1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YouTube channel

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sigtu12034, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HI
    So, i wanna start a youtube channel that i would lie to get at least a thousand subscribers on. I don't need all you guys to start telling me stuff like "Its harder than you think" "You're not gonna be able to do it"... etc., because i know that it isnt easy at all since i have experience with a previous gaming channel that only got 500 subscribers after i uploaded like 30 videos. Well, i canceled it...

Now i need some of you guys' advice on how to start. What type of video should i first upload on my channel. (Besides an introduction to the channel because i already took that into consideration)
    The kind of channel i would like to start is a Tyler Oakley/Connor Franta type.

Thank you :slight_smile:

2. YeahpIdk

I think about starting a channel all the time, too! You're really young, so you're in a good spot. Just start doing things and upload. Get ideas down. You might not have a lot of followers for a really long time, but that's the YouTube game -- uploading into space until you start getting bites. You have to be okay with not getting a lot of views or subs for a really long time.

Also think about uploading a viral video. Nothing that will set a bad tone or get you in trouble. That's a way to get attention on you quickly. It doesn't always work, though.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    There are some things to think about.

1) Do things that you find interesting - don't try to censor your own creativity by constantly thinking about what others may be typically interested.
    2) However, it's important to think about your audience. What type of crowd would be interested in your videos? Keep them in mind when making your videos.
    3) Relax, but make it neat. No one likes an all-over-the-place completely random video. Have a theme throughout your video which you can lean back on when you go off on a side-track.

Those are just some things, if I think about more, I can write them later. :slight_smile:

4. mirkku

French, eh... No surprise here. YouTubers is a popular carier option back "home", I guess.

#4 mirkku, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  5. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No one is going to say "Its harder than you think" "You're not gonna be able to do it"... etc.. Lighten up, trust the community a bit more than that :wink:

My advice - keep it short. I tend to fast forward if I watch a video which is more than 10 min long.

6. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I actually run my own youtube channel. Just do whatever you think is fun and cool and would make a good video. Have fun :grin:

7. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone for helping :slight_smile:

I really appreciate it :lol:

8. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Maybe start with a video talking about a funny experience you've had?

Good luck in this!! Also, I'd love to hear more about your channel if you want to share it on here!

9. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

As soon as i start it I'll upload the link here

10. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have a YouTube channel...2 of them actually.

Nether has allot of subscribers, but I was never looking to get a bunch.
    I do it just for fun.

11. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everyone,

Just a quick reminder: It is ok to share experiences and tips, but do not post links to your own channel. That allows off-site contact, which is against our Code of Conduct.

Thanks!

12. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here are some tips from my experience. I've been on YouTube for a couple of years, and though I don't have many subscribers, I've learned much.

Film and upload in HD. If you can't do that now, don't worry about it.

Have a functional nonlinear video editor. The only free one I would possibly recommend is Kdenlive for Linux. You would actually have to install Linux somewhere to use this. I'm trying to do this now. Finding a useable free editor is the most irritating part about making videos.

Create catchy titles, and add appropriate tags to the video while uploading. "How to" videos are quite attractive.

Make your videos concise. If you ramble unnecessarily about something, as I do sometimes, trim that part out while editing.

Make multiple videos about at least one topic you are interested in. I've made many fruit review videos, but due to technical difficulties, I cannot upload them yet.

Upload consistently. If you upload weekly for a month, then skip a month, then people visiting your channel in that month will think that you quit, and most likely won't subscribe. I am at loss due to this.

Be creative and don't copy what others do. Also, you can use some copyrighted music if you talk over it. For royalty free music, visit incompetech | Custom Production Music and also Graph Paper, which I use regularly.

Speak one language most of the time. It helps if that language is English, which most people around the world understand.

If you film something that can only be filmed during a particular time of year, collect those videos and upload them in intervals.

Keep the filming location neat, and don't wear pajamas. If I'm wearing pajamas before I film, I throw on a shirt with buttons, which I usually only wear for filming. That's why I always wear that shirt in the recent videos. (I can't show you my channel, though.)

Use natural lighting if possible.

Make custom thumbnails. Make them larger than a page in a Powerpoint document, but keep them under 2 MB.

Respond to viewer feedback (i.e. in the comments sections).

Don't reveal too much private information. In my "30 Facts About Me" video, I didn't reveal too many details.

I hope this helps. Have a nice day!