Sleepovers make you gay.....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kylegf2011, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    88% of all statistics are made up.

Lex

2. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

i completely understand

3. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wonder if that is made up too.

But in all seriousness, I went to very few sleepovers as a kid and I'm not straight for it. I don't think this statistic is true.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No offense to your mother man...but my head just hurts painfully as how ridiculous the statement is.....

5. Foxywolf

GASP! Now I know why I'm gay! jk

6. stumble along

I mean her argument is flawed but it can't be denied that the things she is worried about do happen on occasion, though its more of an eye opener to what your orientation is and not a factor in creating it.
    Looking back on some sleepovers I've had, they didn't make me bi, its just that now that i look back at it I think 'oh, big red flag there'

Or in this case a nice rainbow colored one...

Also that fallacy she uses is called post hoc ergo Procter hoc

7. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

i never had a sleep over and i turned out allright. i turned out gay, but i turned out allright lol

8. Lemony Lime

I've slept over at a friends house, maybe twice in my life. That was in middle school. lol

9. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    wow, whats that??

10. JudgeDredd

and to think I thought the stuff I'm learning in Critical Thinking is useless :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The Post Hoc fallacy derives its name from the Latin phrase "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc." This has been traditionally interpreted as "After this, therefore because of this." This fallacy is committed when it is concluded that one event causes another simply because the proposed cause occurred before the proposed effect. More formally, the fallacy involves concluding that A causes or caused B because A occurs before B and there is not sufficient evidence to actually warrant such a claim.

11. Beachboi92

1) if sleepovers make kids gay that explains me, but it is odd considering i never had same sex interactions during any of mine

2) your mom probably knows you are gay and is just in a hardcore phase of denial

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sleepovers are about as likely to cause kids to be gay as masturbating. And btw... some kids at a middle school where I was a guidance assistant many years ago honestly believed this... that masturbating would make them gay, and they were very, very worried about it.

I pointed out to this kid that if masturbating made people gay, then every boy in the school was gay. That took him a minute to figure out and he was **shocked** that everyone else was doing what he was doing! (people were a lot less open in talking about sexual stuff back then.)

Point is... if sleepovers turned people gay, then 70%* of boys would be gay, because that's how many kids have sleepovers during childhood. That's a clearly ridiculous claim, and I'd use something like that to shut the OP's mother up.

* statistic pulled out of my ass, but probably not too far off.

13. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if this were true, what would it prove? It would prove that sexuality was more flexible than we previously thought.

So, maybe, before you do anything else, you should ask your mother what her point was. And, secondly, maybe you should ask your mother why she started thinking that way... does she have any personal experiences that would have lead her to spout such drivel? Perhaps she is, or was, curious about her sexuality or maybe she knows/knew someone who is questioning?

14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By the way, if you ever want some strongly suggestive hard-copy studies, here's a great summation of the prenatal hormone theory for homosexuality (and heterosexuality, by extension):

Minireview: Hormones and Human Sexual Orientation

And the pdf: Sign In

(Hopefully those work - I know that sometimes research databases require academic affiliation, but we'll see..)

#34 Browncoat, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  15. insidehappy

it sounds like your mom is trying to dissuade you from being gay and she feels that you are gay. it sounsd like you are not out to your mom but you defend homosexuality to her as being a normal state. therefore, there is a constant clash. MOM: homosexuality is wrong. YOU: why is it so wrong, where's the proof in that, who says...

my point is, there's not need to go back adn forth with stats with your mom, i do not think you will change her position and her belief through those things. in fact continued arguring with her over them will make her dig in her heels more adn also suspect you are gay. she does not want you to be gay so all of this is done by her to make you aware of that. if you decide to come out to her, i think she may change her mind only by the fact that she loves her son. that will take time. and until such time, she sounds like she will still hold to some of these notions she has.