1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgenders and Sexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LisforLisa, Jul 29, 2012.

1. LisforLisa

I was wondering if a transgender is gay and then they get a sex change. Will they still be considered gay or would they be straight? I'm also wondering if a gay person dates a trans. The trans is the same sex will the gay person still be considered gay or would they be bi?

2. Snowy

Snowy Guest

I'd say that they'd be considered straight. Once they got a sex change, well, the only difference to me is that they're now physically the sex that they really are.

As for the gay person dating a trans, if they're both guys, then he'd be gay.

Of course, I don't really have too much experience, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A trans guy who likes guys is gay, a trans guy who likes girls is straight. Same thing, a trans girl who likes girls is gay, a trans girl who likes guys is straight. Doesn't matter what, if any, hormones or surgery they've had.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Phew, okay this is a hard one to explain through text since there can be quite a bit of terminology involved. But, basically, what Maddy said.

Lets start by knowing that sexual orientation and gender identity are completely separate. That means that if you like girls right now, it doesn't matter what you do to your body, you will always like girls. As for labels, they largely depend on your gender (which is separate from your biological sex...but that's for another post xD)

As for the person dating them, they don't change at all. If I were to date a trans man, then I would still be gay since the person who I'm dating has always been a man, even before surgery. The only change is that now you and I can see it.

Did that make any sense at all? xD

Here is what people call the Genderbread person. It shows you nicely how gender identity, sexual orientation (and some other things) are separate from each other. It helped me quite a bit to understand it.
    [​IMG]

5. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @Genderbread man.. So is that saying.. I could think of myself as a woman, but still physically want to keep all my male organs? Or am I misinterpreting?

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Correct. Not every single trans person out there wants surgery, but they will still identify with the gender that they feel they are inside. Other people might also want to have the surgery, but might not have the funds to do it.

This does lead to a lot of controversy all over the place though. A lot of countries and even other trans people won't recognize someone as being "truly trans" unless they get some kind of operation.

But yes, you are correct.

7. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hm, interesting, thank you c:

8. PurpleCrab

The genderbread is really cool! And really truthful while kept simple. I like it.

That said, it's a really nice thing in theory to have everybody consider transgendered people as their aimed gender. In practice/reality though, you'll have plenty of people who won't.

Why? Because somebody needs to be very open minded to be with a transsexual person before the transition is complete (perfect) and ALWAYS consider them their aimed gender. Say, I'm transgendered with no intention of going through the whole operation, ever, so my wife only needs to be straight in theory, but in practice, it helps that she's bi. Otherwise there would be aspects of my body that would repulse her.

I hope I helped!

#8 PurpleCrab, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  9. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think 'androphilic' and 'gynephilic' are better terms to signify attraction to a specific gender, since the gender of the person with the attraction does not matter.

A lot of transsexuals are bi leaning in one direction, and after they transition they start to lean in the other direction. Lotta MtFs for instance that are mostly straight before transitioning, and mostly straight (as women, dating men) after transitioning.

10. MusicIsLife

It's pretty much been covered but yes, a transguy who likes women is straight, not gay. A trans woman who still likes women who transitions will no longer be straight but gay.

In all truth, I think of myself as gender-deviant and just "Queer" instead of gay/straight/bi/apple/cats/whatever, it's just easier for me to use an umbrella term instead of relying on such constricting labels. IMO To be trans is to want to be your desired gender, but it doesn't mean I need certain parts to feel male. Some things I really wish to change, others I don't feel that I need, and so I think a trans man viewing himself as straight is hard for me to identify with, because I don't feel like I'll ever be 100% male even if I wish i were.

...I hope that made sense.

11. Hot Pink

^ This

I'm a trans woman. I have not had any surgery, but that doesn't mean I'm not a lesbian. I'm a woman that is sexually attracted to other women. I fit the definition of a lesbian.

12. rossicacid182

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Somebody who is a trans!girl and likes boys has never been truly gay because she identifies as a girl.
    And somebody who is a trans!boy and likes girls, has never truly been lesbian because he identifies as a male.

13. Curly

Just to throw a wrench in the equation... I have come to realize that I identify as a transmale, but I identify more as lesbian.

Maybe I'm just not "trans enough"...:eusa_doh:

14. J Snow

Yes, the best explanation I've heard it that gender dysphoria can be focused on different areas. Like some trans people have a lot of dysphoria associated with their genitals where as others don't.

I for one am not sure about the genital surgery. I would like it, but on the other hand I don't really care because what's in my pants doesn't effect how feminine people will see me. My dysphoria has more to do with being viewed as female in public then what my genitals look like.

I hope that makes a little sense.

15. im not trans, but when i was younger i had really bad gender confusion. (not saying you are confused) but i can relate to an extent, i was a 'lesbian' because outside i was female bodied but inside i was male, i didnt feel comfortable saying i was straight if i didnt have the right anatomy.... hope i didnt offend you. just saying i could relate when i was younger :slight_smile:

16. GayJay

Personally i am a trans guy and identify as straight. If i were to date a man then i would be bisexual.
    And my girlfriend is bisexual but right now she is in a straight relationship.