1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Fantasy

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tim, May 27, 2008.

1. Hoppip

From what I've read, in 1987~ the company was having a huge financial crisis and probably about to go bankrupt, so they named their last game Final Fantasy under the assumption it would truly be the last one... and then unexpectedly it turned out to be an immense success and voilà! The rest is history.

2. Nomad187

I really like Final Fantasy 13 I just find that the story is too linear, in other games you get to freely roam and go anywhere you want that you have the current ability to access. With the fighting system I like it, but I find that after a certain poiont no one is really special since everyone can become the same job. No one really has a clearly defined rols like warrior or black/white mage after that point in the game.

3. Cynic

In Loving Memory Regular Member

I'm currently still plowing through FFXIII now. Granted it is probably one of the most linear RPGs I've ever played, there's honestly enough visual wankage to tide anyone over(though I will say some areas visually get very repetitive after a while). The battle system is fairly robust, albeit I prefer the older Active Time Battle system because it gives you much more time to enter commands and gives you breathing time, whereas this battle system requires you to either slam down the X button numerous times every 5 seconds, or chain up abilities and spells within about 3. I'm probably just nitpicking like a motherfuck but I do like it when I can actually see my characters perform their moves rather than just having them ricochet all over the place at 9000mph. Still though, it's a fun battle system. The paradigm shift concept gives a nice hint of strategy.

But yeah, I'm currently reaching the end of the game(Chapter 13) and my goodness, does the difficulty skyrocket. I pretty much grinded like nobody's business back on Pulse and got everyone up to scratch, but the enemies this game throws at you are just constantly testing your party. I've actually died more to the normal enemy encounters than to the bosses, that's quite a first. I can't say I like the Crystarium all too much, I think FFX's Sphere grid was much better by a landslide, but that's probably because it gave me the ability to overlevel my characters whereas this has a cap. But oh well.

4. I was kind of excited because I thought this might be a Final Fantasy/Owen Pallett discussion. I guess I should have realized that discussing the games would be a more popular subject.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I liked 10, I think I spent more time playing Blitz Ball then the actual game though

6. SaiRev3

I've played VII and XIII and those two are my favorite so far! :grin: I've played VIII & X, but I never finished it.

7. Totoro

I've played Final fantasy... 3, 4, 6(not finished though), 7, 8, 10, 13 @_@
    I think # 7 is probably one of the better ones, though I really liked 8 and 4 more so :grin:

8. KittyBoy

Own all of them! I love XII the absolute most, lol, simply because it has a really large and flexible exploration zone as well as a strong plot basis. Unlike X-2, XIII and the others, lol.

9. FinalFantasyFan

FFVI is my favorite... See my avatar. Haha :slight_smile:

I've played it several times, and it's still one of the most amazing games I own. I nearly cry at that one scene with Celes every time. And the music in 6 is amazing!!! Nobuo Uematsu at his finest. IMO, YMMV.

I haven't really played any of the later ones because I never owned a system that I could play them on... :frowning2:

10. VampConspiracy

Okay, so sure, I had a SNES when I was a wee kid. I had little interest in actual "gaming" back then; I abused the hell out of Mario Paint before I had a PC to mess with... MS Paint.

Anydangway, I recently played and finished FF9. I quite enjoyed it, except for that Chocobo Hot & GoToHe--Cold... Hot & Cold. But you cannot deny the awesomeness of the battle music.

I'm in the process of playing FFX. Just like the protagonist from a game I was playing before it, Shadow Hearts: From the New World, Tidus annoys the hell out of me. And that laughing scene is creepier than the parts that are actually supposed to be somewhat creepy...

I'm also in the nowhere-near-middle of FF8. I think I'd rather fire up a SNES emulator right about now.

#90 VampConspiracy, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  11. Kirakishou

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi96ucB7ZdI[/YOUTUBE]

12. xequar

Don't worry, you didn't miss too much. VII was pretty good (but not nearly as good as VI), and VIII was... how to put it mildly? Fucking awful vomitous shit. IX looked ok, but I couldn't afford it when it came out. Fuck X and its mini-game leveling system. After that, I kinda gave up on the series as it seemed they were focusing way more on the glitz and way less on the actual game.

Oh, don't play II either. It's a really bad regurgitation of I.

But, IV and VI and some of the other older ones... Good games, except for VI which is brilliant.

13. MusicIsLife

Ive played IV, the first person shooter to VII: Dirge of Cerberus as well as starting XIII. My brother owns the xbox and playstation 3, so I won't be able to play XIII soon as he's taking it with him to ontario :frowning2:

14. crimsonarcher

FF VII is my personal fav, along with FFX and FFX-2. FFIX is the one game I can replay over and over again, because the storyline is probably the best, imo.

15. Smile

The internet can hold my passion and love for this series. Well, maybe I am being overly dramatic there but I do love this series a lot!

I first played Final Fantasy: Anthology PAL version (so it had FF4 and FF5, unlike other versions which had V and VI I believe) and I found myself completely addicted to Final Fantasy IV. I played it so much! I played Final Fantasy V a considerable amount as well but I got stuck at one point. Can't remember now.

I then went on and played a little bit of Final Fantasy's VI,VII,VIII and IX before my mum bought my Final Fantasy X. I fell in love, well, as much as one can for a game. I have played that game countless times until the day it broke. I still love it just the same.

I then got Final Fantasy I&II for GBA and finished both those games. I love the simplicity of Final Fantasy I and I really like the leveling up system of Final Fantasy II.

I then went on to play Final Fantasy XII a bit after being refused Final Fantasy XI due to pay to play and the online part. I love the changes they did and I think it is a very awesome game, just not as good as others in the series.

It was then that I played the remake of Final Fantasy III for the DS as well as Crisis Core for the PSP. I loved both the games, but Crisis Core that little bit more.

The came Final Fantasy XIII, I got it only a week after release date and I played it almost non-stop and finished the storyline. I LOVE LOVE LOVED it but then I looked back and said, woah, this game has a lot of flaws and I am crying over all the potential I see.

I have also played a few spin offs every now and then.

So that is just a basic timeline of my experiences with Final Fantasy. I am currently playing both Final Fantasy V and VI in order to complete them

16. kem

kem

The games I've played:
    2 - Bought the PSP remake used. At first I found it really hard, but I think I overleveled my characters. It's disturbingly easy.
    3 - I've got the DS remake. I like the characters and the gameplay but overall I think it could've been better. The damage you deal could be a little more consistent for example.
    4 - I've got the DS remake of this, too. It's really fun and the Augment system is nice.
    5 - Never finished this, it's lying somewhere on my hard drive.
    6 - The. best. FF. Hard, but not unpossible, it's enough to keep you motivated.
    8 - The oddball of Final Fantasies; I still like it though. Why don't people like Rinoa? >:
    9 - Just started this, but I haven't had time to play it for a while. Right now I think it's in my top 5.
    10 - My absolute favourite. The plot, the voice-acting, the mini-games.. It's all so 2001, I love it <3
    10-2 Yeah, I have this one too. It's okay, but Cat Nip-Trigger Happy made the game too easy. (Cat Nip= accessory that increases your damage to 9 999 when your health drops low, Trigger Happy= A special ability that gives you a certain amount of time to repeatedly tap R1 to hit. Each press R1= 1 hit, so you get about 16-20 hits each time you use it. Multiply that by three characters, and voilá!)
    12 - It's a really big game. I don't mind the shallow plot, really.
    Dissidia Final Fantasy is awesome, too.

17. Aglaophotis

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My favorites are 7, 9 and 10

18. Hotspot

I have played VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2 and XII.
    I would like to get VI, XIII.
    I didn't like VII or VIII.
    I loved IX, X-2 and XII.

My favorite characters are Quina, Vivi, Freya, Rikku, Lulu, Penelo and Fran.

19. maverick

I'm replaying FFX now, because it's the only one I could find at the shops. (Well, that one and FFX-2 and FFXII). I forgot how much I enjoy playing these games, although MMORPGs are competiting for my game-time these days.

My favorites have always been VII and VIII though. I like IX too, I'm just not such a fan of the cartoon look.

I love all of them though, especially Playstation-and-on Final Fantasy.

I think roleplaying as a hero sort of helped me feel less powerless about my gender identity growing up, if that's not too pathetic of a thing to admit. Especially since most of the RPG heroes are guys whose attitudes I wanted to emulate - an idealistic guy with a small close-knit group of quirky friends who is trying to save the world, for better or worse.

#99 maverick, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011