1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Gay Friends

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by robclem21, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Bi As A Kite

->

2. Bassbolt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know two bisexual girls and a lesbian. And I don't really talk to anyone about personal stuff. Heh.

3. ShebbsIsAwesome

I don't hang out with ANY gay people irl. Unless you count my boyfriend. My gsa is my "friends" but we dont hang out outside of school or anything. I'd like some good gay friends though. OHH well.

4. Alex19

i dont have any close gay friends. wish i did though. being around my straight friends only gets tiring. i guess i wish i had people to talk to that are on my same wavelength. love my straight buds though lol

5. DarkClarity

That's how I feel as well. Sometimes I just tired acting like everythings alright when it's not. Well at least I can talk to people here on EC but it would be nice to talk to somebody face to face.

6. robclem21

I agree with both. Its way different being able to talk to someone in person. I appreciate people I can talk to online, but would be nice to have someone irl also.

7. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly one week ago I found out one of my good friends is bi (mostly gay) when I came out to him as gay, and he is really the first bi/gay friend I've ever had. It was great to be able to talk to someone about all my feelings who actually understands such feelings. However, my straight female friend who was the first person I came out to has really been my "rock" throughout my whole coming out process in the last few months. I couldn't have done it without her. Other than that, as far as I know all of my close friends are straight and the ones I've come out to this past week have all been supportive. Although, there is of course the "friend" in my class who seems deeply closeted and confusing as hell, who I am starting to somewhat get over as a crush (definitely feeling a lot more hate than love right now for this confusing s.o.b.!). Sorry I keep venting about him (I'll try to do it less)! I do hope that someday I become close friends with more GLBT people that I can have deep, open conversations with.

8. KittyBoy

There are very few people that I know socially who are gay, usually just acquaintances, I actually find it hard to meet gay people socially. I spend most of my time around several groups of people and at most there are a few bi people but no one who is gay. It gets tiring after a while being around them because I always get left out of stuff and I don't really get to do what I want to do sometimes.

#28 KittyBoy, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  9. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I have a few gay and bi friends. I talk to them about personal things all the time. But it seems like I'm mostly the only one who deals with things based on sexuality.

10. Mad Man L

One (bisexual male), but ever since he started obsessing over My Little Pony, the friendship more or less hit rocks, and is dying. We're quite close, but sexuality is just one of many things which makes us quite close. It's ironic, considering nobody thinks we even talk or anything.

11. zeratul

zeratul Guest

I would objectively stand back and look at my gay or straight friends and say that they pretty much fit into some sort of box or pattern and are pretty similar types of people. And so far I've been very uncomfortable around people who do not fit into my types.

And for some reason, I don't connect well with straight women. Because, in my life I've never met a straight girl whose response to any discussion isn't pretend childish/ditsy, or phony caring, or high-and-mighty and tells you what you should do, or simply just avoids you because they don't want to talk to a guy.

12. Fiddledeedee

I have one friend/aquaintance who believes that love knows no gender, though I don't know how to interpret this in her case. Other than her, nope. I have yet to meet a single person who is LGBT in real life; when I do, I will freak them out as I will be so glad not to be alone!

13. Heyitsme

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have one gay male friend and one bisexual female friend. They used to go to my school, but they live in the states now. The only one I talk to alot about personal stuff is the guy (who is my ex-boyfriend).
    Then there's a friend at my school who's openly questioning his sexuality, but he seems pretty straight from what he's told me about his feelings.

14. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, but none of them go to school with me or live in my town.

15. SammieG16

my school is small, and mean. The few gays we have try to stay away from each other, so we don't draw to much attention to ourselves. Too many gays in one place would probably cause a lynch mob around here. red necks arent know for acceptence.

16. browneyedboy

i've got one gay friend, one lesbian friend, and have met a handful of gay guys at uni, but they're more acquaintances than actual friends. my gay friend i only found out was gay like 3 weeks ago, i probably should have come out to him as well but of course i didnt.

17. toaster

I have a few gay friends. Only talk to one about personal stuff. But I do have several close gay friends I met in the other site.

18. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, excluding people I met over EC, I have three people who I know who are gay, and one who's bisexual. And one who admits he seriously doubted his sexuality in the past.

Only one of the gay guys and the ex-doubting one are close enough to really talk about more serious subjects.

And somehow I do always feel slightly alienated talking to my gay friend. It's nice enough to know we both understand what it's like to be gay, but we're totally different otherwise. Which usually means that when we talk about being gay, or what guys we like or what we'd like to do about it... we find out there's not a lot in common. He likes older guys, I like guys my age. He likes hookups, i like the slow approach. He could go clubbing every day of the week, I only go out when other people drag me out. Experience overlap is precisely zero.
    So then we default to talking about movies, TV series, videogames and general gossip instead. That's how we became friends originally and both being gay is more of a coincidence.

Ironically, I have the inverse with my straight friends, and especially ex-doubting friend. They're always interested and fascinated, and when I talk about myself, they tend to agree on a lot of points, except on gender. Also, they do sometimes spectacularly get it wrong when trying to anticipate my feelings on GLBT topics. But on the whole, I never feel odd talking to them about it (and they are always the ones to bring it up, so I think they like talking about it too)

So yeah, I have gay friends IRL. But mostly, I don't really talk to them about GLBT stuff...

(and then, of course, there's some people on EC that are gay and that I do find myself comfortable talking to, so EC fills the gap my real-life friends leave open :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

19. maverick

I used to have a lot of gay friends in high school and college, but now that I'm out in the workforce, I don't know any queers who aren't in the closet. :frowning2:

Well, except me.

20. Daisy1

Long time no see Maverick!

Anyway, I didn't think I had any gay friends, but as I've talked to friends about questioning, I've found out that one is bisexual and two others have experienced some sort of same-sex attraction. So, I guess I've been lucky. But I've also learned that talking about these things tends to reveal that I'm not the only one who is questioning. :slight_smile: