1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mr. Ratzinger to Resign

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pret Allez, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Emberstone

the catholic church is well known and well documented for its push of 'pop out as many babies as you can' as a way to ensure that they keep their numbers up. it is to some degree the same way with the mormons also; big families apperently 'pleases the Lord'.

Contraception threatens the churches power and wealth, which for the vatican, has been the main concern for nearly two thousand years.

2. Kay

Kay Guest

And they did not make the change and if anything they are more strict now than before. You only addressed one issue of all I posted. I can't help but notice this.

---------- Post added 12th Feb 2013 at 10:42 PM ----------

I agree and wealth has something to do with celibate priests. If they had a family they would require more money and so you say Jesus or one of his followers said this and you save the church a bundle. Eastern Orthodox has married priests and this works for them. Did god not tell the mas well. or any of the other churches as well.?

3. Well...if no one else is willing...I guess I'll do it.

4. Fintan

Not speaking as a Roman Catholic; but it seems that we have had two relatively conservative popes in a row so anyone born since the 1970s see the Church in a pretty conservative way.

If you look at Pope John XXIII (1958-1963), you can't say the same thing. In fact he was one of the most liberal popes in history and was known as "Good Pope John" and "the most beloved Pope in history."

I think this election could go either way. And I -really- hope the next pope calls an Ecumenical Council where the Church is forced to deal with such things as contraceptives, homosexuality & the abuse within the Church. Ecumenical Councils are where the real issues are debated (and there hasn't been one since the 1960s), rarely are they changed by a single Pope.

#24 Fintan, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  5. Salazar

Unfortunately, there's only one way it could go. There is no such thing as a liberal bishop in the Catholic Church, let alone cardinal! When someone expresses views contrary to those of the church, they cannot be made bishops or anything higher unless they recant their statement.

6. Fintan

That's what they said before the last Liberal Pope was elected.

7. Eric

In the Catholic church's case, the term 'liberal' is meant pretty loosely. Liberals within the church are considered conservative by any other measure. Paul VI and John Paul I, for example, were liberal reformists within the context of the church but they were both opposed to any form of birth control. It's entirely possible that a liberal pope will be elected, but he wouldn't be liberal by our standards.

8. Quaiv

True. It also allows women to have a sexual life without stressing every single minute over whether or not they are pregnant, i.e. contraception makes them more independent. And the Catholic Church doesn't like the idea of women being independent and making their own choices. Fortunately, a lot of Catholics don't agree with that stance.

And yeah, the next pope will probably be just as conservative as Benedict XVI. Or if he actually allows (no, not 'supports', 'allows') the use of condoms, this won't change their ideas on gay people or the role of women.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A Canadian is a possibility. Also someone from Nigeria and someone from Ghana are the other two frontrunners.