1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would YOU say to someone if...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Dazed

Dazed Guest

this is what how i react to people who bust out the im going to hell card.

them: its a sin to be gay and you going to hell.
    me: god made me gay
    me: he also made you a dick.

*walk away*

hahaha

2. Micah

You chose to be Christian; I didn't choose to be gay, so please keep your opinion to yourself.

3. starfish

:slight_smile: You are welcome. However I can not take credit for finding that verse. Another member here pointed it out, a while back. I can't remember his name off the top of my head.

I do love that verse though.

You may hear folks talk about the differences between God in the old and new testaments. In the old testament you have a powerful, vengeful, controlling God. In the new testament you have a loving, forgiving, tolerant God.

It is my belief, in the Old Testament man kind was like a child. So God was very strict with us and punished us when we got out of line. However with the New Testament that is now no longer the case. We are adults now, as such it is up to us to determine how to live our life and to govern our selves. As long as we do that he will not judge us, even if he disagrees with what we do. Those that still act like children and do not govern themselves will be judged. I don't believe there is a Hell, I believe you just die. I also don't believe in Heaven in the traditional sense. I believe that those us who are not judged are given the chance to reach our true potential and become equals with God. To be honest I don't fully understand how that happens, or if it means that we get to leave our physical bodies. I also don't believe we will get truly eternal life, but I do know that for those fortunate enough it will be a wonderful experience.

So I veered a little off topic there, but if someone asked me anything related to religion and wanted a thorough answer, this is what I would tell them. Can I point out everything I believe in the Bible. Nope. I contend if you can not express your faith, and require it to be described in the Bible or other text you truly do not have faith.

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd probably say (and have said before) something along the lines of "You're not the one who determines my fate, and I'm sure your God wouldn't condemn me for being who he made me".

5. N3p7uN3

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That would be questioning the justification of God's omnipotence entirely, and henceforth their religion all together, which they will never like and will probably give you some bullshit remark or attempt of an explanation using semantics.

At any rate, if I was presented with such a scenario, I would probably say, "Well it's lucky I don't believe in fairy tales."

6. xequar

Let's see, depending upon my mood it would either be...

-(especially good in winter) "Good. At least it'll be WARM there!"
    -Yeah, and wearing a cotton/poly blend will send me to hell, as will eating pork or touching a football, and that vegetable garden... Yep, I'm hosed. Don't believe me? Check out Leviticus 11 and Leviticus 19:19."

Really, the best defense against a Fundigelical is to avoid them in the first place. But, if you do get into a pissing match with one, KNOW the bible, since chances are good that they won't, and you'll be able to end the conversation reasonably quickly. If nothing else, a simple, "Fuck you, I don't care what you think because you're a horrible human being disguising prejudice and hatred as religion," should suffice.

If it's with a friend, it's ultimatum time. If it comes up, tell them you don't believe as they believe, and that if they ever bring it up again, the friendship's over because a true friend has absolutely no right to demean and insult you in such a fashion. Make absolutely certain they know how insulted and hurt you are at the very mention of it, too, since let's be honest. Being told that being gay is a sin and you'll burn in hell is a MASSIVE insult. It's uncivilized, bad behavior that gets covered up as "religion," but such behavior is no better than being a member of the KKK.

7. xequar

I'll be honest. If it reinforces the stereotype, I really don't care. One of the biggest failings of the gay rights movement has been this idea that we have to sit back and be nice quiet little homos and if we're nice enough and quiet enough and don't stick out and don't offend the Christiban and their Christhadist warriors, that they'll eventually play nice and share their rights with us.

Fuck that!

The gay rights movement exists BECAUSE OF and FOR those that don't conform to the Christiban Fundigelical idea of how we're supposed to behave, not in spite of them. These religious fucktards have spewed their hatred and had it protected in the name of religion for far too long, and the idea that they're good people because they're religious is just plain bullshit. Good people are good people regardless of their religious conviction. There are a lot of very good people out there that are Christians, that are Muslims, that are (insert group here). Good people don't hate gays and try to blame their religion for it. People that hate other groups of people just because they're different, like blacks or jews or gays, are just bad people. I know this because I used to be a brainwashed Fundie. I know I was a bad person, and I know I overcame it. A couple of times, people called me on some stuff I said, and they called me on it very forcefully, and you know what? It compelled me to examine WHY they reacted as they did and compelled me to avoid provoking that kind of hurt and offense again.

Again, I'm going to be honest. I'm one of those loud types. I have multiple Pride stickers on my car. I have a rainbow lanyard keychain. I go out in public wearing bondage collars sometimes. I have no qualms about wandering around a fetish fair wearing nothing but a diaper and a collar and maybe my fedora with the plume of bright pink feathers. I'm not afraid to mention my boyfriend in conversation or to list him as my partner when I go into the hospital. I'm not one of those nice quiet little homos that tries to stay quiet and blend in and play nice, and if some Christoban Fundigelical fucktard feels compelled to tell me that I'm a flawed being that deserves an eternal spot in hell just because I love another man, I'll happily tell them to go take a long walk off a short pier, and if that reinforces a stereotype that gays are a bunch of wicked sinful people, then oh well.

8. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To quote Backseat Goodbye:
    "You can't go to hell if it isn't real, but if it is I'm sure I'll see you there."

9. Jesse Jinx

I've had this conversation before, and I am Christian. This a good conversation for me to have because I get really into it. Of course if you're arging with someone who will just say "It's a sin" blindly without even knowing where it's coming from, then while you will win the argument you will not change their opinion.

It was not a choice for me to be the way I am. Who on earth would choose to go through the coming out process, risking ostracism from all of their friends and family? I believe that if a god made me, he loves me the way I am. I'm a good person, I help where I can, and I like to make people happy. Me being Bi isn't hurting any other of gods creatures, and I'm only asking to love who I love in peace with equal rights. My love is not a sin.

You can look at my icon for some interesting bible verses to contradict your zealous friend. :grin:

10. Greggers

I most likely should have cleared up the fact that i dont want to offend the Christian person before making this thread heh.

No offense to anyone who posted like this, but if i told someone MY beliefs and then in response they told me to "fuck off" or "i dont believe so i cant go there" or "your religion is wrong" or "yay! hell seems great" or anything like that, i would be VERY offended and definitely go around telling everyone how horrible gay people are. Ive been around bible thumpers long enough to know that ANY response like these, no matter how politely worded, brands you as a "horrible person" to them. I would hate to think what would happen if someones first and possibly only interaction with a gay person was "Fuck off, i dont believe in your religion" and then they brought that story back to there church, who then told there family and friends, and before you know it everyone has this one experience branded to the word "gay"

I really think you have to use a positive response to counter there negative one. If your nice to the person trying to call you out for being gay is does two things: 1) Makes them look like a giant asshole. 2) Shows them that your a real person (and thats very important for someone whos never been exposed to a "gay" other than via media). I know alot of Christian friends who have done a complete 360 on the subject because ive come out to them. Once they see im not waving a rainbow flag in there face with only spandex shorts on, they tend to change there attitude.

I like how Jesse put it:

11. xequar

The thing is that the gay rights movement at large seems to be trying to closet those that aren't nice quiet little conformist homos, and I don't like it at all. We're all in this together.

I would assert that there are different situations and different responses. In the case of a friend, you wouldn't tell them to fuck off immediately. However, people still seem to hold religion in special regard and give it some degree of esteem, NONE of which is deserved. Having someone, ANYONE, tell me that I'm a sinner that deserves to go to hell JUST for being gay has INSULTED me at a very base level, and I would say that it's at least equally as bad as walking up to a Christian and saying that they're a horrible person just because they're a Christian. Bad behavior is bad behavior, plain and simple. In the case of a friend, I would converse with them in a normal fashion to show them WHY what they said is so incorrect and so insulting.

That said, I have literally had Fundigelicals come up to me on the street as I was walking with a guy with whom I was on a date and tell me that we were going to hell. He was some random Christofascist asshat that was street preaching and felt compelled to come and harass us even though we said nothing to him or gave him any legitimate reason to come preach to us. And yes, I told him to mind his own fucking business and to quit pushing his hate-filled bullshit fairy-tale onto me. Would I do it again? Absolutely. If I confirmed the "wicked sinner" stereotype to him, I frankly don't care. His behavior was completely uncalled for and improper, and I wasn't about to stand there and take it and let him get away with it.

12. jazzrawr

I'd tell them that if 'god' didn't want me to be gay, they wouldn't have made me gay. And that I'd rather be in hell, if they were going to heaven - I'm sure if they were there, they'd be making everyone's afterlife miserable.

13. Maggi

why would god make me gay if he would hate me for it?

ummmm......

look up the literal translations of sodom and gamora bc its not what people say it is (i got this info from reading the god box by alex sanchez)

if i think of more i will post another comment

14. SexyTimeInTent

Southend-On-Sea, Essex, South East, England
    stress that homosexuality is not a sin, using this or some other example.

then say that even if it were a sin, "let him without sin cast the first stone", Jesus said this in a Gospel -mark or luke, I cant remember which- to men who were about to stone a woman for a sin, I believe it was prostitution (though I cant really remember that either) and they all put their stones down.

15. Crackajack

Crackajack Guest

Hit them in the nuts, Now you try having kids ass hole. = Lifes good :thumbsup:

16. Mr Bojangles

I'd just say:

Want to try being gay for a day. Didn't think so. Because I have to put up with your bull, and general abuse, it makes me much stronger than you, so bugger off and stick your false morals up your arse :]

17. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

Greggers you are so right about not offending someone's beliefs. The only way to change people's attitudes is to convince them otherwise...not brush them aside. I have been brought up as a Catholic. Although I'm not a practicing Christian I know all the teachings and I can therefore understand the root of homophobia within the church. This discrimination has arisen through lack of education...unfortunately this means that we have a role to teach ignorant people who we are.

All that is fine and good in theory, but sometimes the prejudice happens too frequently and most people have a threshold for the amount they can handle. When that happens I can see why frustration will culminate in telling someone to "fuck off". Usually if I get to my threshold, I just raise my eyebrows, take a deep breath and walk away.

18. kettleoffish

that tends to work quite nicely on Christian anti-gays.

19. Remington

I would probably attempt to punch him/her in the face.

20. Bunny

Hmm. How 'bout, "I'd rather go to hell than be miserable my whole life."?