What would YOU say to someone if...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Laura17

Laura17 Guest

These religious fundamentalists often argue that the bible can't be interpretated. So lets turn the tables around, shall we:
    In the same law of Moses that condemn homosexuality, it sais just a few lines below, that you aren't allowed to eat raw meat (does that include red meat, e.g. steaks?). It sais that we are not to wear clothing made by more than one kind of fabric at the same time (...), grow more than one crop in the same earth (the vegetable garden is a no-no) and we can't let our beard or hair trim. The bible also sais that handicaps should not be allowed in any temple, infedelity should be punished by death, we can't eat anything from the sea and so on. Why bother arguing?

#21 Laura17, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  2. Janvier

I can't really help you out on that one, the only bad encounters I've had with religious people were with muslims and there was no point in even trying to reason with them..

3. BeautifulStranger

It's not what I've said, it's what I've done.

I always leave. It's not worth arguing when both people are 100% convinced they are correct.

I once had to walk 7 miles home in mud and rain because of one such asshole.

4. pirateninja

I just say "Fine. I ain't gonna argue with you. If you want to ask me questions, go ahead. But if you're trying to make me feel bad, you're wasting your own and my time. D'you want to go play some football now? I'm not contagious, y'know :wink:"

5. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    look them in the eye. smile turn around and leave

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

That is EXACTLY right! Thank you for saying that. I like Jon Stewart's response above or you can say "You may believe that, I don't."

We watched a video on marriage last night at PFLAG and a young teenager said that she didn't understand why a loving God would make people gay and then be angry at them for falling in love and wanting to marry the person that they loved. I mean how easy is that for an explanation?

I don't ever believe you should tell people to fuck off or walk away. Remember they have sat in their churches and been brainwashed by this crap for years. You have the floor and the opportunity to change their heart and mind. Do it respectfully and with dignity, not with harshness. Don't reinforce their opinion of you.

7. BeautifulStranger

I said that to my mom when I was in about... 7th grade or so.
    Her reply "Well, the Devil can get in there too and mess with God's work."

They will find a way to make you wrong everytime.

8. crystaltriforce

then you could ask them if a loving god can't make any mistakes then how do you explain hatred, evil, and the devil. i would like to hear their response.

9. BeautifulStranger

I don't know that story and stuff, but what I can remember is that God created an Angel he fell from grace becoming the devil.
    So God created what became the Devil, but we can't exactly say that God created the Devil.

But that's the story I heard...

10. jotheoneandonly

if they don't acept who i am, then there not my friend. if someone said that to me, i would stare at them and start crying. im easily offended. either that or tell them to piss off and kick them in the shins

11. myra

Stress that you were born gay. Explain that if it is such a horrible sin than God made a mistake with you. But if God is perfect he can't make mistakes. So therefore he made you gay just to send you to hell. But if God loves all his children, why would he create you that way just to send you to hell?

It will get them thinking. Because no one is going to hell just by default.

12. Greggers

Wow Tyler, thats kinda inspiring actually :slight_smile: Standing up for your beliefs FTW

13. Greggers

Yea, thats what i was getting at with this thread :slight_smile: Cause im a religious person, and i know how religious people think. The way to get at them is to show them 1) Your kind and respectful 2) You know your bible 3) You have a good argument. I can do 1, but 2 and 3 is were i tend to loose heh.

14. Charles Marcus

Just take a cross out of your bag and scream "RETRO SATANA" bonus points for holy water botles. :grin:

I think God created US gay, there is some reason for this. And also in genesis are said that God created man at his image, that means God must be a litle bit gay too :slight_smile: And in bible there's place where said God Loves Everyone

15. littledinosaurs

"who the hell are you and why are you preaching to me?"
    Or
    "shut the F*ck up!"
    Or
    "So what are you gonna burn in hell for?"

16. StrataScribe

If someone told me I was going to hell because I was gay, I'd simply say with a bright friendly smile: "See ya there!" and walk away. I've wasted enough time listening to these fools I've got no patience left but I'd rather not get into it with them. So a quick and shift response then I'm gotta there.

17. crookedcurve

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    go and watch The Bible tells me so that movie is about suff like that and it points out how the bible was iterpreted differntly and how words meant differnt things back then abd how it also says things like eating shrimp is just as bad sooo yeah

18. gentlegiant4

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd probably say something like "Well you're certainly entitled to think so. But you'll probably end up there with me, because Ecc 3:17 says 'God will judge both the righteous man and the wicked man, for a time for every matter and for every deed is there' "

or that according to Timothy 2:5, "Believers are rewarded based on how faithfully they served Christ" and that casting judgment upon others is not servitude to Christ, but rather deviance from his teachings.

Well I actually wouldn't; I'd probably say "Are you serious?" Incredulously between fits of laughter. But the first two are more eloquent. :slight_smile:

19. FinalFantasyFan

Going along with the general theme here, I would say that it seems pretty hypocritical for someone who believes in an all loving God to condemn anyone. I've been raised in a Catholic family all of my life, and even though I wouldn't consider myself highly religious, I think that if someone truly believes in God, then they wouldn't pass judgment on anyone for any reason.
    -Sorry for being repetitive.

20. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like all the verses say above....in christianity, god is the only being that can pass judgement on a person. Of course in reality we are a society which revolves around judgement. From minor things like deciding what would look good to wear in the morning to the major things, like sitting on a jury and convicting a murderer to death row. The hard part comes with identifying where the balance should lie. If we stopped with all judgement then society would be run as an anarchy with no order. At the other end of the spectrum homosexuals are judged to be evil and immoral. Its just finding the balance, which is constantly shifting everyday.