Apparently Gay Guys Can't JUST Be Friends? -.-;

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tim, Oct 30, 2008.

1. BeautifulStranger

I have homo friends...
    I've kissed them, but kissing doesn't mean anything to me. What matters is the person I'm kissing.

Back in Michigan I greet all my friends with a hug and quick peck.

2. Amy

Amy

"im bi, but i have a preferance for the females..."
    "really?"
    "yes."
    "i know a lesbian. you should totally hook up."
    "no"
    "why?"

i might do that too.

3. Kryz

It has never happened to me.

BUT I've known ppl who has happened to.

I think it's ignorance more than any other thing. They have an image of a gay person and as they don't know many gay ppl as well....

This also helps for the "I know a gay guy, you should hook up" thing.

4. musican

My best friend is Chinese and she once had someone say "I know a Chinese girl, do you know her?" She replied "Oh hey, I know this American girl, do you know her?"

5. SamAlex728

^haha, that reminds me of Calpernia Addams' "Things not to ask a Transsexual" video

EDIT: here it is

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOjeZnjKlp0[/youtube]

#25 SamAlex728, Nov 1, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  6. Gumtree

I can't see another gay guy out of school without there being rumours being spread that we're dating the next day.

Tis pathetic - can't believe so many people care that much about my life to talk about it so much. :/

7. blankpaper

8. Connor22

yeah me and a gay guy I'm friends with are just friends, good friends, and apparantly (or at least according to some "friends") we've been together since 2002 and have done everything together that you can think of. yes all of it.

9. Roxas101

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ZOMG!! Thread Necromancy!! BACK ZOMBIE THREAD, BACKKK!!!~!~! The power of rainbows compels you! the power of rainbows compels you!!!!!!!!

Anyways.

I have a few Gay guy friends... and no-one really seems to think it too extraordinary that I am not dating them. True, I'm not particularly close - but eh. I have some Bi guy friends and it seems to be even less of a problem, though they both date girls regularly.

10. Just Adam

i know a few gay people irl, dont have any real friends tho irl. lgbt friends that is...then again not many of other.

11. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Yeah, there are stupid people like that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My best friend is gay. Everyone at me school thinks we're dating. But we're completely incompatible.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It does seem to be true more in gay culture than straight that when you get gay guys together, it seems a lot harder to just be friends than otherwise. I co-ran a weekend workshop for gay men (18-25) on relationships and finding a way to make them better and deeper, and one of the advertised-in-advance ground rules was that hookups and sexual activity were not permitted.

We actually had 4 or 5 guys who were interested in the workshop argue about why that rule was grossly unfair. We essentially said "Look, if you can't keep it in your pants for 72 hours, you probably really NEED this workshop, but you'll probably never attend." And all but one of the guys who complained decided not to attend.

I've also heard numerous complaints from gay guys that it really is hard to maintain just a friendship with another gay guy without the person eventually asking to have sex. I think a lot of men are just slutty like that.

13. Milord

They can't.

Welcome to the gay world.
    =/

14. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I find it funny how when men want tons of sex, they're men, but when women do, they're sluts.

:/ Unintentional social sexism.

But I can agree. I mean..I asked out my best friend within a month of meeting him. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Good thing he said no, it would have ended badly.

15. Aiken

You remind me of a picture I saw at a forum.

[​IMG]

16. Tim

Tim

Wow. I totally clicked to respond to this thread.

I forgot I made it. Wow. XD

17. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Oh, boy; just pushed my button.

For starters, the part of the brain that makes us want sex is 2.5 times bigger in men than it is in women, so men are just designed to want more sex than women. This will become more important later.

In our society, the choice of whether a heterosexual couple will have sex rests mostly with the woman. Women are told from birth, "Don't ever let a man force you to do anything you don't want to do," and men are told, "Don't ever try to force a woman; if she says no, that's the end of it." Now don't get me wrong, these are noble messages. However, the issue comes when men AREN'T told, "Don't ever let a woman force you do anything you don't want to do," and women AREN'T told, "Don't ever try to force a man; if he says no, that's the end of it."* The lack of these complimentary messages creates a void, and what is not found in that void is the ability for a man to say no to sex, nor is the encouragement for women to go out and seek sex found in there.

Thus we get a situation where men view having sex with a woman as an accomplishment, because it is. Illegal sexual acts notwithstanding, if a heterosexual couple is to have sex, the man needs to convince the woman to let him have sex with her. This comes not only from the messages each sex receives while growing up, as described above, but also from the fact that men are just hornier than women (remember, the sex part of the brain is 2.5 times as big in men as it is in women). Very rarely does a woman need to convince a man to have sex with her, because men aren't trained to say no. In fact, society tells them that it would be unmanly to turn down a sexual encounter, and the fact that men's brains are 150% more sex driven than women's brains makes saying no even more difficult for them.

Put simply, it is an accomplishment for a man to have sex with a woman, but it is no accomplishment for a woman to have sex with a man. To illustrate this point, when I was in tenth grade, during my health class, my teacher asked the girls in the class to raise their hands if they could go out that night and guarantee that they could have sex if they wanted to. Every single one raised her hand. When he asked the guys to do the same, not a single one did. Put simply, men need to go out and work to have sex, but if a woman wants to have sex, she doesn't have to go out and work for it; it will come to her. This is why there is a double standard between men and women, where a man who has sex a lot is a playboy, while a woman who has sex a lot is a slut; one had to work for it, the other didn't.

This also explains why gay men can be so promiscuous (these are the words of my health teacher, mind you). With no woman to say no, you have those two massive libidos within bodies whose minds haven't been trained to say no to sex. It's like two explosive chemical reactants touching each other without any barrier between them; there's nothing to stop them from doing what they want.

*I know that this doesn't apply universally; in fact, my parents told me as I was growing up that I should never let a woman (later, a man) do anything to me that I wasn't comfortable with. As such, please don't get offended if your parents were evenhanded with the messages they sent you about sex, and please don't attack that specific point of my argument.

18. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I must live in a different world, I have gay friends. We don't sleep with eachother.

19. Iniquity

I went through this same treatment when I wasn't out. Just because some people saw me with a female friend, they had at least some underlying thought that we must be going out. Apparently there isn't a such thing as best friends or even friends anymore, it's just either aquaintance or significant other. I don't believe that, and when I do find some friends that happen to be gay, I won't automatically consider going out with them. Friends have to exist in this day for us to keep going.

20. VentinIntrovert

Well I don't think that this assumption is not only valid towards two homosexual males, but also along with all males. Let me explain. People tend to have a notion that because one is gay that they are attracted males and every males. It's pretty common for straight guys with gay friends to be homophobic because they think that their gay friends are attracted to them. However in reality, a gay man is like a straight woman. They aren't attracted to every male that they see, but are attracted to certain people.