1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Youth Groups

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Avery W, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Avery W

Out Status:
    A few people
    There is a youth group in the city (which is 15 minutes away because public transport) that I've been trying to get the confidence to go to for the past month.

I'm FtM and 14. Which poses the small problem of being a minor. I'm out to my Mom, though she doesn't believe me.
    The options for me are:
    Attend irregularly with the help of one of my friends covering for my absence (I have pretty strict parents about where I can be and what I can do.:bang:slight_smile:

OR

Explain to Mom what I want to do (taking the risk of being barred from going) and try to convince her that I'm not just in a phase, or trying to get attention.

Advice/other peoples experiences?

Thanks in advance,
    Avery.

2. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would try being honest first. Showing that you want to participate in this group might show her that you are being serious and could even provide her with an oppertunity to better understand transgenderism.

If that doesn't work, well, you tried to be honest, time to get your friends to help you sneak out. And that way if you get found out, you can be like "well I tried to be honest and make you see how serious I am, do you believe me now?!"

3. ANewDawn

Agreed. Your mom might surprise you. And if she takes you personally she might just learn something, or be swayed by your commitment.

4. PossumJack

I tried to convince my mom to let me attend a trans* youth group once. It didn't end well and she basically told me they'll try to "convince me to become trans" because apparently they have a "trans agenda". It was...unintentionally hilarious.

But still, I think it's a good idea to at least ask her first. If she says no, then at least you have a solid reason for getting your friends to smuggle you out of the house.