Pact for Attending LGBT Meetings

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by castle walls, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Linguistic_Geek

I've been trying to go the the LGBT centre on campus for....oh years now. Maybe this is just the kick in the butt that I need. I looked on their website and it has the hours they are open posted, but nothing about meetings yet. But at least they are updating their website this year. :slight_smile:

2. justjoshoh

For middle or high schools, if you are not able to find the GSA for your school, check the GLSEN website and see if there is a local chapter in your area. They might be able to tell you which person in your school, if any, is the adviser for the group. If you can't find a GSA in college, the student activities director might be the best source to tell you if there is a group on campus.

I will say it took me awhile to get to the point that I was willing to go to a meeting. I wasn't really out to myself. As a freshman in college, I started out the year at the activities fair, where all of the campus groups had displays. I took a rainbow ribbon and placed it on my bag that I would carry the entire year. It wasn't until midyear in my junior year that I actually got the courage (thanks to a friend prodding me to go) to attend the GSA meeting. Even at that point, I had slipped backed into the closet and was going as an ally and told myself it was only so I could network with the group, as I was a member of another campus organization.

It was a few meetings, before I would switch my mindset and identified as gay. I was over come with emotion, being anxious and excited. The group, of course, was very accepting as were my friends that I disclosed to.

Now, about 10 years since I've graduated from college, I attend LGBT group meetings all of the time. I have built a foundation of myself based partially on my identity. I am dedicated to the LGBT community and it has become a part of my work and volunteer efforts. I am now the proud President of the local LGBT Center, I have volunteered as a board member of our area's Pride, and my job involves HIV prevention efforts for men who have sex with men.

I encourage everyone to take that initial step. As someone above posted, we have all been there before. I wouldn't trade my experiences in life for anything, but I regret not making the effort to embrace the true me at an earlier point. Learn from my mistakes, it is easier than learning from your own.

3. castle walls

I'm glad to hear that! Let us know how it goes!

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been considering going to LGBT events for years as well. I'm finally going to do it next week. I'm hoping that this pact will encourage more people (myself included) to attend their local LGBT meeting. Let us know if you end up going to a meeting

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! It really helps a lot to hear from people that have already been. The encouragement and advice that you gave is appreciated!

4. BudderMC

Apparently my meeting is tonight :eek:

Nervous, but excited! Now if only I can drag myself over to the building...

5. madanesor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah my meeting is tonight too. Im actually also in Ontario. Wonder if it's the same school lol

6. BornAnew

Best of luck guyss!! You will survive!

7. castle walls

BudderMC and madanesor, you guys can do it! Let us know how it goes

8. BudderMC

Funny you mention that, one of my fears is that I'm going to see someone from my classes or something. Not that there's anything I need to be scared of if I'm "comfortable" with myself, but it's still unnerving. I think even if I did it might be nice to know someone else who's in the same boat.

3 hours! D:

9. BudderMC

Well, I went. Dunno if I liked it, really. I think part of what threw me off was that the majority of people there were first-years... so I felt way older than them to begin with. The way they facilitate the meetings is kind of whatever people feel like talking about, so naturally convo turned to a lot of "how was your frosh week" and "initial feelings of being LGBT on campus", things that I can't as easily answer since I'm older than they are.

I think I'll keep going for a couple of weeks and see if things turn around, but otherwise I'll pass.

I am glad I went though, it certainly wasn't a bad experience, just not as rewarding as I was expecting.

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

You went and that's what matters! :grin:

My only advice is to get to know other people that sit next to you. A lot of GSAs aren't run "properly" so its almost up to you to make the experience what you will.

In the other hand, if you feel like a well-run GSA is an necessary resource for other people, then why not step up and help it improve?

But yay! :grin:

11. BudderMC

Yeah, I am proud of myself on some small level that I actually went. Didn't think I'd ever hit this point, so progress is progress. Thanks :slight_smile:

I think part of it too was that I showed up not late, but later than everyone else, so I was sitting sort of out of the "main" group of people there, because there simply wasn't enough space. I'll try and be there earlier and get people to flock around me, rather than awkwardly being off to the side.

I am going to ask a friend of mine how I can get involved beyond these meetings (they've only got these ones, and they're only for people coming out/newly out), because this is really the only connection to the LGBT community I've got and I don't want to give up on it quite yet. And she's one of the execs of the centre, so she should be able to find something for me :thumbsup:

12. J Snow

Well, I'm already going to two transgender groups a week, but I just wanted to pop in and express that I love this idea. Really feeling immersed in the community has helped me a ton and I want other people here to experience that feeling too :3

13. castle walls

I agree with TheEdend. The fact that you went is awesome. I also think it's great that you're trying to get involved and do something that suits you

My meeting is tonight. I'm nervous but I'm going to go

14. suninthesky

An LGBT youth group meets on Thursdays. I guess that'd be today. *posts*

Nervousss.

15. BornAnew

Best of luck sunintehsky!

16. BudderMC

You can do it! :thumbsup:

17. suninthesky

I went!! It was really fun. I was the only one in college, but since I'm not out and they are, I felt younger in a sense. It was really neat. The mentor out of the blue gave me contact info for the group at my college.. so now I gotta get up courage for that. It's going to be harder because I might know people there, and there might not be very many girls. But it's a start! Thanks for the encouragement guys. =]

18. Defiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in. The group at the university I'm going to has the most funding from any society and is very prominent. I've decided to go :wink:

19. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That is really awesome to hear! :grin: Let us know when you go to your uni's group!

Hell yeah :thumbsup:

20. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm gonna try to muster up the courage to go to my school's GSA today. I hate not knowing what to expect. So nervous! :eusa_sick