Do you respect your parents?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mitchell, Aug 29, 2009.

?

Do you respect your parents?

1. Yes!

113 vote(s)
    75.8%
  2. No!

27 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. I Don't live with my parents / I don't have parents

9 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. MayonakaNeko

I love and respect my parents all the time, but tend to be disappointed in them when they don't respect me or my decisions.

2. merlov1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother, but not my dad. Lol

3. Satuet

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not too sure...
    I guess I respect my mother. From what I've heard she was an extremely good person before she got ill.
    My father, I respect him, but it's more from the fact that I respect that the desicions his made were his too make, and that I understand what he's trying to do even if I don't agree with it.
    I don't live with either, so whether I respect them or not doesn't matter too much.

4. musican

I respect my mom because she doesn't demand my respect, she respects me and listens to me. I don't respect my dad because he thinks that just because he is my dad, I should respect him. It really bothers me that he thinks that he shouldn't have to earn my respect; I think everyone needs to earn the respect of others.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It really bothers me when parents demand respect from their kids but don't give it to their children. It should be a two-way street. When my son was young, one of his aunts would always make snide remarks to him. She was joking around but my 6 or 7 year old didn't know that. He called her the same thing that she called him. When he did it, she turned to me and said "Are you going to let him get away with that?" I said "Well, that is exactly the same way you talk to him." She was pissed off. lol

6. Mitchell

I totally agree.

7. Jay D

I hate my parents. They treat me like I'm some kind of leper just because I'm bisexual. It's ridiculous. :bang:

8. theworld

I respect my parents very, very much. I'm not however as close to them

9. NickT

I like my mom WAY more than I like my dad, but I respect both their decisions on things. I know they're both good people, even when I have an argument with one of them (usually dad).

10. crystaltriforce

i used to..... :dry:

11. Peter

Glad to see that a majority of the people here do respect their parents. We need to remember that if they don't understand me, it is probably because I don't understand them. I have some idea of what my parents have been through and, while they are many things with which I disagree, I need to remember that they are another generation, they have been brought up in a different world... Of course, it does make it easier when the feelings are mutual and I have strived to show my children respect as well - I don't know if I have always succeeded, but I understand that they too are living in a different world from mine!

12. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

As much shit as I know I'm gonna get shit for this, I don't respect them that much, They have gone against every rule that they have shoved down my throat, then denied being wrong about it. My Mom started cheating on my Dad with a man who lived around the block from us.This happened a few months after my Dad crashed our 3rd car while drunk driving. Needless to say, they got divorced within a year.This was now....7 years ago. My Dad is still a raging alcoholic and denied that I was depressed for over 2 years until my Mom to me took a doctor who said I was in fact depressed and needed to be put on anti-depressants. My Mom is in a serious relationship with a Married Muslim (don't have anything against Muslims) man.She is Catholic. Oh yeah, and when I was 13, my Mom's last words before kicking me out were "I wish you were never born". I moved back a year later. All my Dad cares about is manipulating women, playing them, and using them. Then they have the nerve to practically crucify me for failing 9th grade,all the while I was telling them I was depressed. So no, I don't really respect them.

13. secret garden

I always respected my mom, but I can't say the same for my dad. I still kinda love him, but it's a very weird, we barely talk and we live in the same house...

14. Gambit

I respect them both, although I moved out of home when I turned 18. I have always been respectful to them, and they have been that way with me. They have always respected my decisions and opinions.

15. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

i will always respect my parents however they have both made alot of bad decisions in life that is unforgivable. but these things happen.

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I respect and love my parents a lot. They are great! :grin: But that doesn't mean I agree with/do every single thing they say...

17. littledinosaurs

The answers are pretty black & white, but I went with no.

18. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    respect would depend on which parent (mom or dad), and what the situation is. Oftentimes I respect them, but for dad it's with some contempt.

----------

I wouldn't either <.<;

19. Nomad187

Respect is earned and just being my parent doesn't earn it. My dad beat me and my mom so me and her moved out. I respected her for being brave and moving out because my dad was abusive then about a year later she starts getting pissed at me for not talking to him and trying to force me to talk to him when as far as I am concerned he isn't my dad. My older brother has been a male parental figure for me. |My mom is verbally and mentally abusive even though she fucking sucks at it cause she doesn't understand I don't care what she thinks. She says my choice of clothing and haor color are "faggy" or "too gay" and she always tries to make me feel bad about being gay and not giving her grandchildren. So case in point I have no respect for either parent but I do for my brother

20. titaniumCloset

I guess because I do what they ask for the most part...but I don't respect their actions always - drinking, being angry, making fun of gay people, etc...those actions I don't respect but overall I guess I respect them as people.