1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by brightside80, Feb 14, 2013.

1. brightside80

This whole coming out thing is so hard. I do appreciate recently how Hollywood (yes I know...bad resource for looking up to.. or is it?) has had a lot more people who have come out kinda after the fact. Like, "obviously I am."

Anyways, I don't really have a huge support so I can't come out just yet, but know that I want to this year. It's gonna be nerve wracking and can't believe this.

I feel like I've dug my own closet space, and to be honest in the past I used to be the one telling people that being gay was wrong. And, here I am. I wouldn't say I am gay, but I am for sure bi. And yah... well, you know the saying. What goes around, comes around! :slight_smile:

I'm worried about how people will react...so nerve wracking to think about things and not know outcomes.

My family is from a very conservative background and usually talk about gay/bi/lesbian/transgender people in a very horrible manner. "I wouldn't vote for someone gay. I can't trust them." etc. So... yah! That's gonna be hard.

How did you find people you could trust? How did you know who the first person to tell was? What do you wish you knew about the coming out process? What do you do when people you love and care about reject you? Who were you surprised by?

2. Lewis

I always thought coming out would be so structured, but for me it has been quite the opposite. They've all happened pretty spontaneously.

You can never be sure how people react, just be sure that it's somebody you trust. Those who you'd least expect to be accepting will probably surprise you too. Me and my best friend cried, hugged and he has been amazing. And that is somebody that once told me a few years back that gay marriage is wrong and that he didn't like gay people. Now that he knows a few, he has eaten those words!

I know how you feel, I have to come out to my parents this year. It's now or never. It makes me feel sick it my stomach, but I have to realise the outcome will be the same regardless of when. If I can do it, so can you.

3. Jeff

Yes I agree. The hardest part for me coming out to anyone is that you not just disclose that you like men, or the same sex. But you often are admitting that you have been in the past a total LIAR!!!

If you have been in the closet, the longer you were there, and the more people you put up the front to, the bigger LIAR you appear to be.

So it is not as simply saying that yes, I am a smart creative gay man, and move along now. It is saying much of what I presented about my personal life is a fraud.

This is what I think is hard. Did any of my old girl friends mean anything to me sexually? NOT very much.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're right about the difficulty of dealing with past lies. It was a big factor in my decision to come out, I just couldn't do it anymore, and it has cost me too much....I have been in the closet a very long time and I have broken more than a few women's hearts, not because I set out to do so, but because I lied to myself...

All I can ask is forgiveness and decide that every past encounter had its purpose, if only to serve as a hard lesson on the need for honesty.

5. brightside80

Jeff --> That's the thing though. Yes you have been lying about one particular part of your life, but all the other parts of who you are, are similar. Some will definitely change, but whether I like a particular team (Go Leafs!) or a book or activity with a friend, doesn't depend on whether one is gay or bi and have been in the closet.

I don't know. I wouldn't say my life is a fraud, I would say that a very important part of who I am I have not been able to share. And yah, that is fraudulent, but there is a difference between an area of my life being fraudulent or or my whole life.

Lewissss- Thanks. Yes, I know some people will surprise me. One of my closest friends, her closest friends happen to be gay. I keep wanting to say to her, there is alot of commonalities with your close friends eh?

greatwhale --> YES! It's so hard to forgive ourselves sometimes right? But, if I don't forgive myself, how will anyone be able to forgive me for my past? Anyways, my hope is that people will be willing to learn from this.

Do you think there are ever points in life where it actually is better to stay in the closet rather than come out?

6. bambam07

My first deliberate coming out was to my best friend because I knew he wasn't even slightly religious and he was good friends with a gay guy. Then I had a few opportune moments where it just sort of spilled out.

Before I told my parents I was determined to be prepared so I had this entire backup plan like, where I would live if they kicked me, how I would defend myself if they tried to hurt me, what I would say if they tried to say I wasn't: the whole thing. Looking back, it was an awful plan (hey, I was 14) but I'm glad I was trying to mentally prepare myself for the worst and hoping for the best. My parents are super christian and homophobic, btw. They just sorta told me I was going to hell and that I wouldn't be dating or expressing my gay-ness in their house. I was like "Heck yeah, I don't have to live on the streets!"

People are going to be mean, but they are all scrubs anyway. What I'm trying to say is, it might be upsetting when people reject you or are mean about it, but you'll realize that all your true friends will stick by you and help you get through it.

By the way: You don't actually have to come out. You can just start assuming everyone knows and when they hear you say something about men and ask you, you can be all "Yeah! You didn't know?" I didn't know that at first XD

If you don't feel like you're safe, or you have no plan/place to go, seriously think about it before you come out.

7. Fintan

I'm glad you posted here Brightside80, great first step! :slight_smile:

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was at a Christmas works party & I had been knocking a few beers back, I was sitting next to a couple of work colleagues who just happened to be a Lesbian couple & the one girl, I got on quite well with, we started talking & I just said " I have got something to tell you, I am Gay" she was really happy for me & said "that another friend of mine, who was at the party & who thought the world of me, that I should tell her" I went & found her & took her outside, I told her that I was Gay & she started crying & hugged me, she was so happy that I told her, I guess you will know when it feels right, my family is another matter, that will be hard :beer:

9. PeteNJ

Welcome to EC!

And you do get the irony, since you dug yourself into the closet, no one but you can get you out :icon_wink Though I promise that all of us here on EC will do our best to support you in coming out, when you want, how you want. :thumbsup:

10. brightside80

Thanks people for your posts!

Bam...so true that's a good idea... assuming that they know and just kinda matter of factly going about it. I hate the drama of it being this super big moment (which it is) but it makes me more anxious to think about it.

haha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: FIN :slight_smile: thanks. For....well alot more than you realize.

Dublin --> How long ago did you come out to them? Family is always another matter compared to friends right? LOL..... So proud of you though for knowing the right time.

Pete --> Yah. Irony of ironies... and thanks :slight_smile:

11. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    about 3 years ago now, family expect too much of you & are much too important to lose, would be much more easier if our parents gave us a pep talk as kids & said "if you ever came to me & said "I am Gay" then that would be Ok, as you are still my child & I will always love you no matter what (&&&) & thank you :icon_bigg

12. brightside80

WOW... does your family suspect at all? Have they said anything to you at all?

Yes... it's so hard right to have to worry about family? Wish they did do that.... that should be in a new parents manual! :slight_smile:

13. MixedNutz

Coming out is def the hardest things we have to do. No matter how well we think we know people, we can never be 100% sure of the reaction we will get. Often it means feeling like we are somewhat of a liar, and sometimes we feel like a let down to our parents. Like it was told to me many times and I still tell myself everyday "it's all a process".

I think one of the most important things to do in the process is building a support system. Whether that means just having someone you can completely trust, or finding a friend who is also LGBT and knows what you are going through.

That was the biggest help for me when finally telling my sister and my mom. I felt even if they had rejected me, I had other people that I knew I could turn to for support. My sister turned out to be totally cool with it and said she knew. My mom... things are still like walking on egg shells, and I haven't even approached telling my father yet. but, its all a process.

good luck, and know EC is here to help. :thumbsup:

14. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a feeling my Mom may know deep down, over the years she has made a few off the cuff remarks like "your not Gay are you" or "I thought for a moment you may be Gay" when certain situations have arisen :slight_smile:

15. brightside80

Dublin.... she has eh? How do you think she'll react?

I have a friend that once said to me, I would have invited you on our vacation...but it was just girls, and you know guys and girls shouldn't stay together in the same room... but if you were gay it woulda worked.... lol