1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sims 2/3?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by thiciati, Jan 8, 2012.

?

Which version of Sims do you prefer to play?

1. Sims 1

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Sims 2

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. Sims 3

43 vote(s)
    75.4%
  4. I don't play any of the Sims games.

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. AloneOutHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like Sims 3 because you can make really accurate fat people.. :grin:

2. thiciati

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hahaha, it's a great add-on, yes. XD

3. Vesper

I became obsessed with the Sims franchise in 2005, when I began playing Sims 2, and moved to Sims 3 in 2009, right when it came out. I prefer Sims 3 to Sims 2 in most ways, though there are some things from the latter that I wish they had kept in Sims 3 (e.g. genetic inheritance and babies that are not wrapped in blankets).

4. KrisBrooks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel the same way! I used to play it a lot, but now, not so much, just too busy. But whenever I get time, I can spend countless hours doing so!

5. DJT

DJT Guest

Never really played any of the other Sims games other than The Sims 3 and some expansions.

6. Just Passing

I've still got little to no interest in The Sims 3, but I loved The Sims 1 and 2, both incredible games. The Sims 1 had a better overall design for the houses and the Expansion Packs were better (although Seasons from TS2 is the best expansion pack ever), The Sims 2 looks better and is more playable, but far too easy.

7. thiciati

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How come you have such little interest in TS3?

8. Harve

The Sims 3. In French. Never in a game have I picked up so much vocabulary!

9. kem

kem

I've played all three The Sims. I like TS3 the most, because it gives more creative freedom than the Sims 1 and 2 combined. I really like being able to recolour or apply any texture to pretty much everything.

10. djstcktn326

It's funny how in real life you don't choose to be gay but in this game you do. :roflmao:

11. Vesper

True. Better yet--no one cares about whether a couple is same-sex or hetero, and any two consenting adults can marry. Sims don't care about how other Sims dress (well, as long as they're not being indecent). They have it so easy :lol:.

#31 Vesper, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  12. vyvance

I like Sims 1 the best, but its also the only one I have ever played. Makes me kind of biased on the matter though.

13. sims 3 doesnt work on my comp :frowning2:

14. thiciati

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aww, why? Not enough space?

15. Emberstone

the sims 2 wont play on my computer. its more powerful than my old one was. for some reason, it doesnt play on vista opperating systems. I would love to be able to play both, since i miss some of the older features not yet readded to thesims3.

16. thiciati

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    D: No, really? Well, aren't there mods and such for the Sims 3 that can bring back some of the 2 items? I've not looked around lately.

And on an unrelated note, I absolutely love your signature. It makes me smile every time I see it. C:

17. Vesper

As for items, many of the more popular items from Sims 2 (e.g. spiral staircases, hair meshes) were either converted by custom content creators or released by EA in stuff packs and expansion packs.

As for gameplay, third-party mods such as AwesomeMod and NRaas Mods for sure have Sims 2 aging (and may have other Sims 2 features, but I can't recall) as well as new gameplay features (or improvements on features that EA screwed up).

---------- Post added 9th Feb 2012 at 03:31 AM ----------

Major features like university and seasons are too complex for modders to tackle, especially since they'd be coding in their free time and not getting paid for it. It doesn't mean EA won't release these features in the future, since they did add back popular ones from Sims 2, such as pets and vampires.

18. Emberstone

EA has said we will get weather. apperently, they intended to add it into late night, but they decided that it would be better if weather was its own expansion pack. They did add weather into ambitions, but you need to use the fog emitter and the right codes for it, and it isnt fully developed. I think it is basically just for film effects for now.

I am hoping weather is the next expansion after showtime.

Also, I am hoping that weather will work on my computer. Pets are so screwed up on my computer, and EA has been told how to fix it, since it is a problem in their coding that throws certain video cards, including some highend new ones, in a loop, and the pets deform horribly. The game otherwise plays perfectly, but the pets are blocky and distorted in grotesque ways.

and my video card is integrated, so I cant replace it.

I have to say though, sim3 beats sims2 and sims1 in that order. The expansiveness of the sims3 was a long time coming.

19. scooby

Oops, you found my weakness. I am a Sims ADDICT.

I've played all 3, but Sims 3 wins hands down. Those Sims are truly unique; you can make them crazy, vegetarian (they get sick eating meat and have to eat more often BUT they do live longer), child-haters, loners, mooches (they can ask random passersby for money), exercise freaks, heavy sleepers, etc. Plus by playing the game and completing goals you can earn things like "steel bladder", "no jealousy" (cheat as much as you like), "long distance friendship" (your friends don't mind if you never call), etc. Clothing is free, you get 3 outfits per type (3 swimsuits, 3 pajamas, 3 special occasion suits, etc.) that you can switch out at any time and with downloadable mods and color/texture choice, you can make an infinite wardrobe. Wallpaper and carpet are free and unlimited; just click and choose the color. I usually have the carpet match the drapes (har de har har) and the wallpaper match my Sim's pajama slippers.

Plus the community ages around you, which is neat. My community has been going on for 20 generations now, and I love bringing in random NPC roommates and seeing how their family tree has sprouted. Sometimes I'll make new families that I'll never play, simply for the purpose of unleashing them into the world and getting fresh DNA into the gene pool. I always have a few celebrities in my Sims world too - so far David Tennant, P!nk, Miley Cyrus, Brad Pitt, Zachary Quinto, Audrey Hepburn, and Kevin Spacey have moved in at one time or another. (Zachary Quinto has 17 great-grandchildren.)

Burglars in your household get to be "kleptomaniacs", where they can go into any other household and steal whatever's not nailed down. They CAN get caught and they can spend time in jail. Decent instrument players can earn money just playing on the street corner, if they're good enough, and . Speaking of street corners, if you play around enough with the "mooch" characteristic you can make your own prostitution ring.

Of course Awesomemod is a necessity. I don't know how I ever played without it.

I don't like the "rabbit holes" in Sims 3, though and I wish you could run businesses the same way you could in Sims 2: Open For Business, where you could set prices, craft your own objects for sale, control employees, and design your business however you wanted. My towns were filled with bar/restaurant/club/pool/hotels, and giant toy stores. I also miss Sims 2 University.

Oh and DON'T waste your money on Sims: Medieval. I love medieval stuff and I love Sims, so I got it the first day of release and was horribly disappointed to find there were only 10 basic characteristics to choose from (and you could only choose 3), and only 6 outfits (and 4 hairstyles!) to choose from with color the only thing you can change. You can only ever control your one main character - have fun watching it sleep for 8 hours, you have to follow the story that's set out for you, you can only have 2 kids and they will never grow up past childhood. HOW can they have a Sims Medieval game without generations??!

This... this is the greatest thing I have ever read. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

#39 scooby, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  20. Just Passing

Apologies for the delay, I haven't been on for ages.

Anyway, it's just down to computer space issues really and I disliked EA's piracy protection methods at the time (don't know if they still do it), but also The Sims 3 didn't look like that much of an advancement on The Sims 2 at the time and to me, it didn't seem worth getting.

I do however plan to get it eventually. Just not today.