My gay friend using the term 'gay'...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by partietraumatic, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Jeimuzu

I wish I'd gone to a gay university xD Sounds like party central.

2. SpacerX

Same for me. Also people use 'fag' for cigarette here as well as Britain, so it's kind of taken

3. I say things are gay all the time. People don't really mind it.

4. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

My gay friend Sean uses it. It's weird when he says it, cause he says it when something trivial is irritating him.

I did.

I work in a special ed (the lowest program available, their IQs have to be under 50) class as an aide and there's this one kid, "Alan" he's a behavior problem, and one day (actually it's happened a lot) he kicked "Nancy". "Nancy" is slightly higher functioning than "Alan" but still, in special ed. She started to cry so I took her aside to calm her down and she said 'My grandma works with retarded kids like "Alan" and I know to be nice and not make fun of them, but he's really mean' I seriously had no idea what to say to her at first.

5. HeavensRejekt

I haven't used that word since middle school.

6. Urman

Urman Guest

We had this diction in the chat also and like i told others if theLGBT community uses it then we can't get mad when st8 people use it.

7. Noah

Anybody seen that south park where Mr. Garrison calls random ppl on the street fags, and they get super mad, and then he says "hey, its ok, I'm gay!" And they are like, oh ok. No harm done.

Sorry, random. Lol

8. Shyvin

I think the word is fine used that way. Just my personal opinion. I do it all the time. Whether we want to admit it or not the word has transcended into many different meanings over the years. Happiness, sexual orientation, and now unsatisfactory/derogative. In a way it still means all three. Just matters the context. And you all could make the argument that the only reason it fits in the latter category is because of homophobes who began using it that way to ridicule us. You have a point, but it has past the point where something can be done.

It's not a slight against gay people when I say it. (That isn't my intention, obviously.)

But for some people, the homophobic, it might be their exact intention (in which case I would be offended), and for a lot, actually most, it's just a word that caught on and we are rolling with it. We can critique our language but we can't determine what will and won't catch on.

And making a fuss about it.....is just absurd. It's a waste of time to think you can stop people from using it in that fashion.

#28 Shyvin, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  9. myra

I say gay. Not often, but on occasion. And usually only joking around about something. I don't take too much offense over. I'm not homophobic or anything. its just in my vocabulary. And the only time i say fag is when i'm with david and bryan...cuz i'm their fag hag.

10. Kryz

I only use it when I wanna laugh. I only use that kind of words in a comidic / funny way.
    I never mean any offense, when I want to offend ppl I use a lot more "bad" words in the same sentence.

11. Cheese Love

I've definitely heard that before.

Old habits die hard.

Some gay people are really comfortable with that. My girlfriend has been picking up the word dyke a lot more lately. I personally don't say things like that, but it doesn't bother me too much when others do.

12. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I use it lol.

I love seeing my friends be like "o__O?" when I use it.

13. Nugget

It slips out of my mouth on occasion, especially when my older sister is around. She's not homophobic, I know that, and I know she only says it because everyone is (especially where she's currently living, I can't wait 'til she comes back), but she says it a lot. In fact, I think saying it all the time is contagious, so that's why I punish myself for saying it.

14. Vector

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm guilty of saying gay. But I'm of the opinion that the word gay has three practical meanings: happy, homosexual, and annoying/bad. It's all about context.

The word that I am not fond of is fag. For some reason that strikes me as a lot more offensive and I'm not particularly happy when people use it.

15. Bryan

I don't use gay like that. Because it bothers me when straight friends do, but for some reason it doesn't when gay friends do.