Opinions on plastic surgery

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bree, Aug 22, 2012.

?

What do you think about cosmetic surgery?

1. Absolutely wrong.

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. Absolutely wrong, unless there's some kind of serious defect to correct.

18 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. Not sure how I feel about it.

13 vote(s)
    11.0%
  4. Would consider it/have gotten it, but would feel ashamed.

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Don't have any problem with it.

41 vote(s)
    34.7%
  6. Would/have gotten it, not ashamed.

21 vote(s)
    17.8%
  7. Other.

14 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. MisterTinkles

I wish I could AFFORD plastic surgery!!!!

Not that I want to look like I'm 18 again or anything, I just would like to get "smoothed out" and a lot of fat sucked out, and some saggy skin taken off.

2. QuixoticSJ

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think that everyone should be free to pursue whatever makes them happy.

I think that taking a hot knife to your flesh because you don't like your appearance is concerning psychologically, but I support everyone's choice to do it.

I think that many people who do so look unnatural and sometimes freakish and it disturbs me viscerally, but I support everyone's choice to do it.

That is what I think.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My grandmas sister had a facelift and looks at least 10 years younger my dads sister also had a boob job. I don't have a problem with plastic surgery although I doubt I will ever get it.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whatever brings you happiness, go for it. If you have something like a condition like body dyspmorphia though, opt for therapy to get to the root of your issues. It's a money saver and will do better things for you at the end of the day.

5. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Personally, I probably wouldn't ever get plastic surgery because I wouldn't want to alter my natural appearance drastically. It took me years to get into wearing makeup because I didn't like not looking like myself.
    That being said, it's really a personal decision and if a person wants to change their appearance for whatever reason, then why not? If that's just who you are, then awesome.

6. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Personally I'm not a fan of plastic surgery unless it is medically necessary, like in the case of reconstructive surgery, or psychologically necessary, like in the case of additional gender reassignment surgeries.

Surgery for a purely cosmetic purpose I could only understand if it is to change something that truly makes you unhappy and impacts on your life. When it's just for vanity or to please someone else like a partner, then I don't agree with it.

I remember the example of a girl in the UK who managed to get a breast augmentation paid for by the NHS so that she could become a glamour model. It's an abuse of the system.

Plastic surgery to become "perfect" or get the "ideal" body shape is also a dangerous concept. Perfection can never be really achieved and the surgery becomes a plaster to cover the problem rather than fixing the root of the issue. That's why so many people get hooked on surgery trying to achieve the perfect look and never succeeding. This then leads them to try unregulated and illegal procedures as well as cheaper procedures that lead to deformities, infections and sometimes death.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Color me "would/have gotten it, not ashamed."

Plastic surgery rocks. Well, not quite.

I've mentioned it before. I've had a procedure done. I had my nose reshaped toward the beginning of college. It made a difference in my appearance, in my disposition, and it was one less thing to dwell on. I had broken it at about age 14. I remember that incident and the discoloration that followed. I don't know how my nose in about my 18th year was affected by genetics and by that fracture, since I'm sure it was affected by both. I know that the two surgeons I consulted said I had a deviated septum, and one used the words "a markedly deviated septum." Insurance paid for it. After I got this procedure done and it healed, I no longer slept with my mouth open and drooled on my pillow. I have since slept with my mouth closed and my pillows have been dry in the morning. I also was one of the few that came up on a complication, which are in the 2% to 5% range. Of those, the most common one in rhinoplasty is called supratip swelling and that's what I had. It wasn't that bad, and they injected some anti-inflammatory agents for it to subside. If this complication hadn't occurred, I would have been even happier with the result.

I see nothing wrong with it. Even before I was a candidate for a procedure because I didn't need one at that point, I never judged people who chose plastic surgery. I though that if it made them look better and that's what they wanted, then they should go for it. Part of it is cultural and where you grew up. It's far more common in large metropolitan areas.

Many parents are the ones who opt for it for their children. This is because their child is being taunted about a facial feature. The most common ones are protruding ears, a weak chin, and a prominent nose. Surgeons will operate on these areas without much hesitation, providing the child is also on board. What they find is that they go back to school or move on in life, no one notices that there has been a change because it's subtle, and their self esteem improves. One of my childhood friends got treated to a nose job and chin augmentation between senior year of high school and college. His parents are the ones who pushed for it. His parents were ass holes and so is he. I couldn't even tell he had anything done because it was subtle. When I was told, then I noticed it. Realistically, he could have just gone for the chin augmentation. His nose wasn't that bad, in my opinion and I didn't like the too concave result he got.

Some people look great with the smaller noses surgery can get them, or the smaller nose they already have because the smaller nose is in their DNA ... like this smokin' jazz musician:

http://cdn.iofferphoto.com/img/item/203/750/836/o_lp-david-sanborn-3ee9e.jpg

Then, in my opinion, some people look great with the more prominent noses they have and they should NOT get them fixed. Here's an actor who is smokin', including his nose.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/12930583/Scott+Bakula+Scott28nureinfan29051.jpg

And you can't argue that Richard Gere isn't hot ... his nose works well on him:

http://img.all-celebrity-photos.com/photos/richard-gere/Richard-Gere-42.jpg

The situations in which I'm skeptical of plastic surgery is when someone wants to look like someone else, like someone famous. People have brought in photos of who they want to resemble. If they bring in a photo of how they'd like that specific feature to turn out, and it's in the ball park, that isn't so alarming. Reputable surgeons will turn some candidates down if they can't benefit from the surgery, their expectations are unrealistic, or their judgment conflicts greatly with that of the surgeon. If a guy who looks like a gladiator comes in with a strong nose and a strong jaw, and he asks for a button nose, some surgeons may not operate.

I don't have a problem with breast augmentation, either. Unfortunately, society has conditioned women to think it's important. If they want it, they should do it. If they are ambivalent or someone is pushing them, they probably should not.

If you're going to get plastic surgery, be sure to get at least 2, if not 3 opinions. It's even better when you know people who have had surgery performed on them by these surgeons. Be sure to look up credentials and all sorts of information. Read up on the procedure before going in for the consultation. They have books and articles which make it easy to understand. Prepare for it as instructed and take care of yourself after the fact as directed, by taking prophylactic antibotics (cephalexin is a common one), staying out of the sun, and avoiding trauma to the area. I went out the weekend before with friends to give the old nose a going away party! After the surgery, I stayed in bed and around the house, bandaged up and looking all black and blue, with my dog keeping me company while my parents were off at work! Friends came over the visit and we made jokes about it. You can't forget this sort of thing. Also, since I did not want general anesthesia, I faintly remember when they whacked the nose with something to break it and reset it.

I am in favor of plastic surgery and I am in favor of people getting tattoos or piercings, if that's what THEY want. I have experienced plastic surgery because I wanted to correct a facial feature. I would not choose to have tattoos or piercings. If you want to, be my guest.

As for reconstructive surgery after an accident, an injury, and other surgeries aimed at removing areas affected by cancers and growths, I am for that 120%.

Be safe, though, even with tattoos and piercings.

#67 Tightrope, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless you're disfigured in an accident or something similar, I think you'd be better off learning to accept yourself, instead of trying to slice and dice yourself to look what society and Madison Avenue tell you need to look like in order to be acceptable.

I think it's among the scariest examples of our superficial, consumption based society.

As John Hiatt said, "They got their whole life to tell you how much stuff they can sell you".

~

I also think it's a sad waste of medical resources; people suffer and die due to not having access to healthcare, while others get buffed and suctioned. It's a clear reflection of how unequal wealth has become, and with it, how variously unequal access to heath-care has become.

My advice: Instead of ( or in addition to) getting plastic surgery, consider helping somebody else out who lacks the resources for getting a surgery they actually need.

#68 HuskyPup, Apr 19, 2015
  9. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just let them do what they want...

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    HuskyPup, I took side jobs to save up the money to pay for my one procedure when I was a teenager. You had to pay up front and then wait for the insurance reimbursement. In the end, when the reimbursement check came, I think the whole thing cost me about $400. Also, my scholastic performance saw improvement after it.

In my opinion, the problem is when people become what they call "cosmetic surgery junkies." They go for procedures once a year or every couple of years. Now they are definitely caving in to Madison Avenue.

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In your case there was an accident, so I can see where this would have been helpful/necessary, and don't have a problem with such surgeries.

But when people get procedures done who are perfectly normal just to fit in to what they're told they need to look like...I find that highly disturbing. Chip summed it up really well earlier in this thread, and I find it particularly disturbing that even young teens are being targeted.

Also:

I think everyone needs to watch the Dr. Suess cartoon, 'The Sneetches', and consider the message...

#71 HuskyPup, Apr 19, 2015
  12. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    its really wrong unless your trans and want to have the desired body or you are a person who have a problem breathing with a very big nose or something is wrong with that part but other than that like just to see yourself better trust me you wont stop once you start that kind of stuff destroys the real you outside yeah maybe some people say that its who you are on the inside but once you start playing with your nature you wont stop cause you wont feel better about yourself no matter what you do if you want to feel more pretty or want people to see you as perfect start working on being proud of every inch of you and take care of yourself the natural way not by changing how big is your boobs or how your nose is shaped and wanting some role model nose or mouth there are many ways to get a makeover without messing with plastic surgery its the most expensive way to feel better about yourself and you again a very bad idea

13. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Let just say...I am completely in love with Tightrope's post! As someone with a weak chin and often drooling while sleeping (less now) I really want to have a surgery operated on me. I only have a problem with my chin, I rather love my prominent nose. It what makes me unique.

14. Joelouis

I've had eye laser treatment, does that count?

If I wanted to get cosmetic surgery, then yeah, I'll go for it.
    I'd cite the given reason on the medical form simply as "vanity". After all, the vast majority of people are vain to an extent else none of us would have a mirror in the house.

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2015 at 12:21 AM ----------

And yes, Gandalf, I agree that Tightrope's post was excellent!

15. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff

i have several stuff i want to have them "corrected" but since i cant afford one right now so i guess i'll wait until i can. (no it was not a terrible birth defect, one of them is a nose "internal" defect but super minor with just minimal implication to daily life, the rest of them i got from life style modification)

the point of plastic surgery is you have to do it for your OWN satisfaction, not your parents, not your partner/husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend, just YOU because in the end it will stuck on YOUR body

i have nothing against plastic surgery, but if you really want to get one please please please ensure your doctor's record and qualification. Some doctors kept before after pics for their track record, if your doctors have one you really should check them out especially for cosmetic maxillofacial surgeries (surgery involving face). for breasts i would recommend surgeons who have extensive experience handling reconstruction in breast cancer patient because senior resident (specializing in plastic and reconstructive surgery) in my hospital said that reconstruction in breast cancer patient is technically more demanding and require a lot of practice hour so if they can do good reconstruction in BC patient then an otherwise normal patient will be a lot easier. and again look at the track record (the before after pics)...

thats my opinion tho

16. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a personal choice. Sometimes people need it because it interferes with their daily life, for health's sake, it's completely fine. Sometimes it's for stupid reasons, but it's not my place to judge.

17. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As long as you make sure the procedure is safe an won't make you look like a melted wookie, I see no problem with it. Also, so long as you don't become addicted. (Like the girl who looks like a barbie doll) I'd be glad to get cosmetic surgery myself, even if it was just a chemical peel to clear up my skin.

As with any of these things, it's in the eye of the beholder. Cosmetic surgery isn't something you have to get, even if you agree with it. If you don't want it, don't get it.

18. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I don't care at all.

19. 404dotexe

In my opinion I'd rather have someone who didn't look perfect, but was natural (no surgery), so I personally don't like it, but if people want it, its their choice and I'm ok with it

20. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I probably will get it when I'm super old

Don't wanna be all wrinkly you know