the most part however people just leave you alone. I haven't heard of many cases of violence against a LGBT person. I think people would much rather just ignore or deny it here.