1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yuri manga and anime

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by XenaxGabby, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I loved Citrus too! It was a bit slow after the half but still , it was great! Good story and beautiful graphics too.
    Revolutionary Girl Utena is a boring for me. And not yuri, they are friends who are attatched to each other for me and that's all. Or maybe I didn't reach the gay part of the show yet.
    I still have to watch the other ones. Aoi Hana was on my list anyway. But I have to add some more :slight_smile:

2. CuriousLad

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey I sort of liked Citrus too. As for manga, you could give Pieta, Murcielago and yes, After Hours a read.

But I'd love to see more diversity in Yuri and just more manga/anime in the general. It's also interesting how there's a disproportionately high emphasis on Yaoi (Boys love, as they call it) over Yuri. I think it's because both are written by women mostly for women but the difference is that straight women gravitate towards Yaoi more, given how unconventional Japan's homophobia is. Simply put, they don't care about our rights but fetishise us for their entertainment - Lesbian sex for the men and gay sex for the women.

I even think that Japanese women use Yaoi as an outlet for their repressed sexuality. They're so used to being pure dolls for men that they find it amusing to make one of the men (uke) the innocent one, for a change.
    Yuri's completely different though. To enjoy Yuri, they can no longer fantasize from a distance and they'll need to be accepting to a certain degree. They might be more experimental about the LGBT than Japanese men, but their reluctance to actually embrace and enjoy it is reflected in Yuri sales relative to Yaoi sales. After all the men wouldn't care for much apart from the sex scenes, and we know that's not all that Yuri's about.

Aaaargh I just wish the Japanese would start giving Yuri more attention so we'd have more to read.