1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender and Music?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GhostDog, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Greggers

I noticed this awhile ago heh, for myself that is.

I would say i listen to 70% female, 15% gay/bi male, 15% straight male.

(not including my 30ish odd musical soundtracks...)

2. Zach1992

My iTunes consists of probably 75-80% women.

3. x2x2x2x2y2

Although my favorite band(paramore) is led by a girl singer, overall, i listen to guys a bit more then girls. i would say 60% guys and 40% girls. Pretty close.

4. Holmes

A lot the music I listen is quite male, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, R.E.M., The Rolling Stones, Leonard Cohen.

Except when I'm in a particularly gay mood, when I'd listen to Lady GaGa, Katy Perry or Lily Allen. :slight_smile:

5. Harve

15 of my top 30 last.fm artists have women in them, but vocalist wise it's probably a 70/30 split between males and females. I'm pretty sure i have no real preference, just bands from the genres i listen to happen to mainly be made up of males. I've never found a math-rock band with female vocals, for example.

6. Synth177

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This thread made me realize that I have no songs that primarily feature female vocals on my iPod except for one Shpongle track.

7. SeaRobin

I do tend to listen to female singers more but something else I've found is that I listen to a lot of queer artists. My top five artists/bands are k.d. lang, the Indigo Girls, Rufus Wainwright, Final Fantasy, and Norah Jones. The only one who isn't queer is Norah Jones... I didn't know that any of them were gay before I started loving their stuff. I think it's rather odd, but cool how that worked out.

8. zoeee

i think most singers i listen to are female but most bands are mainly male

9. Sonic Youth

Sonic Youth Guest

I was just thinking about this the other day because I was driving with a friend and we each brought a mix CD to play. After listening to both CDs, I noticed that her CD had mostly girls and guys singing, but mine had all guys singing except for two songs.

It probably has something to do with attraction, like women/gay guys are more attracted to male voices so they'll listen to more bands with male singers, and vice versa with lesbians

10. GoBabyGoGo

i think i have mostly female singers. but a fair few males as well i guess. probably 35%M/65%F. dont really know why that is.

11. elitechris

i pretty much have all femal artist with a male here and there

12. Breakdown

i jst had a look at my ipod an mostly all my music is guy vocalists.

----------

13. Sonic Youth

Sonic Youth Guest

I wasn't saying that music you listen to is only influenced by attraction to either sex, but I was speculating that on a subconscious level sexuality does influence the type of music you listen to, as well as which gender of singer you prefer.

14. Neoh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Although I actually prefer Female vocalists I actually listen to more male fronted bands, just because they are a lot more abundant in rock :\ I just think the reason that I prefer female singers is that as a whole they are much better and much easier to listen to. Because unless that male is freddy mercury and can just destroy any song he sings, females just sound a whole lot better to me.

AHHH I love Paramore!!! :eusa_danc

15. Breakdown

bt ur saying the same thing to what i was saying right?

16. satchel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like Paramore. My best friend loves them, though.

I like mostly male singers and tend to only enjoy a song by a female singer if the lyrics are especially good. This is commercial music I am talking about, of course, not when making music with friends and stuff.

Most of the male singers that I listen to, though, wouldn't be called bastions of straightness. I like Gogol Bordello's gypsy-punk style and I think Conor Oberst from Bright Eyes has amazing lyrics and a scratchy-but-talented voice. Cloud Cult is probably my favorite band and I love Sufjan Stevens. The men of Flight of the Conchords or MGMT aren't particularly mainstream heterosexual, either. The straightest band I like is probably Flogging Molly or the Eels. Phish probably doesn't count and I doubt Rat-a-Tat and Brand New do either.

I guess the point is, while I listen to male singers they are male in the sense that I connect with my gender. I don't like macho-man bands because I don't connect with their lyrics or voices and the same goes for girly bands.

17. My favourites are Nirvana, Elliott Smith, Bjork, Jeff Buckley, Smashing Pumpkins, R.E.M., and Billie Holiday. Although my favourites are mostly sung by males, I prefer female vocalists most of the time.