1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncomfortable @ PRIDE

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Blondestud, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Paralyzer

Oooh, might see you there :grin:
    not that we'd hang out or anything... haha, (maybe)

Anyhow, where do you get info for the parades?
    Are these all hosted by some foundation or are they just local?
    I'd like to know when the next one comes up.

2. Emberstone

I know salem, oregon is hosting a willamette pride day on the 2nd of august. I probably wont go, mainly because I am not a highly social person, and I think pride events tend to be more for the more extroverted.

#22 Emberstone, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  3. sexyalex

OK

.................WTF are u guys talking about:eusa_eh:...what the heck is "Pride". I mean i know what Pride(adjective) is but what is..."Pride"(noun)?

4. Paralyzer

Pride as in pride parade.
    A parade is a noun, I'm pretty sure. Pride is just a way to say pride parade except without parade at the end. It's sorta cute I guess, but I guess you could say we were too lazy to type the extra parade at the end of each pride.

5. sexyalex

a Parade? what are they paradeing?:eusa_eh:

6. Paralyzer

Haha, Alex, read the whole thread :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    It's gay pride. They're just doing it for the hell of it I guess, but it's fun (I would imagine) and it's a good way to get in touch with the gay community.

7. sexyalex

:O!

I KNEW IT! it's a parade for gays and lesbians to come out and flaunt their sexuality to the public and pick up names and numbers:eusa_doh:

or...something to that extent....:badgrin:

is it like carnival? you know...jiarating, loud hype music, "bump & grind"? cuz if it's just plain walking around the streets waving colour colour flags then you guys seriosuly need an intervention on your meaning of "fun":dry:

and i am sure those guys took off their shirt cuz the time got all hot and bothering. This summer is the hottest by far according to National Jamaica Metreology Centre:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Paralyzer

HAHA what kind of carnivals do you go to? HAHA, Jiarating or w/e, that's funny :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Carnivals for me are cotton candy and kennel corn.

Look up a video or something and you might understand better. I'd post one but I'm lazy :grin:

9. Quitex

Quitex Guest

I have one for Alex:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5jLPwOapAE[/YOUTUBE]

10. Emberstone

pride events basically are a way to get together as a community, and say we are proud of who we are no matter what anyone tells us.

it is in a way a show of difiance against those who try to suppress us.

however, most of my friends who are also gay are also uncomfortable with the pride scene, mainly because in the end, it is just a social gathering, and though they arent ashamed of who they are, they dont flaunt who they are either. they simply are happy to be themselves no matter what others think, even if they dont join the parade.

also, there is always a few in the crowd who basically are the example of why people are mistrustful of homosexuals and bisexuals... I.E. the guys who wear gstring thongs to pride with a leather belt and vest and a whip and riding crop tucked into their gstrings. in my area, those guys are always the short, fat, and hairy, and it makes me uncomfortable. i understand being proud about your gender orientation and want to make it known your not ashamed of that, but you dont need to advertise the more diviant sexual practices to the world while showing of your asscrack and beer gut that almost precede and cover your gstring itself.

most people dress normal, even if they wear brighter colors then they might normally do. but you always get the few in our area above who really dont have much worth showing, but boy do they show it to the world, then run around hitting on all the young fit guys.

my friends all said the same thing, "your just out of the closet, dont go to salem pride this year, wait till next year, cause it can be a shock to the system."

11. Stargate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Something tells me i wouldnt care for pride. I'm pretty conservative and my attitude is this is who I am and I just want to be left alone. So I wouldnt really care for going round showing it all off.

12. sexyalex

sounds rather disterbing. Seeing short fat hairy naked men is not pg16 :dry:
    However the guy in that video was:lol:

Anyways, paralyzer, i am not talking about "Fairs" i am talking about "carnival" :O
    have u ever heard of Juvait?
    it's kinda like a "pride" for straight people but except at the end ....everyone gets all drunk and starts doing reallly reaallllllly disterbing things. Children are not allowed to go anymore. :astonished:[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=yiZlBIwmiRM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

this video is kinda a uncensored version of what goes on in carni; however i like wacthing on TV...or watching the hot guys get dirty:eusa_clap:lol:

13. Paralyzer

^ I call that Mardi Gras :grin:

14. Emberstone

who knows, in a few years time, i might go to one, but for now, I am still in the process of coming out, so I am not planning to go to the one coming up in august in my area.

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll be happy to know some reggae performers are holding a Straight Pride Event in New York. Stick it to the man!

Lex

16. Spielberg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went to Pride a few days after you did and had the same experience. I felt that people were looking at me strangely since I'm don't fit a stereotype of what a lesbian should look or act like. My straight best friend was assumed to be my girlfriend in some instances, which is understandable. But in others, I think people saw me as a straight conservative or a prude. It was interesting, since I arrived with a few of the vendors (our event isn't a parade, more like tables set up so you can get to know different organizations).

I agree that in a more traditional or small-town venue like ours, you are more likely to find people to relate with. Gay-friendly churches made me feel more comfortable. But all in all, I found the event uncomfortable, even a relic of a previous era, where people spend time shouting about their sexuality instead of integrating it into their daily lives, which is what I'm struggling to do. I did talk to a gay minister in the area, who has to attend the event every year and dreads it each time, since he feels that he doesn't fit the gay stereotypes seen all over during pride.

I wondered, for example, about the man in the tiny shorts and knee-high silver boots. What does he do for a living? Does he have a boyfriend or partner? What are his parents and siblings like? I wish that an event like this would show me the responsible, well-rounded adults who are also gay, would show me that to be gay does not mean I will be a spectacle for the rest of my life.

17. Emberstone

there is a part of me that feels some people who attend the pride events end up doing more harm by how they present themselves. i spoke of the kind my gay friends had encountered at every pride event they went too. people who seem to be the stereotypes people who are anti gay have against gays, but on steroids so to speak.

I might swing by the park and see what its like, but there is still the fact that im only out to my parents. but I am gay, and still a very modest person. I think the fact that I am so modest was because I was self conciouse about my orientation for most of my life. it might still be too soon to be out in the gay scene in my area. there is a gay bar/club, but it is not like i have the money anyways, so i would simply be sitting there, and that seems kind of bad in my view, simply because it is still a buisness and relys on the costs of their food and drink to stay open, and I always fell self conciousue about things like that... hence why i never go to a cafe to write without money to buy something to drink, so i dont feel like I am useing their space without giving them something in return.

18. sexyalex

:roflmao: I never understood the beeds thing:eusa_eh:

is pride the same time all places across the world. I wish Jamaica had one....:confused:

19. Emberstone

i think they are wide spread.

i still get a kick out of the spoof video the daily show did saying men wearing g-string in pride parades was the leading cause of global warming cause they were hawt hawt hawt... of course, they show people who take care of their bodies.