1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Roommates

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AtomicCafe, Oct 14, 2009.

1. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not even sure how the mechanics of that would even work...sometimes I think people are so totally oblivious they don't think about the physics of what they are saying.

Well, that all sucks in any case, but yeah, at least you dodged that one. I'm just thankful the guy I'd been rooming with for two years turned out to be gay, made things a lot easier...plus we get to talk about hot dudes at night.

Good luck!

2. AtomicCafe

lol! I'm jealous, ethelred.... If I had a gay roommate, it'd be a party in our room every night!

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would of slapped her silly frankly. Nuff' said.

4. Gaetan

My dwindling faith in the "great, silent majority" of humanity continues to slide.

Hope your next roommate will be more tolerant!

5. LostLurker

That's pretty ridiculous. The roommate that left the text/note doesn't make much sense to me. If she didn't want to room with you, why go out of her way to leave those notes? Just seems unnecessary. I mean, I could understand her yelling it at you, or leaving a message if you had tried to push further contact, but wow.

6. RaeofLite

Wow she can't even get homophobia right... If you liked dudes you wouldn't have that flag up right?

So true. I just want to eye f*** every chick I see. Mmmhmm... *eyeroll* :badgrin:

Hope you have better luck with roommates. Remember, life does get better. Just surround yourself with positive people and educate others if they don't know. :slight_smile:

7. AtomicCafe

Seeing another thread on roommates reminded me of this thread, so adding on another update and a plea for some advice!

My newest roommate moved in a week ago. Seemed like an awesome girl... until she friended me on Facebook. I glanced at her profile since we weren't talking much and I wanted to strike up a conversation about something she liked. Every last part of her profile was full of Bible quotes. I know there are plenty of accepting religious people, but when Leviticus 18-22 shows up several times in the space of one profile, it's a bad sign. I tried to strike up a conversation anyway, and she immediately put me down because she had been on my profile too -- which says I like women, am a part of lots of pro-gay groups, and had just posted pictures from a Pride parade. We haven't said more than 2 words to each other since, unless you count her occasional spoken thoughts on why the Bible is right about homosexuals burning in hell. (I deserved some of those comments, though. The night before, she had made a comment about cancer being God's punishment to sinners, so I stuck a Facebook status up on my profile that was pretty harsh against her...)

I've spoken to the RAs in my dorm -- which is the most homophobic dorm I've ever seen considering the number of times I had my AIDSwalk and SafeZone posters ripped down from my door -- and they keep telling me that, since no one can get a room change, I just have to suck it up. I've just taken to staying out as much as possible. What on earth am I supposed to do for the next 30 weeks?

8. Gaetan

It really astounds me that your school doesn't allow room changes at all. I imagine it would be fewer headaches on their part to allow limited room changes. My school, you can change rooms at any time for any reason for a $50 processing fee. The only thing they can't do is make someone move.

I know it sucks you're not talking, but are you and your room-mate fighting at all? Passive-aggressive is no way to really live, but it is at least better than all out fighting.

I was an RA last year, and, I have to admit RAs really have very little real power. Most they could do is pass actual problems higher up the chain if needed. And, unfortunately, roommates who aren't talking aren't a very major concern unless it might get worse.

9. AtomicCafe

Yeah, I hate this no-change policy, but apparently the school is keeping it until they finish giving priority to the overbooked students (several hundred of them, at that). I suppose we aren't having any major conflicts -- it's mostly her berating me and my just ignoring it. I'm just getting so incredibly annoyed about this and I'm miserable with this stupid situation. I can't wait to move somewhere else.

10. punkrocker99

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have to say that I really feel for you <3 (*hug*)

I hope things get better because you've had really shitty luck with roommates. :frowning2:

No matter what happens with the awful bitches you've encountered at college, everyone here loves you and even if it seems like the world is full of shitty awful homophobic people; it's not. There are AMAZING straight and gay people in this world that are incredible for support and u WILL find people like that.

No worries <3

11. AtomicCafe

You're adorable. :slight_smile: <3

One thing I'm thankful for is the fact that my school is -- for the most part -- EXTREMELY liberal, and I live in a really, really liberal city. We get the nickname of the "U of Gay" from everyone in the state and even beyond because we have about 10 LGBT groups, plus an Institute for LGBT Studies, plus all of this great stuff. I've got awesome supporters all over... just not where I sleep. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: