1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time between knowing and coming out...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vernox, Jun 24, 2012.

1. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've known since sometime in my 20's (but looking back yeah there were hints even in highschool)
    Other than myself noone knows, no plans to change that.
    (although 100's of people mighta seen me at pridefest...whats another average nobody in a crowd . lol)
    (and I one time had lunch with someone from another gay forum website)

#21 SimplyJay, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  2. BajanBoy13

I was struggling with it for a year when I was so but I never had a Christian disgust that many people do so it was easier to come out to a friend a few months ago.

3. JillandJill

I'm the kind of person that had to make SURE before I told anyone. I wouldn't want to have to correct that mistake.... but it took me like 4 or 5 months to tell my best friend. Took me like ten months before I could say it out loud. I have yet to tell my parents or sister. Never really have discussed my private life with them before, why start now?

4. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I clued in very young (5-6 yo) that "things weren't quite right" (in today's view I would say just different) but didn't understand let alone accept what it was for a long time. Not a lot of examples, role models, references, information back then. Didn't have the urge to wear women's clothing so couldn't be that. Yea that's how misinformed I was at the time, combine that with very prude parents and catholic school environment. Back and forth between anger denial fear for a long long time. Telling anonymous people on chat etc doesn't really count in my view of "coming out", good rehearsal tho. About 40 years later came out to my awesome (and gay) good friend a month today. I suppose it's never too late, and never feels soon enough.

5. Philvanuirle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well... I've always been around girls all through my life since my first day of school which was Kindergarten(skipped pre-school) and I realized by elementary school, I check out boys more...., and yeah so I finally said that I was gay by 7th grade maybe or 8th(?) either one, and came out my freshmen year. So.... I never even had a guy friend until maybe 4th grade when I moved, but I didn't really tallk to him the next year, then the next one was 6th grade and he moved, and all my friends are girls x), with some boy acquaintances from athletic teams.

I had hints since I was born :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ; I can definitely say "I was Born This Way" haha x)

6. Looking back I think I knew even was very young- around 1st grade. When I was told by people around me that being gay was disgusting and wrong, I learned how to police my thoughts and tried to blend in as best as I could.

Ever since, I've been feeling like I'm constantly trying to throw people off my "trail" so that no one would suspect or find out. By having boyfriends and talking about men with my friends, I don't have to worry about anyone questioning my sexuality.

Unfortunately, by maintaining this "act", I do not feel like my friends and family truly know me because all of these years I have been trying to deceive them

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew since I was 14, but I did not start coming out until I was 18. It took me a while to come to terms with my sexuality. I then decided to wait until after I got out of high school.

8. joeyblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've known I was bi since I was very young. I've never really known what type of guy i liked until recently though. Since I have always been a private person I doubt I would have told anyone sooner even if I was completely comfortable earlier. So as far as the time period I'd say quarter of a century. Geez that makes me sound old lol

9. BudderMC

I've known since I was 12 or so, only acknowledged/came to terms with it at 19, and came out later that same year.

10. Ianthe

I was always different--but I'm different in some other ways, too, and I didn't ascribe any of my differentness to sexuality for a long time.

I really started thinking intensely about my sexuality--"questioning," I suppose--when I was 27 or 28. For at least a year in there, I was pretty much obsessed. But I didn't really reach a conclusion until I came out to my first person. I sent him a message that said something vague about me being queer, and when I got back his accepting response, that was when I knew, consciously, that I was a lesbian. (I immediately realized that I had always really known that, but had just been in denial about it.) So, I actually came out to myself slightly after coming out to someone else for the first time.

After that, it was just a few months before I was out to everyone.

11. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

It depends on how you look at it. I began questioning when I was 15 or 16 and told my mom I thought I was bi a few months later. However, I didn't tell anyone else because I wasn't at all sure. Once I finally established that I was attracted to at least one girl for sure, I started coming out to people within...well, a month of first thinking, "Is this a crush?" and within 24 hours of "Yup, that's a crush."

12. Vernox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Loving these responses!
    And wow @ those that came out in just a matter of days. I would *not* be able to do that lol

---------- Post added 24th Jun 2012 at 09:48 PM ----------

(Snyder, you should elaborate on that "two days" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tough to say. I first had inklings sometime in junior year in college, I was pretty sure senior year, and I came out right after graduation. So a year or two.

Lex

14. secretguyX

I started realizing it in April/May of 2010, and started coming out December 2011, so about a year and a half...

15. TheLilyTribe

Around the time I turned 12 I started noticing girls... And I came out to my friends when I was about 14, and then came out to my parents when I was 16.

16. Thandrami

I knew I was gay in middle school probably around 13 and didn't come out until May of this year. And you know what? Im so glad I didn't wait any longer to come out :slight_smile:

17. ryanninjasheep

Umm... to be honest about six months before...

18. manshow

manshow Guest

It depends on the person and the surrounding entirely. Someone who is open minded may admit that he is a gay much earlier then other who is a reserved or shy type. Also others would know about it based on your behavior. If you are a calm and composed person and don't flirt every men, then chances are others may not completely know about you though they may doubt a bit. If you always crave for body, then others would know it probably ahead of you :slight_smile:

19. BornAnew

I knew when I was 16 but I kept denying it & convinced myself I was bisexual till April this year when I completely "knew & accepted" I was gay. After that I came out within a few weeks to best friends.

20. ryanninjasheep

As in I came out before I knew :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: