1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roller Derby Guys & Gals?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by EmmettBlack, Feb 24, 2012.

1. EmmettBlack

Hey everyone I've only just joined an hour or so ago, massive newb; and was wondering if any of you out there are involved in Roller Derby?

I'm part of a local league that's been running for about 12 months now and had our first bout late last year, and are about to have our first home bout in 2 weeks.

Not far from us there was also a bout held recently and players on both teams were completely comprised of LGBT skaters, which was awesome!

Be rad to hear from any of you who skate/love Derby in general!

2. Aya McCabre

Hi! :smilewave
    I'm in my last week (eeeep!) of fresh meat this week, so hopefully this time next week I'll be a league member. We're a fairly new league too... we just had our second interleague bout last night.... and it was amazing. I was a penalty box timer so didn't get to see much, but the other team is much more established and has players who were on the national team.... we were expecting to lose by hundreds. We lost by fifteen. Such an awesome match....
    *snaps back to present time*
    Anyways.... that's me. NSO, part time ref, full time skater, almost fresh meat graduate. We don't have teams within our league yet, but hopefully they will be set up in a few months and I'll be on one of them. :grin:

Oh, and one of the six(?) bouts around the country yesterday was a charity bout for a queer group, so that was pretty cool.

3. EmmettBlack

Hey!
    Well congrats on being nearly done with your Freshie training! You have soooo many amazing things to look forward to! :slight_smile: Wow sounds like it would have been an awesome bout to see, especially since the other team had a leg up on experience and only loosing by 15!
    That's wicked that you're reffing too - gives you a whole new appreciation and perspective on the game and really improves your mindset when you're skating. My housemate is one of the Head Refs for our league, so that's a bonus for me haha.
    I only just finished my Green Star assessment early last year, so everything is still new for me Bouting wise.
    Oh wow I hadn't heard of that one! Seeing as you're from NZ would have been kinda hard for me to get to anyway lol!
    Do you have a Derby name yet? :

4. Aya McCabre

I do... it's not registered yet but our graduation bout is only a month away so we're submitting them to the league as soon as we graduate fresh meat. I suspect the refs will reject my number (four digits... they don't like long numbers....) but my names seems to still be free... *crosses fingers*

5. EmmettBlack

I'll have my fingers crossed for you that it stays free too!
    There's a girl who skates for Illinois Vixens in the US with the same name as me (she registered 3 days before I got to!!!) Even if it doesn't get approved in the end - Ill skate with it anyway cause the odds of us two ever bouting against one another is pretty slim!
    Our refs must hate my number because there's letters in it too haha! Ref Housemates number is Pi to 10 decimal places - if he was a derby girl we'd hate him haha!
    What kind of stuff have they got you covering training wise atm? (jumping over stuff is my fav!)

6. candyjawbreaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    LALALA 3 year veteran here!! Names Candy Jawbreaker and blocking is my life. Literally have my team is LGBTQ so roller is in my personal experience one of the most open sports. And we kick ass so it's the best.

7. Harve

I clicked on this thread because I love rollerblading and grew up an hour from the city of Derby... but what the hell is this? I guess it's an American thing? I've read the wiki page and it makes no sense.