Trying to Sort Things Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by reov3596, Jan 2, 2012.

1. reov3596

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I may seem backwards, but everyone I know, I've come out to as gay and all of my friends think I'm the most on fire queer out there. The thing is, I don't know if I really am gay. I think I am because I'm sexually attracted to guys, but I have no guy friends. I don't really feel an emotional attraction to guys either. I feel I can connect and communicate better with girls but I'm not sure if that is just because of my being shunned by other guys because of being femininity and sexuality. Please help me sort these things out so I can be sure of what I am.

2. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok. You're sexually attracted to guys. Are you to girls?

Girls being attracted to you and your friendship circle being mostly female I think means less than you think, - in my experience women do find flamers/metrosexuals a good company, even when they REALLY prefer hairy-chested ex-army NCO types. (Some are genuinely into this look/behaviour, though.) Boys, not so much. So, naturally you'd have more and more female friends as time passes.

3. reov3596

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Definitely not attracted to girls. I just wonder what I'm to do because I want companionship when I'm older, I just don't know what gender I should live with/marry.

4. jlg65

You are the only one who knows who you are. Everyone has their own unique personality which is what makes the world so special. If you are attracted to guys physically you are probably at least bisexual. A lot of people, myself included, fall in love with a person, not a sex. Some people connect with certain genders on different levels. You may feel more comfortable around girls but find no sexual attraction. That's perfectly normal. You might feel awkward around guys but find them sexually attractive. That's also perfectly normal.
    I myself am much more comfortable around girls but have no sexual desire towards them. I freeze up around other guys but find them sexually attractive. I have pretty much no guy friends that aren't gay because I don't feel comfortable around them. I do not act feminine but that's my personality. If you are feminine that might add to your discomfort around other guys but there is nothing wrong with who you are.
    There is nothing wrong with not declaring a sexual orientation. You should just try and find a person, male or female, who you are emotionally and physically attracted to. Find what qualities in them you are attracted to and that may help you decide your sexuality. Sorry if this isn't helpful...

5. reov3596

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You actually were pretty helpful, I just don't know what to do with my life/who I should be with.

6. jlg65

Have you had a boyfriend or girlfriend?

7. reov3596

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, there aren't many gay people at my school/won't come out here, and most of them here are only interested in sex or don't like me back.

8. jlg65

Are you in hs or college?

9. reov3596

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sophomore in high school.

10. jlg65

OK :slight_smile: im a junior. it is tough. I'm call myself bi but i could just as easily be gay. i've only had girlfriends because he have zero gay guys. i know its along way off but college is a great place to find like minded people of both genders who want more than just sex. there is alot of pressure to have a definition of yourself sexually now in hs but there is no need. let it play out, even to college if you have too. there really is no rush on the situation.

11. reov3596

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you so much, you really have put my mind a lot more at ease.

12. jlg65

NP :slight_smile: it's really normal to be confused! i still am :slight_smile: you have all the time in the world to figure out who you are, not just sexually but as a person. enjoy life and have fun!

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Particularly in high school, it's not at all uncommon for gay guys to be a lot more attracted, socially, to girls. In fact, quite a few gay guys I know had nothing but female friends in their high school years, and it wasn't until they graduated and moved on to college or other more adult environments where they started to have more male friends.

That doesn't mean they didn't have the occasional boyfriend or male hookup in high school, only that the *friends* they tended to attract were female. And it doesn't make them any less gay... it just means that they (like most gay guys) would probably prefer being around girls than around straight guys at that age :slight_smile: