1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The gargoyle

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lexington, Nov 11, 2008.

1. silentsound

2. xequar

Lex, *BIG HUGE HUGS*

Trust me, I know what you're going through. I work at one of the Detroit automakers. In the five years I've been here, I've survived four rounds of cuts, the most recent being the 15 percent task in July. During that round, they closed my former department, fired all the staff people (I'm an agency employee), and outsourced the work, which meant a bunch more people lost their jobs when the new vendors didn't hire them. I got lucky when they shifted my function into a different department.

Friday, the company just announced a new 10 percent task, to be completed by the end of January. :tears:

Cuts suck. Hard.

If you need anything, even just a shoulder to cry on, don't hesitate to find me.

3. interstella

Aww... *hugs* I hope you don't get fired.
    My friend's dad got laid off after the collapse of Lehman Brothers :frowning2:

4. LoveIsBlind

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to hear about your work and your friend, I hope you don't have to find another job.

(*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm actually in a fairly good spot, financially. Should my job vanish, I'll be OK for quite some time. But I love my job, and I love my place of employment. I've been here over a decade, even turning down better options to stay here. I don't want to see it go under.

Thanks for all the well wishes, all. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Shebbs

D: <3 (*hug*)

Lex, things will get better, I'm sure of it. :] <3

Mucho Love-o.
    -Shebbs

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really sorry to hear that (*hug*) I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

8. Nodnarb

(*hug*)

I'm sorry to hear about the layoffs, Lex. Keep us updated on things(*hug*)

9. Mickey

*HUGS* I have my fingers crossed for you. Good luck to my favorite gay gargoyle!

10. Dark Secret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear your news Lex.

Unfortunately, we live in uncertain times.

(*hug*)

11. darkestknight

Hugs from me too. Hope everything's all right! (*hug*)(*hug*)

12. LorenzG1950

Hi Lex,

Sorry to hear about the layoff situation. A double hug from the other side of the Atlantic (*hug*)(*hug*). The US Army is also closing bases in Europe so I’ll probably be out of a job in 2011. It’s especially hard for people in their 40’s and 50’s. Most employers don’t want older folks who might be more expensive, less healthy, and less flexible, or so they think. When I was working in Human Resources, I always had good luck hiring older employees (35+). They are more settled, are less likely to call in sick, and are more highly motivated if they get a chance to demonstrate their depth of experience.

Use this opportunity to assess your talents and contemplate where you might want to be in 5 years. We get awfully comfortable in our job and company after 10 years. A crisis like this one can jar us out of our relative complacency, at least get us thinking about what we would do if day X comes and we need to look for a new employer. A lot of bankers, real estate folks and autoworkers are facing that fate this week, many totally unprepared. So here is my advice:

• Assess your qualifications and unique talents
    • Match talents to interests
    • Research companies that would benefit from your skills and experience
    • Put together a good resume/portfolio
    • Send out some letters of inquiry while you are still employed, test the waters, and ask for 20% more than you’re earning now

This process doesn’t cost much and gets you prepared mentally for the potential changes ahead. The eternal conflict is whether we can earn enough cash doing what we like to do, in a stable company.

You’re an excellent counselor here on EC, providing great advice spiced with wit, sarcasm, and a refreshing command of the English language. You say much with few words and you do it with a high degree of analytical competence. You could certainly do well as a syndicated columnist with a major newspaper :eusa_clap.

So now that I’ve smothered you in compliments, get back to work and start making something out of yourself. You are too young to retire and too smart to be unemployed. Look at the bright side. You’ll never be fired from EC :icon_bigg.

13. Sam

Sam

(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

I'm sorry lex. Things will get better.

14. Peter

It is a tough time. I hope things work out for you. I was laid off a few years ago (in my mid-forties) and created my own business, doing what I used to do, but without someone else getting the financial benefit of my work. Best thing that ever happened to me. We're all with you buddy.(&&&) and :kiss:

15. velvetvamp

(&&&)(*hug*)(&&&)