1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writers and Artist Unite!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Emberstone, Feb 6, 2010.

1. GhostDog

That sounds interesting! I assume they are unaware of said experiment? =P What's deathly about it, if I might ask? Or is that a part of the mystery?

Sounds cool! =D

2. GhostDog

GUYS.

YOU GUYS.

I AM GOING TO SCREENPRINT THIS.

[​IMG]

I am going to have to give up art after that, though, because it is basically my best idea ever. The rest of my artistic career will basically be trying to live up to this piece. It is a bittersweet day for us all, truly.

... I kid, I kid. I am seriously going to screen print this, though.

3. gemerency

weeeeelll its deathly because it has 76% fatality rate. but if you survive ^_^

4. gemerency

i've updates some new and old drawings to my art/photoshop album on my page :slight_smile:

5. Emberstone

I love seeing all this artwork. I may be bad at drawing anything remotely detailed, but I love seeing other people's drawing and graphic works because I love how like words, one can find a visual voice, for want of a better word, to help define one'self. I like how styles varie.

6. fallendream

i cant do anything remotely artsy but seeing as this thread is around i figured id write a small, crappy essay of meaningless. have fun reading this sh**.

benjamin ran his hand through his hair vaguely remembering the night before. he felt a wet, sticky mess in his hair. he moved his hand a few inches away from his face and felt his stomach backflip.
    he suddenly felt very ill. he looked across at the windows and doors - all barred up.
    this wasnt what he signed up for, this wasnt what he wanted, oh and how much he'd pay if one of the others could free him now.
    other what? he had forgotten what he was here to do. his memory drifted to the night before and to a face - her.

7. GhostDog

148 comic pages scripted so far. I keep wondering if not enough has actually happened yet, due to my tendency to be Wordy McWordysons. =/ There are plenty of pages with no or minimal dialogue, at least! BUT I AM SO TALKY.

I also have absolutely no idea where this thing is going! I know who's who, what they want, why they're in conflict, but not how it's gonna end up resolved. I have a direction, but no destination in mind. I am basically making up crap as I go along!

I keep wanting to get drawing the pages themselves, but I think drawing from a first-draft script is probably a terrible idea. >.>

I am just ramblin', pay me no mind. =P

8. gemerency

well GD, in all of my art tournaments (i've just got into a new one) i usually always just make it up as i go along :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, maybe thats why i havn't won one yet. lol. im sure it doesn't hurt to do a little bit of both though, who knows, maybe drawing one panel will offer inspiration for a diffrent part of the script

9. JakeBHT

does this thread include musical artists?

10. gemerency

i don't see why not

11. Emberstone

well, writing is involved in music, both in lyrics, and in composition.

12. JakeBHT

glad you agree...I wasnt sure if it was...books with pictures etc!

13. bouncingsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Um, can we include graff?

14. gemerency

graffiti is definitely an art form! i admire most all forms of graffiti i see around colorado

15. bouncingsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I always thought so. :slight_smile: but not all of its good art...tagging is just vandalism!

16. Emberstone

I am so glad that I am taking a poetry class. I do not much care for writing poetry much myself, except when I want to stretch my brain and try something different for a while.

I have learned so much, from the levels of diction, to how to spot, analyze, and write various figures of speech, and how all of these things can add richness and depth to anything you write.

I have already started to review my manuscripts, and start to arrange my characters into groups based on their personalities and backstories to define who talks formally, informally, with colloquialisems, though I have not found any who would qualify as vugate/full on slang. I am using that now in my rewriting, and it amazes me how much more defined and deliniated each character is now that there dialogue speaks about who they are.

Thought I would post a sample of what I am writing. This is the opening of the second chapter, and is apart of my fourth, and I hope, final draft of book one:

Chapter Two
    Adelaide​
    It was a miraculous thing that she had gotten any sleep at all. The wind had only become stronger, fiercer as the night progressed. It drove the rain hard against the roof, walls, and most annoyingly, the windows, which had shuddered under the onslaught. There was little to do but lay in the darkness, listening to the creaking of the tree in the next-door neighbor's yard, jumping when a branch would snap with a loud crack, the sound barely muffled by the howl of the wind that had caused the damage in the first place. As the night wore on, each loud crack brought her back from the dazed place halfway between awake and asleep. It had only been when her exhaustion was so strong that even the fiercest of gusts could do nothing to faze her, that she finally fell asleep.

Therefore, as the first of the bright sunlight began to filter through the window blinds, it was to a groan; she hardly felt as if she had slept at all.

The wind had ceased in the night, and judging by the brightness of the shafts of sunlight on her bed, it had blown the clouds out along with it. Looking over at her bedside table, her eyes still blurry with the last remnants of a fitful sleep, she saw her alarm clock; it flashed 12:00am at her, useless after the power outage. Blinking, she pulled the blinds up, and looked outside. What she saw did nothing to make her feel any better.

It was as if Mother Nature herself had declared war on the street, and had won the battle with ease. Branches that had snapped off the night before littered the waterlogged road, mixed in with the debris of blown over trash and recycling cans. The few flowers that had remained, stubbornly spurning the approach of the winter's chill, were now lying flat against the muddy flowerbeds, tramped down by the heavy rain. In the yard next door, the large tree in which she and Kyla had spent many a happy hot summer days taking refuge in its leafy shade, had almost completely toppled over; it only hung on by a few large roots that refused to part with the ground in which it had once anchored in. The only thing missing from the ominous scene was the last of the autumn leaves; they had fled along with the storm clouds that had caused all of this.

17. It pisses me off when kids get into trouble for painting graffiti.I can understand it its on like a big road sign or major building. But really who cares if they do it on some old bridge or building. Or maybe i'm wrong and they don't really get into trouble for doing it?

18. Shevanel

^ When it comes to graffiti, you really should get a permit to make your art. Otherwise it's vandalism. I've seen some amazing and beautiful graffiti pieces in random places around NYC, but 99.9% of these are huge and were permitted and legal.

There's also the huge problem of the gang/tagging connection, which IS a big problem. But at the very least it can help cops figure out where a gang's turf ends and where another's starts.

19. ^shows how much i knew about it xD I didnt even know they had permits for it

20. Shevanel

[​IMG]

Everytime I go to my dad's office, I see graffiti like this one. Especially this one, it's pretty sweet.