New to this

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by mart83, Jun 20, 2010.

1. mart83

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've read and followed the forum on and off for a few months now, and I'm really heartened by the sense of community. I've decided to take the plunge and actually join the community, rather than watch from the sidelines.

I'm 26, but long in accepting that I'm gay (although it's always been something that, in retrospect, I should have know). Partly this delay is because, growing up in a conservative Catholic family (whom I love very much and, with the very large exception of still being closeted, am otherwise close to), it never seemed like an "option". "Of course" I wasn't gay - I dated a girl during college. Thankfully (for both our sakes), she broke it off because I seemed too withdrawn and distant. During graduate school I mostly avoided the subject of my sexuality, mostly because I hadn't yet accepted who I am. I've been out of school for two years now, working full time, and still mostly closeted. The only exception is one of my closest friends from graduate school, whom I told last year around Christmas time in an email (she's out of state, and usually avoids talking on the phone, though we both send about weekly, rambling emails to each other). We had discussed political issues like DADT and the Washington DC Archdiocese's decision to eliminate health care plans for its new hires so as not to give any benefits to same sex couples, so I knew that she was, broadly, supportive. Still, it was a risk, because agreement on political matters does not always mean support in a personal sense, and, being the caring, sensitive friend that I knew her to be, she immediately did show her support.

Anyway, what had begun as a quick introductory post, has turned into a long and rambling post (as one of my teachers admonished me: "don't write as if you're getting paid by the word"), so I'll shut up now. Other than to say thank you, already, for being here.

2. theJosephDean

Don't ever apologise for expressing your thoughts, sir. It's what we have them for! :slight_smile:

In any case, allow me to extend my welcome to our humble abode! I'm a fairly new member, too, and I've already found myself in the midst of some absolutely amazing people. I hope you enjoy taking part in the community, making posts and whatnot. Help others and we'll help you! :grin:

3. Blondie

Blondie Guest

Hiya mart83 sit down have a slice of pizza and a soda glad to have you aboard dont forget to check out the arcade and chat while your here:smilewave

4. EddyT

Hey and Welcome to EC. hope you have a great time here with us !

EddyT

5. RaRa

Welcome to EC! =)

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

Having been in the same place myself (not seeing being gay as an "option") I must say that being on here has helped me immensely.
    So I hope you'll enjoy yourself on here, and find the courage to be more out and open!

Your post wasn't rambling at all, by the way. I like long posts, actually. So by all means, write as if you're paid by the hour! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    Hi! Welcome to EC! :smilewave

Trust me, you can feel free to ramble all you want here. :grin: I like long posts too.

(*hug*)

8. Zumbro

Hullo and welcome to EC! (!!)

9. canadian bear

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC

11. mart83

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome - I'm glad to be here!

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi and welcome to Empty Closets! Enjoy your visits! :slight_smile:

13. Eleanor Rigby

Hi and welcome to EC :slight_smile: Thank you for sharing your experience so far, and congratulations for coming out to your friend. I am glad she had been supportive.
    I hope being on EC will help you on your journey.
    Make yourself at home :slight_smile: and see you around

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, Mart!

There are a lot of people who don't really deal with their sexuality and their feelings into well into their 20s and 30s and even later. Several of the EC staff, including myself, were in that position, so you're not remotely alone :slight_smile:

Congrats on taking the steps to live authentically. There's certainly no rush, but as you feel ready to do so, this community is a wonderful resource in helping you to figure out when/where/how to come out to family and friends, to provide support, and just to be a great place to hang out and talk with others who have been in your situation.

Take care and enjoy your time here!

15. Jim1454

Hi and welcome to EC from Jim in Toronto! I'm glad you've decided to join this site. I hope you find it as helpful in coming to terms and accepting your orientation as I did.