Is making male friends hard for gay guys?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ricoca, Feb 5, 2009.

1. someguy82

Most of my friends are guys.

2. JMar2222

there ya go couldnt have said it better. i have a lot of friends that are guys, and most of them dont know about me, and if they did, they really wouldnt care. i like hanging with guys, not because im attracted to them or they're creeped out cause we all share similar interests and also avoid the drama the girls in our group of friends bring. haha

3. Nodnarb

90% of my friends are guys, so I think it's safe to say it's not that hard for me:slight_smile:.

And I don't get all nervous or tongue-tied or whatever around cute guys. I don't know why, but it doesn't really effect me.

Well, there is one guy. But that's because I've always had a huge crush on him:slight_smile:

4. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

Not really. I can talk. And talk, and talk, and talk. ENDLESSLY.
    Communication has never really been a problem for me, though I tend to prefer to talking to girls rather than guys :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. starfish

It is not a problem for me. Just about all of my friends are guy and the few girls that are are honorary guys.

My problem is the opposite, and this just may because I just came out and am new to this. When I meet a guy that I like and start talking to him after about two minutes I forget that he is gay and I am interested in him and revert to my usual straight guy mode. I end up friend zoning him and once that happens it pretty much stays there. Hopefully with experience I will quit doing that.

6. Peter

Nearly 40 years older, and I relate completely. This is still exactly my situation! Add to that the fact that I have moved country and continent four times in the past twenty years and have a job where I work alone, mostly from hotel rooms around the wall and, basically, I have no friends any more, whatever the sex.

7. Defender

Defender Guest

Yeah I become fairly shy when around other guys, mainly because I'm not sure if they are dead set on following some kind of standard. The bullying I endured when I was about 11/12 has had an effect too.

8. Jace

I only have like 3(?) Guy friends and one is gay

I think I have a bit of heterophobia, so I always go on the defensive when straight guys talke to me, cause a lot of the time they say something dumb

Plus sometimes I just get nervous around guys
    Whether they're cute or not

So I don't have many male friends

9. 3104

Out Status:
    A few people
    I can sort of relate. You see, I just started pharmacy school this year and there are a few guys in particular that I find VERY attractive at the school. Like,...wow....And I will talk to them in passing, they are all nice people. But I am slowly coming to the realization that I maybe should not talk to them on a regular basis.

It's not that I would not be able to control my feelings (I better be able to for heaven's sakes, I am in a professional environment), it's just that I may confuse myself with what my intensions are, if that makes any sense. I would like to just be able to talk to them as friends, and I KNOW I can act like nothing is "wrong" on the outside so everything would be fine, but the fact that I wanted to just talk to them in the first place makes it clear in my mind that I would like to do a lot more that just talk (I know, that was blunt, but I can't help myself :icon_bigg)

10. kevinx519

i find i have a significant more amount of girl friends. the guy friends i do have are either fairly distant or really close to me. having hot guy friends hasnt been too big of an issue with me. i just save it for my fantasies.

11. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Well I'm not a gay guy but if you were to turn it round and ask me if is hard for me to make female friends because I am a lesbian then I would say no, I have many more female friends then male, in fact almost all of my straight female friends have more male friends then I do.

12. Greggers

I find it extremely hard to connect to straight guys compared to straight girls or gay guys. It just seems like its hard to find as much in common. I can make friends with girls really easy though, and they seem to like me alot better. Also, its easier for me to read straight girls too so i can tell what they are thinking.

13. SpacerX

i think my friends are very varied in terms of types and personality. Some qualities that make a friendship work are present in both males and females for different reasons. Some girls have more guts than some guys, and that's what attracts me to them, whereas some (straight) guys might have a caring, sensitive side.

14. Janvier

I have more male friends and I don't find it hard to make new ones, I connect easily with people.
    What's the worst that can happen anyway? Rejection? Well if that's the case, I won't waste my time with that person :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    In the end, I haven't lost anything.

15. Stuie

Because I go to an all boys school, I tend to value my friendships with girls very highly. Out of my closest friends, I have more boys than girls, but that was primarily the culture in my class in year 7 and 8. Boys sat on one side of the room, girls on the other. On this orchestra program I did on the summer holidays, I spent most of my time with girls, which I really enjoyed as it was a great break from the very male culture at my school. I don't have know a heap of gay people (only two that I would call not particularly close friends), which kind of has its disadvantages, but it will all be ok in the end.

16. xXHolic

I don't have a problem hanging out with guys.. Most of my friends are girls as I can talk more freely to them, and not just because I'm bi. I enjoy having a new guy friend and helping him 'throw out of the window' all the hard persona he want's to show to others and then actualy get to met him better!(meaning non sexually.) Thas't something I can't do with girls..

well, it's complicated :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Dave

I have difficulty making friends with people I'm attracted to. I have more friends who are girls than guys.
    Once I actually had a guy who I was crushing on ask me why I couldn't talk to him, and I couldn't give him a real answer, it was kinda awkward at best.

18. Beebo

almost all my friends are guys. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. however, I am not exactly the steryotipical gay guy... I try not to think of myself as a gay guy when I'm hanging out, or meeting new people. I just think of myself as a guy... LOL.

19. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Most of my friends are males lol.

20. GoBabyGoGo

all of my friends are male... i wish i had some friends who were girls :frowning2:

im just really hoping it wont be hard making/maintaining friendships with guys when/if i come out completely at school...