Any Linux users here?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Miaplacidus, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was wondering how many EC members use Linux. I know for sure that four of us do:

Paul_UK (PCLinuxOS, I don't know the architecture)
    paul7836 (Ubuntu on x86-64)
    step49x (Xubuntu on x86)
    Me (openSUSE 10.2 on x86-64)

Anybody else?

2. Rette

I've been using Ubuntu linux for a while, and I have a semi-functioning Slack partition set up as well

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

x86 (it's an Intel Centrino Duo processor). In fact so far I have just been using the live CD sometimes. I need to get around to installing it properly but I would rather wait until our ADSL line is installed so I can get updates and packages more reliably. It will be set up as a dual boot with WinXP.

4. JSG

JSG Guest

I use Kubuntu on my laptop, but my main computer is an eMac.

5. Rette

forgot to mention my architecture is x86-64 (single-core AMD Turion)

6. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I forgot my other computer!

The Polaris (my old desktop computer) runs Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn" - x86.

7. Hydrogen

On my desktop I use Ubuntu 7.04 [x86], on my server Fedora Core 5[x86-64 x2], and on my laptop (which is what I am almost always on) Win. XP Pro.

Tyler has a MacBook Pro, and runs OSX/XP and Fedora Core 5 using Parallels.

8. GQMan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had ubuntu on Wubi and Ubuntu is alright but I find Vista so much better. I couldn't Ubuntu to mount my Mass Storage Device so i could transfer files to it and the way you have to download software is idiotic. I mean whats the point of making up manually send stuff to a package loader. Which I never figured out so I uninstalled Ubuntu. I still want to try linux so I will try something else eventually.

9. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

Welpers, I guess I'll chime in too.

I started off with Slackware back on version.. six or seven. That's when you could order up a couple of CDs everytime a distro made a major release, since I only had dialup. It worked quite well.. Friends were always amazed that I had my own home network and that I only had a dialup connection.

These days, my main computer is a MacBook running OS X, but I still use Linux a lot in the things I do. My main distro of choice for personal projects is Ubuntu, but I also use Debian and RedHat Enterprise a lot too for work.

Though, with some of the recent stuff coming out in FreeBSD, I'm starting to become a believer of that camp as well.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot the architectures too. Heh.

I've used Linux on things ranging from PowerPC and Sparc chips to AMD/Intel humdrum processors to Intel's Itanium beast. The Sparcs have been my favorite platform (mostly relating to the inclusion of a true serial console). I have yet to have the chance to run Linux on a DEC Alpha, but that line is certainly dead so I'm not sure it'd be at all worthwhile..